Squealing sound - serpentine belt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:02 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squealing sound - serpentine belt?

Hey guys, I guess I'm new to Acurazine as a registered user although I've been referring to it since I've had my first gen TSX.

Anyway, I've had a squealing sound for a long time (almost 8 months) coming from what I thought was the serpentine belt. It seemed to be squealing only when I had the A/C running so naturally I thought it was the belt. The car has 70k miles and the belt hadn't been changed yet.

So a few weeks ago I decided to change the belt myself.

I removed the belt and put the new one on, fairly easy job. The old belt looked pretty nasty, lots of what looked to be rust residue.

I put the new belt on and everything was good at first, until I started hearing squealing again the next day.

It only squeals when I have the A/C on and it squeals louder when I'm turning and/or braking.

So maybe you can help me figure out what could be the problem? I guess it could be anything that is directly or indirectly connected to the belt. So this could mean the P/S pump, A/C compressor, Alternator or any one of the pulleys on these systems correct? Or could something else be squealing?

Seems like a daunting task to diagnose myself. Is there any way I can find out what's wrong without taking the car to the rip-off dealer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:02 PM
RIP RBP

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
It sounds like one of your pulleys or one of the components related to the belt is not turning freely. I say that because of the rust residue.
I'd say the pulley because, it contacts the flat back side of the belt and less contact = slippage.

GL
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

mine does it also only when I start going again not when driving planing on changing the belt also hopefully it will fix my troubles I hope its not the master clutch its been changed 4 times so far
Old 06-11-2011, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the insight guys. Maybe I'll just take it to the dealer and get a diagnosis.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
more than likely a tensioner. but it could be water pump bearing,
Old 06-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by invalidalias
more than likely a tensioner. but it could be water pump bearing,
I agree.... tensioner
Old 06-20-2011, 03:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Motoriginal

It only squeals when I have the A/C on and it squeals louder when I'm turning and/or braking.

So maybe you can help me figure out what could be the problem? I guess it could be anything that is directly or indirectly connected to the belt. So this could mean the P/S pump, A/C compressor, Alternator or any one of the pulleys on these systems correct? Or could something else be squealing?

Seems like a daunting task to diagnose myself. Is there any way I can find out what's wrong without taking the car to the rip-off dealer?

Thanks in advance.
actually you can check.

since you know how to replace the serp. belt, look at the alternator. there's a marker that will let you know if your belt is out of spec or not. if it's out of spec with a new belt, then you might have a bad tensioner or the wrong belt.

remove the belt, and spin each pulley. notice if the pulley makes a grinding noise or not and check if the pulley have any play with it.

the fact that you say you only hear noise with the ac on .. leads me to say that its mostlikely the ac pulley or the tensioner. we all know the 04 05 have an issue with the ac clutch/pulley shearing off.