TPMS, Corrosion, and Value Stem Covers

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS, Corrosion, and Value Stem Covers

I had my oil changed at the dealership 04-10-09. On 04-20-09, I noticed that three of my value stem covers were missing. I called the dealership and was told that there was a TSB advising the removal of the metal value stem covers from all the models with the TPMS. I was able to glance at a piece of paper that seemed to indicate that any metal value stem covers were to be replaced with plastic covers. I was not able to get a TSB Number nor date because I was rushed.

Apparently, the dealer removed three of my metal value stem covers, did not replace them with any other covers, and did not inform me that they had done so. I told the dealer that I wanted the covers and made another 32 mile round-trip to pick up replacements of the same type (pulled off of some other car) -- I call this kind of service "customer disservice". I currently plan to use the metal covers with some anti-corrosion gel from Super-Lube, (1-800-253-5823, Item #82003). I will accept responsibility for any harm to the value stems and any TPMS units.

Does anyone have a TSB Number or any other information. My car, I believe, came with the metal covers -- but I don't know if they were factory or added by the dealer. What is needed are some metallic looking plastic covers to better match the wheels -- rather than those generic, cheap looking, black plastic covers.

There are a couple of related post on the forums. Search for "TPMS".
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=TPMS

But, if you have metal value stem covers and wish to keep them, remove them before taking your car in for service. I strongly advise anti-corrosion gel if you continue to use them and to also check for any signs of corrosion once a month (look for any residue). Snow, ice, temperature changes, and water (rain) would probably be contributing factors. But, the basic issue is apparently galvanic action (an electric current) from two dis-similar metals.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
This is the Service Bulletin for several of the Honda models that came from the factory with metal caps.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A05-068.PDF

The dealer should have (or can get) the replacement silver plastic caps to replace the metal ones.