Resetting VSA/Airbag Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resetting VSA/Airbag Lights

Well, I tried searching and got about 25+ threads about resetting my Maintenance Light (which if people looked is right in the manual! ) but I need to reset some different dash lights ... long story short, some guy swerved into my lane, I swerved to avoid him and hit the median, which set off my side airbags, which set off the lights on the dash(VSA, !, airbag light). I'm waiting to take the guy to court, but want to reset the lights....does anyone know how I can do this without taking it to the dealer or the body shop? I already tried undoing the battery and it didnt work.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
You're not gonna be able to reset it until the airbag is replaced. The airbag controller is not getting the signal from the airbag that went off so it knows that the system is not fully functional. As for the VSA light, my assumption is that a sensor was damaged and so the VSA system is off line for the moment. These lights are on for a reason so I would get the car to the dealership and fixed.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's still driveable???

Old 03-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Oh, its very drivable, it only bent the rear control arm and curb scrapped the rim real bad, didnt even blow the tire. I took it to a friends shop, they replaced the control arm and I drove it home. I don't want to put a claim into my insurance until I after I take the guy who did it to court (apparently in AZ the cops dont do much for a hit and run, basically say "sucks to be you" and tell you to take the guy to court, so that is what I have to do). I put the side airbags back in and put the molding all back so you wouldnt even know they went off. Car looks just like my avatar as she sits right now, drives great! Just the lights are a little annoying and knowing that if someone does hit me again right now, those airbags are inoperatable.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Air bag light

Did you ever figure out how to reset the airbag light without going to the dealer?

Thanks!

MBA
Old 06-07-2007, 11:12 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i also would like to know.. i had only unplugged all the fuses and such to attempt to swap harnesses for a navi swap.. but changed my mind since i couldnt get the dash off.. now the car keeps telling me to check airbag system.. and i've already reassured that i've plugged back everything...
Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The Service Manual has a procedure to clear SRS codes (and turn off the indicator) with a short connector.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:10 AM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
found the solution! [via google]

An SCS Service Connector is used to reset your SRS light, which every Honda owner will eventually end up having to do. The dealer charges anywhere from $65 to $95 to do this, I'll show you how to do it for under $10.00. First you need to go to Best Buy or Circuit City and pick up some late model Honda speaker harnesses by Metra. The Metra model number is 72-7802. Cut the female disconnects off the ends of the speaker harnesses and strip about a half inch of jacket off of the wire. Twist the wire together and tape up the bare wire, you now have an SCS Service Connector for quite a but less than what Honda would have charged for one.

Now I'll show you how to reset the light. We've allready done the 1st step by making the SCS Connector.
You'll need to find the MES (Memory Erase Signal) connector.
It is a yellow connector with two wires in it that is plugged into the back of the driver's side fuse box, unplug it and pull it down. Once you have done that you can begin the process of erasing the memory. Here's a diagram for clearer understanding.

1st step in erasing the memory is to turn the ignition off and connect the SCS Service connector to the MES Plug,

2nd Turn Ignition on. SRS indicator light will come on for about 6 seconds then go off.

3rd Disconnect SCS service connector for MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS indicator light goes off. SRS indicator light will come on again.

4th Reconnect SCS service connector the MES connector within 4 seconds after SRS light comes on. SRS indicator light will go off.

5th Disconnect SCS service connector from MES connector within 4 seconds. SRS indicator light will indicate that memory is erased by blinking 2 times.

6th Turn ignition off, and wait 10 seconds. Start vehicle like normal and light should come on and go out like normal. You have reset your SRS light, congrats.

It worked first time for me. If it doesn't work first time, try again. The timing has to be pretty precise.