Timing Chain Plastic Guide

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Plastic Guide

Hey all,

Im new to this forum and would like some suggestions regarding my issue. My TSX is a 2008 and i just found out that my timing chain guide snapped. The mechanic im working with is suggesting that i replace the timing chain along with the plastic guide. Im trying to figure out if this true or not and if it is, is it a worthwhile investment? Ive called a few places and the quotes generally range from $500-$1200.

Backstory:
I went in for a state inspection this Monday and requested that they let me know things that should be taken care of because i wanted to give me a car a little bit of tlc. They informed me of a bunch of potential issues and i agreed to having 4 new rotors and brake pads, an oil change, and a few new filters along with 2 new front tires. This all cost me $1400. I picked it up 2 days later, drove it off the lot and noticed that the forgot to put on a new inspection sticker....no biggie...things happen. I went back and informed them of the mishap and they were apologetic. 15 minutes later the mechanic comes into the waiting room and asks me if i ever had any problems starting my car which I havent except for sometimes on the first startup of the day where i hear a kind of deep rattling noise but it goes away after the engine has turned over. Another 15 minutes goes by and the guy comes back out with a black sparkplug. I tell him to just replace all of them. Again another 15 mintues goes and the guy comes back out and tells me they have hit a "hitch." They gave me a loaner car because i needed to go to work at this point. Much later that day i was really concerned about my vehicle because they hadnt called me about it for hours so I called them. The manager told me to come by the shop that evening. I went in and the mechanic that was there at the time showed me the snapped off timing chain guide.

Im not sure if this place is trying to take me for a ride or if this is all just a big coincidence. Something doesnt feel right about the situation so I thought I would come here and get some more opinions.

Thank you in advance for your input.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
A 2nd opinion is never a bad idea, and if you have bad feelings, trust them.

No one can tell much from such a post.

good luck