Rust is found at the panel of the rear wheels.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust is found at the panel of the rear wheels.....

Hey guys,

My TSX is only in its 4th years... I do wash it frequently like... once every 2 to 3 weeks interval on a regular base. After a recent wash, when I touch up the paint where has been chipped, I found rust start forming under the panel where just above the rear wheel.... and that shocked me because the car is still considering as new, plus I have done the anti-rust protecting back then...... Do you guys have the same problem in your 05 or 04 TSX as well?? I wonder whether this is covered by warranty? As the rusted area has never been chipped by stone.....

By the way... do you guys have any suggestion of a site where I can put up a picture so that I will be able to show you guys the picture that I had taken on the rusting spot?

Thanks!

T
Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Try Photobucket.com for the pic hosting.

Its not uncommon, especially on Canadian-driven cars, to have rust in that exact spot on the rear quarter-panel. Mine luckily doesn't have it but thats because I learned from my previous car (1991 Integra) and my wifes car (2002 Mazda Protege5) that preventative maintenance is critical on this area of a car if you drive anywhere with slush and/or salt.

I bought a can of Rust Check spray (Rust Check "Coat & Protect, aerosol can, green lid. Available at Canadian Tire for under $10 and it'll last a long long time --> http://www.rustcheck.com/products.asp). It sprays on fairly thick and does NOT drip. Its almost like a jelly once it hits the metal. I spray this up in behind the 1/4 panel at the seams twice a year -- when I swap winter tires for summer or vice versa. It's halted the rust on my wifes' Protege5 whereas every other Protege5 I see on the roads is getting eaten away like crazy.

However, it SHOULD be covered under warranty (8yrs/unlimited km?). Take it in and see what they say. If its not visible unless you stick your head in the wheel well then I say just clean the area out really well and use the spray I mentioned earlier. If its bubbling through the paint, try your absolute best to have Acura warranty it as its an expensive repair.

Last edited by curls; 09-07-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Advanced

the only thing the warranty covers is rust-through. There needs to be a hole rusted through. they wont cover surface rust
Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Race Director

where can i buy rust check aside from their website?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I know that in Canada, its readily available at Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire. Try your local Wal-Mart or even maybe an Autozone type of store.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I think I found some very tiny surface rust spots on my trunk lid. I'll have to do a wash and clay this fall before winter hits and see if the spots come out. If not, it's probably rust, which irks me. The car will be 6 in Feb. and has been garage kept most of its life and has had regular cleanings and waxes several times a year. No excuse for rust. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's not, but I think it is.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Racer

Thanks for the comments guys. I took my car to a local Acura Dealership, and the service manager states he will send the claim to Honda Canada, but it is Honda Canada's description about whether to approve it or not....... I am crossing all my fingers now!!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:52 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by curls
I know that in Canada, its readily available at Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire. Try your local Wal-Mart or even maybe an Autozone type of store.
i found a rustoleum one at walmart where i am supposed to spray it on the undercarriage and wheel wells of the car. only problem is it's black. they didn't have any other type of rust spray preventer. i haven't gone to autozone yet.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM
8th Gear

4 year old thread...

But now my 2004 TSX with 160kms has rust forming in the wheel wells. It wasn't there last summer, but after this winter, its noticeable. How can I slow it down? It looks pretty bad when viewed from the side, or when its on the lift. I wash it a few times a month in the winter...but I guess after 8-9 years, with no rust protection, the salt has taken over. I did drive to Montreal this winter, and man, the amount of salt they use there is unbelievable.

I put in alot of money into this car within the past year (new tires, spark plugs, ball joints, O2 sensor, rear links, + regular maintenance), so I don't want to sell the car just yet. I had a 2002 Protege5, and I sold it two years ago, because it was becoming a rust bucket.

Last edited by 2hondas; 04-26-2012 at 12:21 PM.