Spark Plug Change/ Valve Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 07:22 PM
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 104 Posts
Spark Plug Change/ Valve Adjustment?

Hello All,

I was just wondering what you all are paying your local dealership to have the spark plugs changed on your TSX's?

I just hit 100k miles, and I got the B14 code. I am not handy at all, and usually have my car serviced at the local Honda dealership. My neighbor told me that they recommended a valve adjustment as well at 100k for him. Is the valve adjustment needed/worth it?

All in all, what would I be looking at spending (rough idea) for plugs and a valve adjustment?

Thanks much!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Considering your running a k24, its absolutely simple to do plugs. Just remove the plastic cover and remove all 4 ignition coils, change your plugs. Denzio iridiums will run you $8 fair $12 high. 1 hour of labor at, $70 per hr fair, $120 per hr high. 4x plugs + 1hr Labor, = $102 + TAX fair, $168 + TAX high.
You don't have to be handy to do this job. It is the easiest thing.

Again considering your running a k24 motor, your valves are way to easy. However, you need to be handy for this one. Under your plastic cover after you remove your ignition coils. You need to get your valve cover off.. There's a few steps involved. Many will argue that you don't need to do this. However I agrue; That your engine is much more efficient when your valves are closing and opening with limited slack. The adjustment will alighn your valves to a specified degree of tension. The adjustment can prevent long term "valve lash", that clicking noise most cars make from using mobile 1 mock synthetics and other non synthetics.

So, a premium product comes at a premium price. An Acura dealer will most likely charge you 2.5hrs at 120hr, plus OEM valve cover gasket $60 to $120 depending on mark up. Total is $320 + TAX low, $420 + TAX high. That's from the dealer. If you know a great Honda guy *you know and trust. Your going to run 1.5hr labor at $70 plus $60 for the gasket, $165 + TAX great favor low, $220 + TAX fair.

Ask me about your timing chain!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
Hello All,

I was just wondering what you all are paying your local dealership to have the spark plugs changed on your TSX's?

I just hit 100k miles, and I got the B14 code. I am not handy at all, and usually have my car serviced at the local Honda dealership. My neighbor told me that they recommended a valve adjustment as well at 100k for him. Is the valve adjustment needed/worth it?

All in all, what would I be looking at spending (rough idea) for plugs and a valve adjustment?

Thanks much!
Neither of these jobs are to be considered "easy". For someone with the right tools, the plugs are not hard, but the job has pitfalls that could cause serious grief for the unaware (mainly the possibility of stripping a plug hole in the aluminum alloy head). I had the valves done on both our 05 and 07, but if I were to do it again, I wouldn't have (not at 105K miles anyway). If they're not noisy, I'd let it go until (or if) they get that way (noisy). That said, even those who consider themselves fairly competent mechanics should probably pass on the valve job too. It's safer (and better) to have it done by a pro. Prices are regional, so you're best bet would be to just call your Honda dealer and ask them for an estimate. These are both recommended maintenance items and I assure you that they have set prices for both of those jobs.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the 100k maintenance work myself. I replaced the spark plugs ($24 for oem iridium from advance auto), I replaced the accessory belt, and changed the oil. I did not do the valve adjustment as my engine doesn't make much noise at idle when warm or cold.

save your money and don't do the valve adjustment unless you feel you need to or your engine is excessively noisy at idle.

you could drive it by a local independent Honda shop and see what they think.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was told by the deler 500.00 labor in the valves i took it to another mech he said 200.00 after it was a mistake it was worst so i looked in to my book and i did it my self by the way you dont need an adj. unless is making noise
Old 02-03-2016, 11:36 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To expand on the question a bit. I have an automatic 2008 TSX with almost 140K. My local dealer keeps insisting very hard, at every service, that I have to do the valve adjustment. The car is running perfectly, no noises, no nothing. I don't mind paying for the job but everyone that I know is telling me I shouldn't do it, so I don't mess something up, since the car is running great. What do you guys think, can I cause problems by doing the valve adjustment, if the car doesn't need one? Thanks.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:49 AM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by prokolyo
To expand on the question a bit. I have an automatic 2008 TSX with almost 140K. My local dealer keeps insisting very hard, at every service, that I have to do the valve adjustment. The car is running perfectly, no noises, no nothing. I don't mind paying for the job but everyone that I know is telling me I shouldn't do it, so I don't mess something up, since the car is running great. What do you guys think, can I cause problems by doing the valve adjustment, if the car doesn't need one? Thanks.
I would suggest that you continue to ignore your dealer's pleas. It costs nothing to do so (ignore him) since there are no warranty implications and your car is running fine. I'm all for regular maintenance, but leaving things alone in this case would be one of the better examples of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Your car has one of the best 4 cylinder engines on the road, and at 140K miles is just hitting its stride. Take care of it and it will easily last the life of the car.
The following users liked this post:
prokolyo (10-18-2019)
Old 02-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Simba91102
I would suggest that you continue to ignore your dealer's pleas. It costs nothing to do so (ignore him) since there are no warranty implications and your car is running fine. I'm all for regular maintenance, but leaving things alone in this case would be one of the better examples of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Your car has one of the best 4 cylinder engines on the road, and at 140K miles is just hitting its stride. Take care of it and it will easily last the life of the car.
+1 Worst thing I ever did was let them do the valve adjustment at 100k. It came back noiser, and the last change I changed my plugs, I had oil on one of them which is most likely because the valve cover gasket didn't seat properly (during the valve adjustment job).

Unless they're noisy, leave them alone.
The following users liked this post:
prokolyo (10-18-2019)