Supercharger coolant leak..etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 05:33 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Supercharger coolant leak..etc

As i mentioned is previous posts, I was experiencing a small coolant leak by the manifold fitting (It is on step # 18 of the comptech instructions). Originally, i thought the screw clamp used on the hose came loose which caused it to leak. I took it to a performance shop recommended by my buddy who has a S/Ced TSX and he found that the leak was actually coming from in between the brass fitting and the manifold. He found that the brass fitting was cross threaded... Now i thought this fitting came already attached to the s/c manifold. Is this a design defect?

Anyway, he rethreaded it and attached it and put sealant around it as well. I was also complaining about a strange chain sound at low rpms and strange noises around the tensioner area. He found that the tensioner plate was very slightly misaligned. However, it was no fault of the previous mechanic because all the spacers provided by comptech were used. He found a massive amount of belt shavings when he took the tensioner off. He said it is normal for the belt to leave shavings but not of that magnitude. Anyway, the mechanic used a vernier caliper to measure distance between the bracket and the pulley from the top and the bottom portions of the plate. He made a few adjustments and i think he added an additional spacer. He kept on trying until he got it aligned as close as possible. I also purchased a new s/c belt so he installed that as well.

All seems to be good now. The chain sound i was complaining about doesn't seem to happen anymore. The car also feels like it has more low end torque for some reason. Now when i floor the car from a stop, the tires squeel ultra loud and it triggers the VSA. Previously, it was more difficult to trigger the VSA and make the tires squeel. I'll keep monitoring under the hood to make sure the leak doesn't come back...but now i'm pretty happy. My next step is to have the car dynoed.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
interesting...i notice a sound as well during idle and when i put the car in reverse...it's a more noticeable when in reverse...i might have to check this out...
Old 08-14-2006, 11:47 PM
Pro

The two bolts that goes on the brass bushings at the side of the tensioner bracket has to be torqued just right. If it is tighened too much, the assembly would seize and won't be able to pivot. I just bought myself a torque wrench and torqued the bolts to 16.5lbs.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:00 AM
Instructor

hey NJTSXman i was looking to buy some turbo, u have a AT or MT? can u give me a sound clip?