suspension creak

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspension creak

hey
Car just got back from the shop as it was rearended. The shop has a good reputation but when I drove it there was a creak from the backend. First I thought it was miss-aligned panels, but whenever I push down on the back bumper the suspension creaks. Has anyone else had this problem? Any input would be great, I did a search and nothing came up about this subject.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:35 AM
Faster, please.

I'm so glad I'm not alone. Here's my situation: I have had what seems like the same noise from my car for about 2 months now. I was in an accident but it was a front end collision, nothing towards the back so that shouldn't have caused the problem. The sound is like a metal on metal creaking noise anytime I hit a bump and sometimes when I push down on the rear like you said. The sometimes part is the problem. I've had the car in to Acura twice now and each of those 2 times the noise stopped, just for that day. I know they must think I'm crazy or stupid, but it really is strange how the noise disappears for a day or two when I go to take it in. I just got the car back last week and the next day it started again. The dealer understandably says they can't fix a noise that can't be heard. Keep me posted on what you figure out and I'll do the same.

I also have the comptech rear sway bar which may or may not have anything to do with the problem.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Faster, please.

To give a better picture of what it sounds like, other than metal on metal, imagine a creaky mattress and box spring with a 400 lb. person jumping on it. Or a rusty old 1970 Buick station wagon from the ghetto - it's that bad.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,841 Likes on 2,575 Posts
I have the same sound too. Now mine didnt start till I added my new suspension but it was top quality tein so I shouldnt have a problem let me know if you can figure it out cause the shop that installed my coilovers tells me there is nothing loose or rubbing.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:28 AM
Faster, please.

I found another thread here that sounds like the same problem. People mentioned lubing the bushings on the sway bar. I'm going to bring mine back into Acura soon since the noise is back in full effect and mention that as a possibility.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:59 PM
STi'd

i just finished installing my comptech rear sway with urethane bushings and I have that same noise. I made sure I greased the bushings according to Energy Suspension's instructions, but the noise is still there and getting worse.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:02 PM
STi'd

Update: Clunking noise was due to endlinks coming loose. Re-tightened and everything's fine now.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 PM
Instructor

update: noise was from a bent suspension componant which will be replaced by insurance. damage was from accident that happened a few weeks ago.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Any idea which suspension component is being replaced?
Old 04-19-2005, 01:06 PM
Top notch 6MT

Originally Posted by gavinn58
Update: Clunking noise was due to endlinks coming loose. Re-tightened and everything's fine now.
How tight do they need to be? How do I tell if they are coming loose?

Does the rear need to be jacked up to get at re-tightening them?

I've been having some noise (sounds like metal tapping) from the back (no accident) that haven't been able to identify. I've checked all possible sources mentioned on a-tsx so far, even checked to see if endlinks are broken or something, but they look fine.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:39 PM
STi'd

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
How tight do they need to be? How do I tell if they are coming loose?

Does the rear need to be jacked up to get at re-tightening them?

I've been having some noise (sounds like metal tapping) from the back (no accident) that haven't been able to identify. I've checked all possible sources mentioned on a-tsx so far, even checked to see if endlinks are broken or something, but they look fine.
I thought I had tightened them enough, however after reading a post by dan martin, he mentioned his endlinks came loose after a test drive, so that's what I checked on. I actually didn't torque it to spec, but made them quite tight. You'll have to use the hex key to keep the bolt from spinning just as you did when you uninstalled the stock bar. I'd also check the bolts that hold the bushings in place, as mine loosened up a bit too. At first I thought my rear strut came loose as it sounded like the noise was coming from high up near the rear seat headrest.

Also, the car can be on full load. I had my car up on ramps when I did the install and re-tightening.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Im going home this weekend, so I'll find out from my dad which part is being replaced.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:43 AM
Top notch 6MT

I thought I had tightened them enough, however after reading a post by dan martin, he mentioned his endlinks came loose after a test drive, so that's what I checked on. I actually didn't torque it to spec, but made them quite tight. You'll have to use the hex key to keep the bolt from spinning just as you did when you uninstalled the stock bar. I'd also check the bolts that hold the bushings in place, as mine loosened up a bit too. At first I thought my rear strut came loose as it sounded like the noise was coming from high up near the rear seat headrest.

Also, the car can be on full load. I had my car up on ramps when I did the install and re-tightening.
Looks like one slight misunderstanding here. My car is still bone stock, no mod on suspension or rear sway whatsoever at this point.

But could the noise I hear still be the loose endlinks?

Like I mentioned before, I checked the endlinks for being broken or something. I only crawled as low as I can and visually look at them and reach one hand to kind of tug on them.

I am thinking to go ask the dealer about it when I get my 1st service when I hit 6 months or 8,000km. I think to politely suggest to them if the endlinks are a bit loose based on other owners experience. Is that OK? I hope I can get a tech to ride with me and that the noise shows up during that
Old 04-20-2005, 11:37 AM
STi'd

Originally Posted by 05_TSX_GP
Looks like one slight misunderstanding here. My car is still bone stock, no mod on suspension or rear sway whatsoever at this point.

But could the noise I hear still be the loose endlinks?

Like I mentioned before, I checked the endlinks for being broken or something. I only crawled as low as I can and visually look at them and reach one hand to kind of tug on them.

I am thinking to go ask the dealer about it when I get my 1st service when I hit 6 months or 8,000km. I think to politely suggest to them if the endlinks are a bit loose based on other owners experience. Is that OK? I hope I can get a tech to ride with me and that the noise shows up during that
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I thought you already had a comptech sway bar installed. It wouldn't hurt to check the tightness of the endlink since you can get to it without jacking the car up but it's just easier if it's raised up since you have more room. Good luck with the tech hearing the noise since it always seems to disappear when they're around. I took my car in last week because the doors were rattling again and guess what didn't happen??
Old 04-22-2005, 11:54 AM
Top notch 6MT

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood. I thought you already had a comptech sway bar installed. It wouldn't hurt to check the tightness of the endlink since you can get to it without jacking the car up but it's just easier if it's raised up since you have more room. Good luck with the tech hearing the noise since it always seems to disappear when they're around. I took my car in last week because the doors were rattling again and guess what didn't happen??
That's alright. Yeah, won't hurt to check for that anyway.

At least the noise isn't really driving me crazy (yet) and it seems to be the only rattle/noise on my car, so I am not too worked up over it. Will get to the bottom of it sooner or later