Squeaky drivers window

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Squeaky drivers window

Since last Friday (when I got my car Krown-sprayed -- rustproofing), my drivers' window has been making an awful squeak sound when rolling it up or down, when the window is about 1/2 way up/down.

It started happening after I cleaned the exterior of the window 3x with Stoner's invisible glass and also Windex, to remove the fine oily mist left behind by the Krown oil-spray rustproofing application. Did I "overclean" the window and make it quite literally too squeaky-clean?

I will be checking the bottom seal and felt tonight and cleaning that, but since it only makes the sound at about 1/2 way up/down I'd doubt it's the seal -- it should make the sound throughout the entire range of travel if it were the bottom seal, shouldn't it?

Is there anything I can try on the window or seal to eliminate this but not make streaks? If I need to get INTO the door to check the tracks, is this a pretty difficult task? I have the Helm's but don't want to go breaking things unnecessarily if it's too difficult.

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:06 AM

Well I did some digging and found a TSB that adresses this issue (it's in the big TSB/Recall thread in the FAQ section).

Basically it is a worn out or problematic inner weatherstrip (the rubber, not felt one) and all that's required is replacing it (remove ~10 screws/bolts, some clips and then the door panel is off... peel off weatherstripping and replace).

I might try getting some moleskin felt on there before I go pay what will probably be a small fortune for this piece of rubber.

Oh, and FYI, the test to see if the weatherstrip is the problem is to insert a piece of paper or thin cardboard between the window and the inner weatherstrip, then test for noise by rolling the window down and up. If the noise is gone but returns when the paper is removed, then the weatherstrip is the problem.

I cleaned it thoroughly and the noise still exists. I'm not sure what exactly went 'wrong' with this basic piece of rubber, but it's damn annoying!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:05 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for me.. i used the pointed corner of a rag, and wiped/clean all 3 sides of the rubber where the glass goes into when you roll it up. i really jammed the rag into the track as best i could to try to wipe it down. worked for me.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:37 PM

I forgot to update this but I had found a place locally that sells moleskin felt, but he recommended to try spraying the inner weatherstrip (rubber) and the vertical rubber tracks on the window frame, with a silicone spray (Jig-A-Loo, etc.). I did it and it worked like a charm. I'll make this a quarterly maintenance thing with my cars now since the silicone is made to help condition and keep rubber seals performing properly.