Seat Discoloration Along Outside Seam of Seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:22 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2005 TSX with light grey interior and had the middle of the passanger seat cushion fade, in the middle of perforation. I have 20K. After using cleaning agents and armor all leather protectant, it did nothing.
HOWEVER, over time the fade actually wore away. Either it was a stain, or the whole seat faded with it. Nevertheless, this seems common, but you must remember the seat is not genuine leather, it is some unusual leatherette material.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by defeasance
Well I took my car in today 9/29 to the Acura Manhattan Dealer in NYC. I brought in the printouts from this whole thread and some that i found via google. They told me that my seat cover is on order to be replaced. Now I hoep when I actually get the work done they dont turn around and tell me that I must pay like they did to another user in this thread. I i will report back next week when I bring it in once the seats are replaced. I also mentioned that I called the Corp Head Quarters of Acura to file a complaint.
Good Luck Guys. Ding Dong is right if you fight you shall receive and why not, we pay over 30k.
Well this week Friday will be three weeks since I went to service. Well guess what apparently my part has yet to arrive at this point. I have called every week and still nothing. So now im getting the impression they are stalling.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Well this week Friday will be three weeks since I went to service. Well guess what apparently my part has yet to arrive at this point. I have called every week and still nothing. So now im getting the impression they are stalling.
It took almost 3 weeks for my seat to arrive so hang in there! and Good Luck!!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

I had a new seat covered for the back portion of the seat, and it took a while to come in as well. If you want, which is what i did, just swing by the dealership (its really close to my house) and just say you were in the neighborhood and just figured you would stop in and see if they got the part it. Chances are, you will talk to some one who you didn't talk to on the phone and they actually have to go and check for you since your standing right there.

On a side note, i know its probably common sense to most, but the nicer you are to them and try to explain your situation, or issues to them, them nicer they will be. (obvious i know, but it really has helped me out in dealing with them!)
Old 10-20-2006, 12:01 PM
Advanced

I took my TSX into the dealer for a CEL, and mentioned this stain to the writer while I was there. He said the seat cover would be replaced under warranty no questions asked. Since the CEL ended up being an O2 sensor (in stock part) he had the seat cover shipped next day air so I'd get my car back in 2 days

Good luck to everyone having problems getting this taken care of, but there are still decent writers/service managers out there
Old 10-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Switch
I took my TSX into the dealer for a CEL, and mentioned this stain to the writer while I was there. He said the seat cover would be replaced under warranty no questions asked. Since the CEL ended up being an O2 sensor (in stock part) he had the seat cover shipped next day air so I'd get my car back in 2 days

Good luck to everyone having problems getting this taken care of, but there are still decent writers/service managers out there

Lucky you. Tell us who the Dealer is so we can give them a thumbs up.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Cruisin'

Well after 3 weeks or so I got my new seat and boy im not as happy as i thought i would be. They replaced my entire seat from top to bottom and while it feels nice to seat on new leathette again it looks to NEW compared to my other seats. Im going to have to do alot of sitting so the age process can match the others. lol.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Advanced

Well after 3 weeks or so I got my new seat and boy im not as happy as i thought i would be. They replaced my entire seat from top to bottom and while it feels nice to seat on new leathette again it looks to NEW compared to my other seats. Im going to have to do alot of sitting so the age process can match the others. lol.
Just a quick note. It should be "leather" not "leatherette". At least most of the seats are genuine leather compared to the "leatherette offered by BMW as a cheaper alternative.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:04 PM
10th Gear

Angry Seat discoloration

My 04 TSX driver side seat has exactly the same problem. The last time I was at the dealer (Metro Acura), the service manager told me to bring it in before the car hits 50K miles. He said problems like this are only under warranty to 50K miles.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:50 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah, I am trying to do as much as possible to my car while under 50k.
Side note after one day of using my car after the new seatm the seat started falling apart. The plastic locks from the inside are not snapping to make a closure so my back of seat is open and so is the side under the cushion. they did such a terrible job after taking a week to install.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Pro

Yeah, I am trying to do as much as possible to my car while under 50k.
Side note after one day of using my car after the new seatm the seat started falling apart. The plastic locks from the inside are not snapping to make a closure so my back of seat is open and so is the side under the cushion. they did such a terrible job after taking a week to install.

If you haven't done so already, please give us a heads up and tell us who the Dealer is. Service such as this deserves its just reward.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is what worries me. The stain is there and I can see it every time I get in the TSX but its not like I can't live with it (I have so far). I just don't want to get into this seemingly endless loop of having a crappy fix and then going back again and again because of collateral damage. What to do, what to do.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jlukja
This is what worries me. The stain is there and I can see it every time I get in the TSX but its not like I can't live with it (I have so far). I just don't want to get into this seemingly endless loop of having a crappy fix and then going back again and again because of collateral damage. What to do, what to do.

Same for me. What to do. Better the devil you know????

I've yet to see what me local dealer has to say or how they will stand behind this type of work product.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Still Water
If you haven't done so already, please give us a heads up and tell us who the Dealer is. Service such as this deserves its just reward.
Acura Manhattan NYC.
I am going back tomorrow becasue they also messed up my side air bag sensor when they replaced a busted speaker so i will have them re-fix the seat.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Pro

Acura Manhattan NYC.
I am going back tomorrow becasue they also messed up my side air bag sensor when they replaced a busted speaker so i will have them re-fix the seat.

Good luck to you.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:34 PM
Cruisin'

So its been a month since my last post when i actually received my new seat.
Guess what, yes, i started to get the infamous blue jean stain again.
we all knew this would happen, but not within a month.
Oh well guess we have to learn to live with.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
They replaced my bottom seat cover but refused to acknowledge the staining as a defect; they did it because there were cracks in the seat. They said it was my jeans; on the one hand I don't believe this, but on the other:

I rarely have passengers and there was no stain on the passenger seat
There was no stain on the inside side of the seat where I don't slide

So maybe they're right, but the stain was on the side where I never touch, as opposed to the top, where I do slide, so I don't know what to think. Either way, they replaced it.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:45 PM
in HKDM land!

So its been a month since my last post when i actually received my new seat.
Guess what, yes, i started to get the infamous blue jean stain again.
we all knew this would happen, but not within a month.
Oh well guess we have to learn to live with.
What?! The blue stain is there again? Hmmm, this may be an issue for Acura to consider. I just got back from Acura of Pleasanton here in California, stating to them about my blue stains on the seam of the seats. I had the same stain on both driver and passenger seat. (same size, same length, same location stains )

I got the service advisor to come out and take a look at it, and when he saw the passenger seat stained as well, he quickly said they'd definately replace it.

Very great service, attitude towards their customers. Dealer says they are ordering it via overnight shipping (no charge to me ) and would be installed in 2 days, which is very fast considering most of the people here have to wait 2-3months for it to arrive.

But then again, what can we do to prevent such stains in the future? I would hope that the new seats be seam-stainless, but I don't know about that anymore.

I would recommend, if you are in the Bay Area, contacting Acura of Pleasanton for replacing your seats or actually any problems you have in your car. Service is prompted and great attitude. Plus, they said I'm the only TSX to have that problem on their seats, so help me by proving them wrong!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:43 AM
Team Owner

Dropped off my car this evening at Acura of Cerritos for an oil change and to have the dealer check out a couple of problems (the discoloration on the driver's seat being one of them). I showed the stain to the service advisor and without any other prompting he said they would take care of it under warranty. He wrote up the order while I was standing there for a replacement. It blew me away since I was expecting to have a much harder time to convince them to replace it. I hope addressing the window creaking, the drivers seat shift, and the rear shock noise is as easy as this turned out to be. Wish me luck.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Team Owner

Update: new seat cover that was ordered on 12/27 came in on Tuesday. I dropped my car off at the dealer yesterday and they switched the covers out, all under warranty. They did a good job, no collateral damage (that I could see). The new cover is slightly lighter in color (my TSX is roughly 3 years old) but if you didn't know it was switched out you probably couldn't tell. The new cover is quite a bit softer than the original seat. I recall someone saying that they thought the 06 seats were softer leather as compared to the 04 seats. I have to agree if what I have is the 06 version. I'm satisfied.

While they had my TSX I asked them, again, to check the shifting drivers seat. They said they checked it again and replaced the rail assembly. Now there is no movement.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by jlukja
Update: new seat cover that was ordered on 12/27 came in on Tuesday. I dropped my car off at the dealer yesterday and they switched the covers out, all under warranty. They did a good job, no collateral damage (that I could see). The new cover is slightly lighter in color (my TSX is roughly 3 years old) but if you didn't know it was switched out you probably couldn't tell. The new cover is quite a bit softer than the original seat. I recall someone saying that they thought the 06 seats were softer leather as compared to the 04 seats. I have to agree if what I have is the 06 version. I'm satisfied.

While they had my TSX I asked them, again, to check the shifting drivers seat. They said they checked it again and replaced the rail assembly. Now there is no movement.

Hmm I wonder if they're replace mine because of a butt-groove.

Damn my big butt.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Instructor

It's reaction of the leather stain with fart gas! Stop farting while driving!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Racer

Yep, mine has gotten worse, even after it was treated and cleaned...just wont go away. Car is still under warranty, but the dealer is saying wear and tear item, blah blah.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by L1StarTSX
Yep, mine has gotten worse, even after it was treated and cleaned...just wont go away. Car is still under warranty, but the dealer is saying wear and tear item, blah blah.

I actually got mine replaced by the dealer. The blue stain is coming from inside the seat. I am assuming that you have a parchment leather interior. One dealer said "no" so I took it to another dealer (where I bought my car).
Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

Does this problem exist on the 06 and 07 models

Does anyone know if this problem has occurred with the 06 and 07 models. Based on everything I read so far this seems to only occur in the 04 and 05 models.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acutsx
I actually got mine replaced by the dealer. The blue stain is coming from inside the seat. I am assuming that you have a parchment leather interior. One dealer said "no" so I took it to another dealer (where I bought my car).
Mine was replaced as well on my '04. Dealer didn't argue, was quick to tell me it was from jeans but they will repalce. To me, the are covering up a defect to prevent a recall of all our cars, otherwise they would fight it more and not replace as quick.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Advanced

yea yea same problem here too...

i don't know what to do other than to go to the dealership and have it replaced. How is that some dealerships are charing and others aren't.

For the people who got it replaced under warranty, what did you guys say or argue?
Old 02-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Advanced

Mine was replaced. They tried the jeans excuse too, I told them it would make sense if the color were anywhere that my pants touched the seat, since it went all the way to the seat end at the back. Oh and I never wear jeans would also be a reason.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Advanced

thank god my seat also got the discolored along the seems EXACTLY like that.

but my dealership replaced it under warranty around a month or 2 ago. and I didnt have to hassle them either. Its a total warranty issue, I talked to one of the mechanics and he said it was common problem. I go to Las Vegas Acura.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
3rd Gear

I just had a new cover installed on my 04. Staining is gone. Dealer was great, no questions and they actually had the cover in place. They were aware of the issuse on the parchment. I asked them to look at the cause. Because the side panel is vinyl, not leather, it absorbs the black marker used to mark the die line on the inside of the vinyl. About 18 months later it bleeds through. My leather matched very close.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by william057
I just had a new cover installed on my 04. Staining is gone. Dealer was great, no questions and they actually had the cover in place. They were aware of the issuse on the parchment. I asked them to look at the cause. Because the side panel is vinyl, not leather, it absorbs the black marker used to mark the die line on the inside of the vinyl. About 18 months later it bleeds through. My leather matched very close.
Which dealership did you take it to?
Old 03-05-2007, 05:35 PM
3rd Gear

Dealer replaced seat cover

The dealer that replaced the cover is in Grand Rapids MI. East Imports. Nice job. No damage, fits correctly and good color match.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:45 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

just had mine replaced at Radley Acura, I brought it in and showed them the stain and they ordered a new part no questions asked. Talk to David there, he does an excellent job
Old 03-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Banned

Which Austin or Houston Or Dallas Acura Dealership will let me replace it under warranty and who should I talk to?

Can someone help me please.
Will they replace both front or just driver side?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM
Advanced

picked up my 05 2 weeks ago in jax.. so still getting used to the car but i took mine off the lot with both seats having the stains.. yet to take it in
Old 04-05-2007, 08:15 PM
4th Gear

Los Gatos Acura rules!

Lurking here for some time ... great forum ... first post.

I dropped in to show the edge of the seat to the service advisor. (04 TSX white, parchment interior, 5AT) He said, "Hmmm, let me take it to the back and see what they say". Came back 10 minutes later and said "They tried to take it out but couldn't get it. I am ordering a replacement for you and will call you when it gets in."

Called me this morning, brought the car in, got a courtesy car (06 TSX), called me at 4:30 to tell me it was done.

Went and got it, looks perfect. Exact match with the rest of the interior.

Happy Camper here!
Old 04-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced

question.. are they replacing just the bottom portion of the seats on most of the repairs or the top piece also to color match.. i think i know the answer already but just curious..

also if this is only an 04/05 problem.. are the 06 seats that different that an 06 cover couldnt be used?
Old 04-06-2007, 05:19 PM
4th Gear

They replaced the cover on the bottom of the seat. The seatback was OK, no problem there. The colors matched perfectly - spot on.

I'm not sure whay you'd want to put an 06 cover on a 04 or 05 car unless you're thinking the 05-05 replacements would end up having the same discoloration after some time.

What's interesting is that this problem seems to only happen on the driver's side. I haven't heard anyone complaining about the passenger side. On our TSX, which is the car my wife drives, only the driver's seat showed the problem. Interesting thing is, when the car is driven, usually both of us are in the car occupying both front seats. I would say the passenger seat has probably 80% of the miles on it as the driver's seat has. And yet, the passenger seat is perfectly OK. Go figure.

R
Old 04-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Advanced

actually it does affect both seats.. i only use my drivers seat and it is still showing through in the passenger one as well.. the reason i was curious about using an 06-07 seat is because i havent heard of any of the same issues with the stripes showing through so far.. would be better to go with a newer version instead of having that stripe show through a few months after it is replace.. can anyone say if the part number for the seat covers are identical for all model years?
Old 04-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Team Owner

I think the 04-06 covers are interchangeable. My replacement cover seemed softer than the original new one so I assumed that the 06 seats a slightly softer. The color match was almost exact, you can tell its slightly off if you're looking for it.

Quick Reply: Seat Discoloration Along Outside Seam of Seat