Squeaky Brake

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:56 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Squeaky Brake

Hello! I have a 2006 TSX with 36k miles. I commute 60 miles round trip each day. The brake started making this soft high pitch squeaky noise at around 31k miles whenever I brake at slow speed. I also noticed that the sound becomes slightly more noticeable and frequent after being in the rain.

Anyway, I brought my car to the Acura dealer when I first noticed this issue. They told me that the rear brakes of all TSX tend to wear out much faster than the front and it's a common issue. The dealer told me to replace the rear brake at ~ 35k and front brake at ~50k.

So now I'm at 36k, contemplating whether i should spend $200 on replacing my rear brake.... What do you guys think?? Your inputs are greatly appreciated!
Old 02-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
No way for $200. Are you somewhat mechanically inclined? If you are, you can do it yourself. You'll need tools though, but it's not hard to do a brake job yourself. Plus, there are many after market brake pads better than OEM.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Instructor

did the dealer say they could cut the rotors? might save you some money
Old 02-22-2008, 12:26 AM
3rd Gear

Girl= no tools. so I don't really have an option...
I'll look into the rotors part...

I checked with a local mechanic and this is what he told me... "normaly the rear pads last longer than the front, when you brake all the weight of the car goes forward and transfers to the front wheels." That's what I thought too... Doesn't this contradict what the Acura dealer told me (change rear brake at 35k and front at 50k)?? I'm confused!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by LovingMyTSX
Girl= no tools. so I don't really have an option...
I'll look into the rotors part...

I checked with a local mechanic and this is what he told me... "normally the rear pads last longer than the front, when you brake all the weight of the car goes forward and transfers to the front wheels." That's what I thought too... Doesn't this contradict what the Acura dealer told me (change rear brake at 35k and front at 50k)?? I'm confused!
Your mechanic was half right. Usually, front brake pads do wear faster than rear pads (for the reasons he stated), but this doesn't appear to be the case with the TSX according to most reports made here (including the brakes on my 05). It seems (to me anyway) that the reason why the rear pads wear faster is that the brakes are too small; it's as easy as that (a rare engineering misstep by Honda). I don't think you really can make mileage assumptions based on other than what's considered the "normal" life expectancy. My 05 with 66K miles on it is still on the original front pads (they're probably only like half worn), though I did replace the rear ones (the dealer told me they were at 10%; once I got them off, I discovered they actually still had quite a bit of pad left, though I replaced them anyway). But those are all highway miles and I'm sure that's why they're lasting so long. It really is an easy job, and if you can't find somewhere here to help you out (you could ask), check around and see what you can come up with for prices. As long as the brakes don't appear to be shuddering or pulsating (which may indicate warped rotors, although that would be more likely the front rotors), you shouldn't need to have the rotors "turned" (the present surface on the rotor is shaved off to give the new pads a smooth surface to work with). There are a ton of pads to choose from for replacements. I'd defer to those here who may be more qualified to make a recommendation (just don't buy more than you need).
Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you search around on this site you'll see many owners reporting that the rear pads wear faster. If you've never had problems with your brakes and you were happy with their performance then there is no reason to go to other/aftermarket brands. Find a locally owned brake shop or even a respected national chain and get a quote for the labor. Then check on-line prices or look on e-bay for genuine honda replacement brake pads (Acura of Escondido or Lynwood Acrua both sell them).
Old 02-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe you didn't hear the dealer correctly or they are just BSing you.

First off squeaking brakes occur when there isn't sufficient molykote grease on the shims which are on the back of the brake pads. If someone takes off the caliper sometimes this is enough to have the grease flake off so that could be what happened in your case.

If the pads squeak when you are driving and they stop when you brake, that is your wear indicator telling you it is now time to change your brakes.

The dealer should have told you how much padding is left on the back and what the limit is. If they didn't call them back or take a look at the pads yourself. You should be able to see how much is left with a flashlight.

Yes the rear pads do wear faster then the front as there is less material on the rear versus the front.

You never need to get your rotors resurfaced. If they are warped you need new rotors. Resurfacing them will only make the issue come back again in the near future.