Track info for Isimple in 05 TSX w/o Navi

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Track info for Isimple in 05 TSX w/o Navi

I bought a new Isimple unit to connect to my 05 TSX without Navi. The installation went very smooth. I followed the steps exactly as mentioned in the manual. Once the Isimple is connected, I connected an ipod and pressed CD/XM/AUX to switch to XM. I could hear the ipod tracks clearly on XM1 and XM2. But, I couldn't see the track information on the screen. The only thing that is displayed is "AUX1". I tried to cycle through text by pressing "Disp". Still I couldn't see any kind of text on the screen other than "Aux1". When I turn the right knob, I cycle through the tracks. I verified the connections multiple times and everything seemed to be alright. Does anyone had this problem? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I have an 05 non-navi with the Isimple.

If you have the sound system on radio (AM or FM) and you press the CD/XM/AUX button, the display should briefly show you "XM - 100" then IPOD or SAT or AUX1 or AUX2 depending on which is selected. During that brief period showing IPOD etc, you can turn the tuning knob and move the display reading through IPOD-SAT-AUX1-AUX2. Stop when the display reads the input you want.
IPOD gets you audio and control (steering wheel and radio controls) of the IPOD jack from the Isimple.
SAT gets you XM radio.
AUX1 gets you the Ipod audio but no control. You can use the Ipod controls to select tracks.
AUX2 gets you the second 3.5mm min-phone jack audio. No control.

I have found the timing of selecting the input is a bit tight by turning the tuning knob. Shortly after pressing the CD/XM/AUX button, there is a small time (maybe 1-2 seconds) during which the Isimple can have its input changed among IPOD-SAT-AUX1-AUX2.

The other problem I have experienced, is after selecting the IPOD input, the unit is playing fine and the controls work. But the radio display shows something like XM1 CH100. I don't know what this display means but to change it - press the DISP-MODE button to change it to show artist, track name.

In the end, I have been happy with the Isimple - the audio performance is about as good as the stock TSX system can deliver.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the detailed reply. I missed the part to turn the knob to select "ipod". It works good now. Do you know if there is any way to turn off the ipod charging after the car is off? It seems to be on always.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
I've had an iSimple in my car for several months. It works great! In order to solve the XM-100 display bug you need to update the firmware. There's an update and detailed instructions on the web site.

Also, mine doesn't charge while the car is off. Well, it does if the key is in the Aux position, but once I turn the key off, it doesn't seem to be charging. My iPod pretty much always stays hooked up in the car and its never been an issue.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine charges when the key is turned off. The display of the Ipod does go dark and I suspect that the recharging drain is minimal - especially after the Ipod battery is fully recharged. I contacted Peripheral (maker of Isimple gateway) and they said the recharging cannot be turned off when the car is off.

I also encountered the Isimple wouldn't recharge older Ipods problem. Until recently (maybe the past year or so), Ipods could recharge on a USB or Firewire connection. The newest Ipods will only charge on USB connection. The Isimple in its earliest forms was supplied with an Ipod cable that provided Firewire voltages only - thus the new (USB) Ipods would not recharge when connected to the Isimple - the controls worked fine. The best fix is a new Isimple to Ipod cable that provides USB voltages. If you have a newer Isimple, you don't have the problem.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Pro

easy fix, toggle between Am/fm to the XM and really quickly, you turn the "tune" knob. When that happens it shoudl switch from Ipod/Aux1/etc etc. Switch it to ipod and it will show you the tracks. Mine is a navi so it might be different. But hope that helped.