RUST!!! On my front Grille!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 07:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RUST!!! On my front Grille!

I was just waxing my car last weekend and noticed the front grille had oxidation (rust spots) on it. It is forming on the top chrome-looking strip (at the end of the hood).

I went to my dealer and made sure this was covered by warranty. They looked at it and are replacing it this Friday.

I wonder if they can switch out my whole grille for a brushed metal-looking one they are putting on the new TL's?
Old 05-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Instructor

What?!!?

Can you please post a picture? That's sad....How come our car is rusting so fast.......

That makes me wonder the quality of our car a lot....
Old 05-19-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that does suck...i wonder if it has anything to do with the weather in denver? snow + road salt
Old 05-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Old 05-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Orangeblood

WEIRD. I had assumed that the chrome parts of the grille (which I assume is what you are referring to) were chrome over plastic. Chrome itself doesn't rust. Maybe its not really chrome?

Wonder if it could be brake dust or something?
Old 05-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Cruisin'

This is an easy fix. Ask any serious detailer that's been doing it along time. The grille piece itself probably isn't rusting. (I would have to see the actual grille in person) I'm 99% sure what is happening here is fallout. Detailers use this as a general term. When metal particles are in the air, they settle on cars and those particles themselfves start to rust when exposed to air and water. In other words, it's not the car parts rusting, it's the iron particles rusting on top of the paint or other surface. This is very common in areas around train tracks or other industrial areas. Sometimes known as rail dust. In this case, the grille piece won't need to be replaced. Go to any auto parts strore and buy some clay. I'm sure everyone has all heard about Mequires Clay, etc... It's very nice for removing crap from the surface of paint. It will work on this as well. I do it all the time. Chrome bumpers, plastic/fake chrom plated grille pieces, etc... Be creative with this stuff. It works on lots of things. Let me know if you have any questions or let me know if this does or doesn't work.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Instructor

I had the same problem with my chrome grill. It was isolated to one area and it looked more like it was tarnished than true rust. I would rub it off with chrome polish, only to have it return again. On closer inspection, I noticed that particular area was also flushed closer to the hood of the car than the other areas of the grill where there was a fingernail width gap between the grill and the hood.

I can only suspect that the extreme heat from the hood is the culprit although I cannot confirm this. However, after the dealer replaced the grill, it has not happened again because now the piece is not extremely flushed.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

Fooman and Jun are correct. I have dealt with this issue also. Firstly fellas, to our disspointment, the front end of the TSX is plastic, it IS NOT CHROME. I wish there was some way to convert the grille to chrome, i would even pay another $500 above current prices to have all silverly plastic replaced with real chrome on TSX during production...JACK UP THE PRICE BUT GIVES US THE REAL STUFF ACURA! Anyway, all these brown looking spots are is brown dust particles. They appear from time to time on my door handles which are chrome i think, and the plastickish grille silver part. All you do is get a professional glass cleaner spray (one that is designed for cars---and tinted windows-as chemical free as possible,) and spray it on surface. Let it sit for a minute or less, and then wipe it off. It may take a bit of rubbing with an extra soft cloth but it comes off. Be extra careful with the front grille because its extra delicate...last thing you want to do is rub off the silver coating. Keep these areas clean and rub this crap off as soon as you spot it on the car. Problem solved~
Old 05-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

I just sampled my grille, its not chrome, its not plastic, I think its a combination of the two. Whatever it is, its cheap as hell! Especially when you compare it to a Benz or Bimmer. My friend said it cost money to put chrome grills in. I think, it would be tougher on the front end=safer, but then again, it would add more weight to the car, more cost, etc.
Old 05-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Sile

Its just chrome covered plastic. I cracked mine and found out.
Chrome covered aluminum would be way too $$$.
Chromed metal also doesn't mean that it won't pit or stain. IMO we are better off with shiny abs plastic.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:44 PM
Über Geek

I empathize, I really do.
But your thread title makes me think of that line from Animal House: "A pedge PIN? On your uniFORM?!?
Old 05-28-2004, 03:13 AM
Senior ATCer

Yup! it's plastic. I had the mylar film chip off on mine. Dealer replace the lower grill under warranty.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Advanced

um interesting, make sure u check inner side of the chrone handle