Slight tapping/clunk when doing slow tight turns

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007 | 03:05 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Slight tapping/clunk when doing slow tight turns

Hey guys... possible problem with the TSX. Since it's been lowered (more specifically, since I overloaded the car w/ 4 adults and loads of luggage for 200+km), I've been hearing a clunk that I would describe as the sound of hitting a suspension part with a rubber mallet. Its not a "ping" but more of a "tunk" or almost a popping noise.

I ONLY get this noise when turning the wheel left or right (not just holding it in one position, though), when pulling into a parking spot. You know, like when you turn into a spot and then as you're straightening out the wheels before turning the car off, for the last 12" of forward movement?

I can sometimes replicate the noise by "dry turning" (turning the steering wheel without the car moving at all) but its definitely easier to reproduce by the simple procedure of parking.

Can't tell if its coming from left, right, or centre. I'd say centre.

Any ideas what to check? I'm thinking maybe a slightly screwed up CV joint but I haven't noticed any oil/grease under the car, although I know they can go bad w/o the boot ripping.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2007 | 11:50 PM
Intermediate

i had this problem on my tsx. i would hear a clunking kind of sound when i would turn or sometimes when the road was a little rough.
i looked under my car and the rear passenger side of the swaybar was a little loose. i tightened it down and doesnt do it anymore.
Old 07-10-2007 | 09:46 AM

Mine definitely isn't loose as I was just under there greasing and torquing it (torqued twice -- the second time was after ~100km as per Helms).

Also the noise isn't a clunk like a swaybar -- it's not as solid nor as loud, and is definitely coming from the front while turning the wheels.
Old 07-10-2007 | 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

I've had this noise since I bought the car 2 years ago. Have never figured out what the heck it is, but it drives me nuts sometimes. Had the dealer look at it, but they didn't find anything. All they did was tighten the control arms back to factory spec, but it didn't fix the noise. It doesn't do it every time I turn, but it's pretty often.
Old 07-10-2007 | 10:52 AM
Pro

I have Tein Basics and recently mine have been doing this too. I notice the clunking/popping sound when turning into a parking spot and also a clicking noise when going really slow(when I am approaching a speed bump). I have had more people in my car recently also so that might be what is causing it. I greased mine too, but it didn't really help so I took it to the shop that installed them and they said that there were some rocks thrown up around the coilovers It is a little better now but still does it sometimes.

Old 07-10-2007 | 11:54 AM
boost owns

My car does the same thing. A "ping" is the way I would describe it. Happens when turning the wheel a good amount left or right, usually when parking, or taking a turn at a low speed.

A-Spec suspension, Progress RSB, Cusco front strut bar.
Old 07-10-2007 | 02:54 PM
Advanced

yep same here, but to comfort you in a way, mine isn't lowered, so it can happen when your car is still stock, hell, i'm even running my stock wheels. had this with a couple of cars, it seems like the noise my knee sometimes makes, it's a sound that pops, like ther's something popping in place. well, i can't help with the solution, but it sure isn't because of any lowering or stuff like that.
Old 07-10-2007 | 03:25 PM
I spend 2 much time here

i get some clunking when going over certain bumps but it comes from the rear. i haven't had a chance to have it looked at yet though.
Old 07-10-2007 | 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mugen-accord
yep same here, but to comfort you in a way, mine isn't lowered, so it can happen when your car is still stock, hell, i'm even running my stock wheels. had this with a couple of cars, it seems like the noise my knee sometimes makes, it's a sound that pops, like ther's something popping in place. well, i can't help with the solution, but it sure isn't because of any lowering or stuff like that.
Same here. My car is bone stock. It's been going on for the 2+ years I've had the car, so I'm not seriously worried about it....at least not yet. When my wheel falls off or something, then you can bet I'll be pissed.
Old 07-10-2007 | 11:48 PM
Advanced

After being on this forum a while I'm finally seeing more people with clunking noises too. Anyway, I had to wait for a while to find out mine was definitely the front passenger side cv joint. I didn't care for the intermittent noise too much but the car ran fine for months after until I decided to order an aftermarket axle. The $168 axle stopped my noise. I bought coilovers first to distract me from the noise at first, but I finally ended up fixing the car. I had local shops test drive the car for free to get opinions first and it ended up paying off.
I'm just glad we have this forum to share all of our experiences with this car like pics, wheels, suspension, mods, TSB, and moisture in the headlights.
Old 07-11-2007 | 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Audioserf
My car does the same thing. A "ping" is the way I would describe it. Happens when turning the wheel a good amount left or right, usually when parking, or taking a turn at a low speed.

A-Spec suspension, Progress RSB, Cusco front strut bar.
A "ping" is precisely is -- a low-tone ping!! I have a feeling it's a CV joint like darcheeseTSX04 described was his problem. I'll have a look under there when I eventually pick up a nice floor jack in a few months (or sooner if I feel like spending the cash).
Old 07-11-2007 | 05:46 PM
boost owns

I looked under my car when I first started noticing it and didn't see anything, but then again, I'm not a mechanic who could easily identify bent or otherwise compromised suspension components. The car handles like a champion and the noise isn't that troublesome, so I'm not terribly concerned. I may have it looked at at some point.
Old 07-12-2007 | 04:39 AM
Senior Moderator

07 mdx has this problem and this was the solution. For clunking/thud over bumps, geasing the bump stops and tightening the bolts to the coilover will fix the problem. For the turning noise, check the front sway bar bushings as they might be loose.

BYW, there was also a mention by acura of replacing a bolt on the suspension, there is a TSB for it on the 07 MDX, i think it is called the PINCH bolt.
Old 07-18-2007 | 09:48 AM
1st Gear

Hey Curls

I think I'm having the same issue with my 2006 TSX. It has less than 10K on it. I lowered it about 6 months ago and starting hearing the noise about 1 1/2 months ago. Did you ever find out the source?

Monty28
Old 07-18-2007 | 09:36 PM

Nope. I've been too damn busy to even re-torque the lug nuts.
Old 09-27-2007 | 08:39 AM
Pro

Has anyone found out what causes the sound yet? Mine has Tein Basics and it had the noise about two months ago and it went away for a little while but now its happening again. Mine is a bouncing sound in the rear when I go over speed bumps and when I make right turns there is a kind of loud clicking sound. I can't really hear it inside the car with the windows up but it is really loud from the outside.
Old 09-27-2007 | 09:45 AM
Instructor

same shit here. it seems to me that it happend everytime i turn the car on and im leaving the parking lot or moving slow and turn...
Old 09-27-2007 | 10:21 AM
Drifting

I've had this issue for the last 2 yrs, and the "ping-ping-ping..." sound while turning at low speed is coming from my front drivers wheel well. Can't find anything visually wrong with the CV boot. The sound started after putting a aftermarket suspension. The sound is there, but doesn't affect my driving.
If anyone figures it out, please post up!
Old 09-27-2007 | 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by PACman
I've had this issue for the last 2 yrs, and the "ping-ping-ping..." sound while turning at low speed is coming from my front drivers wheel well. Can't find anything visually wrong with the CV boot. The sound started after putting a aftermarket suspension. The sound is there, but doesn't affect my driving.
If anyone figures it out, please post up!
If it's remotely loud, then I'd still bet its the CV joint. Even if the boot isn't torn at all, the joint inside may be self-destructing. ie: there are two ways a CV joint can be ruined -- from external crap getting in via a defective/torn boot, or from internal damages to the joint itself.

as for my situation, what started this whole thread... I haven't really had a reoccurrance of the situation. Wierd.
Old 01-13-2008 | 12:26 PM
06-NBP

My car started doing this too. Whenever I would pull out of my garage I would hear a clunking noise when i turn the steering wheel. This only happens when the car is cold. I've been warming up the car for a few minutes before taking off but I still hear it. After a few minutes of driving the sound is gone and the turning is back to normal.

I have an 06 5AT with the RSB mod and just happened about a month ago. I only have 15000 miles drive mainly on the weekends.
Old 01-13-2008 | 05:33 PM
ink

I have the same problem too. My car is bone stock and i noticed this when only making left u-turns. I only noticed this in the cooler weather. Too it to the dealership and they said the seat was loose...
Old 01-13-2008 | 07:58 PM
Instructor

I had this about 1.5 years ago on my 05' that was bone stock. Only happened when going slow and tight turns. I thought for sure it was the axle or bearing. Took it to the dealer and luckily it actually happened at the dealership and the repair tech heard it outside also. They said it was caused by the break pads sticking??? I was like bullshizzzle. So I drove home that I wasted a day for them to blow me off. Put you know what, I never heard it again, not even once since then and that was along time ago. I switched pads about 6 months ago and made sure to go heavy on the grease on the tracks, pins and pad backs and still no noise. Give it a try, won't cost anything but an hour of your time and alittle grease.
Old 06-21-2009 | 04:23 PM
Drifting

My car has been doing this too for the last couple of months. When I make sharp low speed left hand turns or u turns, I get this metal popping sound and (at first) a rubbing sound too. It turns out that the outside edge of the passenger side tire had been rubbing the inside of the fender liner... Now the little bump on the inside of the liner has been worn away slightly so it doesn't make the rubbing noise, but it still pops quite loudly. After reading up it sounds like the control arm bolts are a little loose causing the front wheel to move slightly when turning sharply. I also have a feeling that the shocks are getting old too (102,000 miles on the car), so the car dips which just aggravates the problem and the car is starting to feel a bit floaty over bumps.

I'm driving home today, and I'll bring it to out mechanic and see if he can tighten up the front suspension and see if it fixes it.
Old 11-12-2009 | 04:04 PM
1st Gear

i have a 2006 acura tsx that has been making this popping/cluncking sound when i make small turns backing out or simply turning aroun
Old 11-12-2009 | 08:23 PM
Drifting

^^Check CV boots.
Old 11-14-2009 | 12:14 PM
Racer

I have had a metal banging/popping kind of sound when turning about a year ago on my 06. I had it fixed in about 10 minutes under warranty. The dealership told me it was some loose suspension components (did not tell me exactly what) that needed to be tightened.