Trying To Find Solution to Intermittent Clock Display

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying To Find Solution to Intermittent Clock Display

I am having a problem with my 06 Navi TSX.

The LCD sitting up above my touch screen - on top of the center console (the LCD with the clock, HVAC Temp numbers etc) is intermittent - it will fade out or go off depending on temperature and bumps in the road. To see the time I can hit the top of the dash and it will sometimes light it back up.

Seems like a much different problem than the "Center Console Lights" problems I have found talked about and covered here. All of my other dials and lights are fine...

It seems like a loose connector - as everything works. I would love to fix it without much hassle, but don't know where to start.

Anyone have any ideas???? Thanks!!!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Cruisin'

Normally I am not one to answer my own questions...

I have been looking for a fix to this problem for several months. I finally decided to post a request for help - then after posting did some more digging and searching. I found some people with the same problem with TL's and RL's but no TSX's. After about an hour of looking at those fixes and the TSX center column fix I decided I had a shot at fixing the problem by taking out the center NAV unit and trying to get to the top clock LCD.

I found one of the DIY Center Console Fix threads and decided what the hell - let me take it apart and see if I can get the LCD out and try to figure out what is wrong.

It is now fixed!!!

I took off the 2 dash trim pieces, the hazard button, and then finally pulled out the NAV unit from the dash. This allowed me to get to the top display by removing 2 additional screws just above the vents. The clock display came right out with just a little tug. It had one green wire connector on the back side. I then took the entire LCD assembly apart to look at the PC-Board. The pins for the connector had pretty bad looking solder around them, so I took them into my work and used our good soldering iron and microscope inspection station to touch up the board.

After I reassembled everything it now works!!!

I only had 2 mishaps trying to get the trim pieces and the NAV unit out of the dash. The long passenger side trim piece ended up with a tiny hairline crack on one area while I attempted to pry it off - you can't even see the crack once it is put back together. I also couldn't initially find the small hex screws way up inside the console and kept trying to pull the NAV unit out to no avail. Once I found the two small hex screws, and removed them, the NAV unit came right out!
Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 PM
Cruisin'

This thread has good images of the correct service manual pages showing the steps I used to get the NAV unit out and get to the HVAC-Clock LCD...

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...ailure-925093/