squeeking clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeeking clutch

Everytime I push in the clutch in or out it squeeks,the dealer has change the master cylinder once and greased it a couple times. Would anybody know whats wrong, they obviously do not know.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Almost Doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you heard the squeak coming from the engine compartment or only inside the car?

Typically what happens is the grease between the clutch slave rod and the clutch release lever wears off and you get metal on metal contact causing a squeak or creak. It doesn't cause any damage, just an annoyance. Purchase some Honda Super Hi-Temp Urea grease and you can fix the issue yourself. Or, have the dealer do it. Mine started doing the dreaded clutch click AND creaking in the engine compartment. A little silicone grease on the master rod and a little Urea grease on the slave and everything is back to normal.

If it's coming from inside the car, I'd say replace your master cylinder but it seems that you've already done that.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeB
Everytime I push in the clutch in or out it squeeks,the dealer has change the master cylinder once and greased it a couple times. Would anybody know whats wrong, they obviously do not know.
the master cylinder has nothing to do with the clutch or pedal tell the dealer to drain the slave cylinder properly i just did it 2 man job 1 guy pumping the clutch pedal and the other guy size 8 spanner draining the nipple on slave cylinder. i recommend every 30odd k there abouts. the pedal feels like a feather after it done properly

Last edited by nigelboyne; 10-27-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 PM
El Cunado

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I took my '05 to the dealer about this and they 'took the area apart, cleaned, and lubricated the pivot points" and it's all gravy now. The pedal motion feels a lot more fluid and it's silent. They gave me a free loaner car and the job was only $50 out of warranty.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Almost Doctor

Originally Posted by nigelboyne
the master cylinder has nothing to do with the clutch or pedal
You're completely wrong here. There are two master cylinders. The brake master AND the clutch master cylinder. The other end of the clutch pedal is attached to a rod that pushes on the clutch master cylinder piston. This is actually a problem area on the TSX for clicking. Many dealers replace the master but really the push rod just needs to be greased up. The squeaking that the OP is referring to IS usually caused by the slave cylinder push rod grinding on the clutch release lever.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the last time I went in at the dealer they said that every Tsx does this. I find this funny
that am paying a crazy price for my car amd this is the anwser I keep getting.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by huludicidal
You're completely wrong here. There are two master cylinders. The brake master AND the clutch master cylinder. The other end of the clutch pedal is attached to a rod that pushes on the clutch master cylinder piston. This is actually a problem area on the TSX for clicking. Many dealers replace the master but really the push rod just needs to be greased up. The squeaking that the OP is referring to IS usually caused by the slave cylinder push rod grinding on the clutch release lever.
is the slave cylinder not the same as clutch cylinder another name for it. i taught there was just 2 cylinders master which looks after the braking system and the slave cylinder which looks after the clutch
Old 10-31-2010, 03:47 PM
Almost Doctor

Nope, the terms slave and master have specific meanings in hydraulics. You always have a master that applies pressure to the hydraulic fluid, then the hydraulic fluid applies pressure on the slave that does the mechanical work. For our brakes, there are four slaves, the brake caliper pistons. For the clutch, there is only one slave, and of course we just call it the clutch slave cylinder, and it just applies force on the clutch release lever.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Advanced

i think your complicating things but i stand corrected i had this grinding squaky clutch pedal and it was sorted with the slave or clutch cylinder drained properly 2 man job pumping the clutch pedal bleed the niple, the main reason this happens is air gets into the system which puts pressure on the slave cylinder. i have 250k on my car and suggest slave cylinder drained every 30k max, i found greasing up at the bulk head useless once the noise starts
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Almost Doctor

Your terminology is so strange, but that is off topic. Why/ how is there air in your clutch hydraulics? The only way for air to get in is if there is a leak. If there's a leak, there are parts that need replacing. This is not normal. Air should never enter a properly maintained hydraulic system.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by huludicidal
Your terminology is so strange, but that is off topic. Why/ how is there air in your clutch hydraulics? The only way for air to get in is if there is a leak. If there's a leak, there are parts that need replacing. This is not normal. Air should never enter a properly maintained hydraulic system.
a lot of things should never happen but they do. at a guess i would say most mechanics drain the clutch fluid from the resevoir and air gets into the system, this pushes air into the pipe work causing the grinding and noise in the clutch pedal,
Old 11-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Racer

Looking for an older thread, really about MT drivability, I found this one. I've had the creaking clutch pedal for a long while, off and on, and eventually mentioned it to the dealer. The dealer replaced the master cylinder, and everything was quiet, and otherwise the same. A couple of years ago I pre-emptively had the dealer replace the clutch fluid.

This week the car went in for service and the technician thought something was not right with the clutch pedal - too low to the floor - and asked someone else for an opinion; it had seemed the same to me. In the end, they bled the mastercylinder and PRESTO, the annoying jerkiness of the 1-2 shift I've been working so hard to smooth over [for 4 years] is gone, and the really annoying jerkiness, when you roll off the clutch in stop-and-go traffic, at idle, with no gas, is also gone.

I'm sorry it's taken so long, but the change is refreshing. I've only ever driven 3 TSX's and both of the 06's, including mine, and those of many others on this board, have had the same problem, which, I guess, we shouldn't have ignored. It looks, however, like they've found my fix.