Squeaking while turning wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squeaking while turning wheel...

As the title says, has anyone experienced a squeaking sound when turning the steering wheel both sides? I took it to the dealer this morning, but just wondering if im the only one so far with this issue. Its an 04 5AT. The dealer gave me a TL as a loaner, which I have been waiting to drive but I didnt feel comfortable with it I prefer the TSX. TL does have serious power though.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Not on my TSX, but I did have this on another car. Turned out the power steering fluid needed to be replaced.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:31 PM
Pro TSX user

Squeaking must stop

Usually it means the belt is not tight, and it used to be simple task to adjust it, and it gets quiet.

Our TSX has a spring-loaded tensioner (finally), so there is not much you can do.

My car was making that squeaking sound constantly when I got it, maybe because it was sitting for some time. I sprayed some silicon lubricant spray, it got quiet in an instant. It's been a few days - not a problem.

Someone advised me to use WD-40, but I did not think it was a good idea, so I never tried.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:36 PM
Advanced

I just came from the dealer and they told me they just lubed the steering column, it doesnt make the noise anymore. I also had a problem with the center console. Everytime I open it the thing would squeak. I know from working at a Honda dealer that the hinge just needs to replaced, but they said it just needed to be lubed, but now it doesnt stay open it just slams shut if i let it go. Isnt it supposed to stay open until you push it closed?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:26 AM
Pro TSX user

That sounds like a lot of trouble for an 06 vehicle. Definitely not a normal case. You don't have a lemon?

Cheers!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Advanced

actually its an 04, and last night while parallel parking, guess what the squeak was back, I had the worst dealership experience, and i know the advisor and tech and they still didnt fix my car. that place sux. Im just gonna take it to another dealer.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Advanced

My steering wheel seems to "click" a little when turning; almost like a turn signal sensor would, but it does it without the signal being on. No squeaking, though.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by NYSTTSX
I sprayed some silicon lubricant spray, it got quiet in an instant. It's been a few days - not a problem.

Someone advised me to use WD-40, but I did not think it was a good idea, so I never tried.
Spray lubricant is also not a good idea...
Old 10-26-2006, 07:20 AM
Pro TSX user

Originally Posted by JTso
Oh really? Wow, did you think I just invented the idea? Used it for years, always works.

You offered no solution, only turning down one that works. Of course mine specifically addressed the belt squeaking. If the guy has a steering column problem, it is time to stick a head where the pedals are, use a light, eyes and ears, and some common sense to pinpoint the trouble spot.

It is not that complex. Some people get a fancy car and are afraid to touch it. Try moving the wheel up/down/in/out, see if that changes anything when you turn it left/right. See if anything is touching the rotating parts, take it apart if you have to, just be careful. Don't mess the the yellow SRS wires. Check that steering joint plastic cover, there is inner and outer one, maybe it is rubbing against the shaft - located near the pedals.

That should keep you busy for 10 minutes.

Cheers!
Old 10-26-2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Oh really? Wow, did you think I just invented the idea? Used it for years, always works.

You offered no solution, only turning down one that works. Of course mine specifically addressed the belt squeaking. If the guy has a steering column problem, it is time to stick a head where the pedals are, use a light, eyes and ears, and some common sense to pinpoint the trouble spot.

It is not that complex. Some people get a fancy car and are afraid to touch it. Try moving the wheel up/down/in/out, see if that changes anything when you turn it left/right. See if anything is touching the rotating parts, take it apart if you have to, just be careful. Don't mess the the yellow SRS wires. Check that steering joint plastic cover, there is inner and outer one, maybe it is rubbing against the shaft - located near the pedals.

That should keep you busy for 10 minutes.

Cheers!
Dude, you didn't offer a solution. You offered a band-aid to mask the real problem, and many people have been doing the wrong things for years. What do you think will happen when applying lubricant to the serpentine belt? It masks the noise while causing slippage to the alternator, power steering, and crank pulleys. The problem could be simply a worn belt or a defective tensioner. Just because it has a belt tensioner doesn't mean the tension is always correct, because there is a limit on how much tension can be applied once the belt is worn. Have you checked the tension indicator on the tensioner? The ribs on the belt also need to be examined to determine if there is a less obvious problem such as mis-aligned or defective pulley causing the acceleration in belt wear. If you see a band of brown/black mark on the hood liner, the belt is wearing fast.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Advanced

[QUOTE=JTso]Dude, you didn't offer a solution. You offered a band-aid to mask the real problem, ...QUOTE]

This is exactly what the dealer did, and guess what it did not solve anything. My steering wheel still squeaks and so does my center console.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Pro TSX user

[QUOTE=tsxmike]
Dude, you didn't offer a solution. You offered a band-aid to mask the real problem, ...QUOTE]

This is exactly what the dealer did, and guess what it did not solve anything. My steering wheel still squeaks and so does my center console.
Well, maybe it is time when you yourself try doing something, instead of going to the dealer and come back unhappy. Just a hint.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Pro TSX user

Dude, you didn't offer a solution. You offered a band-aid to mask the real problem, and many people have been doing the wrong things for years. What do you think will happen when applying lubricant to the serpentine belt? It masks the noise while causing slippage to the alternator, power steering, and crank pulleys. The problem could be simply a worn belt or a defective tensioner. Just because it has a belt tensioner doesn't mean the tension is always correct, because there is a limit on how much tension can be applied once the belt is worn. Have you checked the tension indicator on the tensioner? The ribs on the belt also need to be examined to determine if there is a less obvious problem such as mis-aligned or defective pulley causing the acceleration in belt wear. If you see a band of brown/black mark on the hood liner, the belt is wearing fast.
JTso, please do not assume that you are addressing a kid who's got a new TSX paid by his parents, and who has no clue about how everything works, not to even mention things like troubleshooting and repair.

Thank you kindly for all that information. Actually I offered plenty to get started, you're just ignoring it. Wow!

Unfortunately, you have not told me anything new, and FYI I did check the tensioner, the range is it showing, the belt tension, alignment, belt condition, and all that.

This place is where people ask questions and get answers, but please do not think that if you do not agree with my answer then I am wrong. It works for me, and that is fine. In fact, I have no problems with the belt to this day, no noise, no belt slippage, no trouble. No need to be so fancy, dude.

Cheers!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Senior Moderator

JTso, please do not assume that you are addressing a kid who's got a new TSX paid by his parents, and who has no clue about how everything works, not to even mention things like troubleshooting and repair.

Thank you kindly for all that information. Actually I offered plenty to get started, you're just ignoring it. Wow!

Unfortunately, you have not told me anything new, and FYI I did check the tensioner, the range is it showing, the belt tension, alignment, belt condition, and all that.

This place is where people ask questions and get answers, but please do not think that if you do not agree with my answer then I am wrong. It works for me, and that is fine. In fact, I have no problems with the belt to this day, no noise, no belt slippage, no trouble. No need to be so fancy, dude.

Cheers!
Did you even read what you wrote? See any contradiction?
I sprayed some silicon lubricant spray, it got quiet in an instant. It's been a few days - not a problem.

and my comment?
Yes, this forum is where people come for Q&A and I appreciate your offer to help. But next time please don't be so defensive and overreacting when someone disgrees with you. No one knows what level of experience you have and no one is questioning your ability to perform repairs. However, I do disagree with the suggestion that you provided with applying spray lubricant.

There are a few basic fundamental steps all experienced technicians will apply when evaluating and correcting a problem. There are other steps in between but these are just the basic blocks. Keep in mind I'm only pointing out a few things so don't get all defensive again.

1. Acknowlege a problem exists
2. Identify the cause of the problem
3. Evaluate a solution
4. Implement the solution
5. Verify the solution has corrected the cause of the problem (#2)
6. Determine how the problem can be prevented

So please explain how the "proposed solution" correct the cause of the problem? Was the belt lack of lubrication? Therefore, applying spray lubricant is the correct method for this problem?

Applying liquid to the belt may be one method to troubleshoot to determine the problem area. If the noise stops or changes pitch, it means the problem is between the belt and components that contact the belt. But I'm sorry, that is not the final solution.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Pro TSX user

JTso, I will not continue to have arguments with you after this statement.

I see you like being very anal. I don't know what you do for living, probably writing troubleshooting procedures, but I don't care. Get this: the belt on my car was making noise, got some silicone, and it has been quiet ever since. FYI, even though it is called silicone lubricant, it has mostly liquids that evaporate very quickly, and all you have left is silicone, and that is exactly what is left on the belt and pulleys. WD-40 is oil based. Come on! My particular case is that my vehicle has been not driven for few months, sitting outside, got a little rust on pulleys. Do you have any further questions or concerns?

Kids!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Dude, I could care less how you fix your own car with bubble gum or piss on it. I hope you don't work for any auto service dept.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Members,

Would you think this is an acceptable behavior by a board moderator? He posts this message and then closes the topic. Here it is:

-------------------------
JTso
Dude, I could care less how you fix your own car with bubble gum or piss on it. I hope you don't work for any auto service dept.
-------------------------

I would not be comfortable dealing with people who act so immaturely. It's a shame.

Let's stick to a more professional attitude here. Personal attacks is not an appropriate thing here.

Cheers!
First of all, when a moderator closes a thread you should not open a new one just to continue to make your point or continue with an argument. Second, if you have an issue with a moderator then take it to PM. Your new thread has been deleted.