Rear Sway Bar Link TSB (98-05 Accord)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Sway Bar Link TSB (98-05 Accord)

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/at...chmentid=43887

Found this on a site I was browsing through today and since we share so many parts with the 03+ Accords, I figured I'll post it up.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:29 AM
JOATMON

Hmmmm...those stabilizer links look suspiciously familiar.

I wonder if a similar TSB will be released for the TSX? The stabilizer links on the TSX always looked a bit flimsy to me...
Old 06-01-2005, 09:49 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doh! another TSB? Wonder how this affects the guys with the Comptech and Progressive RSB?
Old 06-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by yuhoo22
doh! another TSB? Wonder how this affects the guys with the Comptech and Progressive RSB?
Careful, its for the Accord not the TSX (although they are similar)
Old 06-01-2005, 10:20 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

yeah, i am hoping this doesn't affect us.....
Old 06-01-2005, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

I haven't even seen a draft of a TSB for us yet. Maybe it won't happen. You'll usually see a draft version a couple weeks before they post the official bulletin. Nothing yet...
Old 06-01-2005, 12:24 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kurt_bradley
I haven't even seen a draft of a TSB for us yet. Maybe it won't happen. You'll usually see a draft version a couple weeks before they post the official bulletin. Nothing yet...
If we do get one, what are the chances of them fixing it if we have a RSB?
Old 06-01-2005, 12:50 PM
n00b

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
If we do get one, what are the chances of them fixing it if we have a RSB?
If the links do break in my car (with Progress swaybar), I'll just make my own links with heim joints.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry for the ignorant question. What is the easiest way to see the sway bar links? I have a rattle from the rear end that only seems to happen on rolling-type bumps that compress the rear springs a bit. This also happens when I take a sharp turn sometimes, or even going over a rolling dip in the road. I have heard of others on here having a rattle from back there, and they found one or both of their links broken. BTW - I only have 1250 miles on the car.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:19 PM
Got Milk???

This problem has happened to me and another TSX member. I had my left end link replaced under warranty while the other member had his right rear replaced. So it may have something to do with our TSX.

-KC
Old 06-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For those with SB, it could be a case to say they won't warranty it, but it is a simple enough switch back to the original bar and problem solved.

Another reason to keep your OEM parts handy. :-)
Old 06-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Because Of You

Originally Posted by jlukja
Careful, its for the Accord not the TSX (although they are similar)

Mine (left rear) was broken long time ago and I replaced it myself for $35 buck.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by moda_way
For those with SB, it could be a case to say they won't warranty it, but it is a simple enough switch back to the original bar and problem solved.

Another reason to keep your OEM parts handy. :-)
Which i'm about to do if I can't figure out why the HELL my Comptech is causing bumps.

Im sure I've over torqued the endlink connections by now...One thing I remember from the install was that the bar ends didnt really sit flush with the link. Frustrating...
Old 06-01-2005, 08:41 PM
Tech

Im almost positive we share the same endlinks as the accords. The only reason they haven't posted a TSB for the TSX yet is because there aren't enough TSX complaints about them. They sell much more Honda Accords than TSXs so the chances of accord customers going back to the dealership for endlink problems are greater than TSXers.

The new replacement endlinks are thicker than the factory endlinks.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The stock endlinks seem flimsy especially being used with an aftermarket swaybar. Btw, 03-05 Accords use the same Comptech swaybar as the TSX so the endlinks are most likely interchangeable.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:02 AM
Got Milk???

either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or i have to agree that the replacement endlinks are beefier than the original ones. now my left endlink is thicker than the right one, will that affect handling in any way?

-kc
Old 06-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kaikai114
either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or i have to agree that the replacement endlinks are beefier than the original ones. now my left endlink is thicker than the right one, will that affect handling in any way?

-kc
Yes, since there's less flex in the thicker one.
Even if it drove the same. i'd be paranoid enough to make them the same.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Master47
Sorry for the ignorant question. What is the easiest way to see the sway bar links? I have a rattle from the rear end that only seems to happen on rolling-type bumps that compress the rear springs a bit. This also happens when I take a sharp turn sometimes, or even going over a rolling dip in the road. I have heard of others on here having a rattle from back there, and they found one or both of their links broken. BTW - I only have 1250 miles on the car.
Take it back to the dealer. Have them look at it. It should be covered under warranty.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:53 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Alin10123
Take it back to the dealer. Have them look at it. It should be covered under warranty.

I looked last night, my links look to be ok, and I could see the yellow paint on the right one that Accord TSB talks about (I couldn't see the marking on the left one), so I would say they are still installing the "old" ones at the factory considering I have only had it a month.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:05 AM
Suzuka Master

When I get my sway bar, I'm thinking I'll just install aftermarket endlinks. Who makes a set (saw someone mentioned custom ones)?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Suzuka Master

They are exactly the same part number. 52325-S84-A01
Old 06-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Suzuka Master

52320-S84-A01 - right side

52325-S84-A01 - left side
Old 06-02-2005, 09:53 AM
JOATMON

Originally Posted by joerockt
Which i'm about to do if I can't figure out why the HELL my Comptech is causing bumps.

Im sure I've over torqued the endlink connections by now...One thing I remember from the install was that the bar ends didnt really sit flush with the link. Frustrating...
joerockt:

Just a thought-- is it possible that the Comptech SWB is upside down? The only reason I ask is that when a friend and I installed mine, he handed it to me under the car upside down at first, and (i) the endlinks did not line up and (ii) there no clearance with the car's undercarriage in the middle-- which is where I think the "bump" may be coming from. When we flipped the bar, everything lined up and there was adequate clearance between the SWB and the car.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:05 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cl7tsx
joerockt:

Just a thought-- is it possible that the Comptech SWB is upside down? The only reason I ask is that when a friend and I installed mine, he handed it to me under the car upside down at first, and (i) the endlinks did not line up and (ii) there no clearance with the car's undercarriage in the middle-- which is where I think the "bump" may be coming from. When we flipped the bar, everything lined up and there was adequate clearance between the SWB and the car.
You mean its not perfectly flat? From all the pictures I've seen it looks flat. This is a good thing to keep in mind when installing. Rep points for you.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:32 AM
JOATMON

You mean its not perfectly flat? From all the pictures I've seen it looks flat. This is a good thing to keep in mind when installing. Rep points for you.
Thx, jlukja.

No, the bar is not perfectly flat, although it appears that way from the picture on their website. However, I think one can sort of make out the contours of the SWB from some of the pics posted in the SWB DIYs elsewhere on the board.

Also, [ not intending to ] during my install I noted that Comptech's directions also fail to discuss (i) the allen key hole in the shank of the endlink bolt (discussed at length elsewhere on this board) and (ii) the fact that torque specs on the endlink nut (28 ft-lbs, I think) cannot be precisely achieved with a standard torque wrench, because one cannot simultaneously access the allen key hole in the shank of the endlink bolt and place a torque wrench over the endlink nut. Most guys I have talked to just torqued it by feel.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Just dial 1911

joerockt:

Ah crap, I hope thats not the reason. I was wondering about this when I first installed it, but it looks the same when flipped either way

It makes sense what your saying though. I guess its back under the car this weekend...

Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Ah crap, I hope thats not the reason. I was wondering about this when I first installed it, but it looks the same when flipped either way

It makes sense what your saying though. I guess its back under the car this weekend...

Somone needs to post a pic of the CORRECT installation.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:50 AM
JOATMON

One other thing: if you choose to reinstall, drive the car (preferably around some curves) before judging whether your clearance has improved. I noticed that once I drove the car after the install, the clearance improved as the sway bar assumed its natural position. I had jacked up my car and removed the Pass. rear wheel for ease of installation (as other DIYs had suggested), which in turn had loaded the rear suspension on the driver's side.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2005, 10:55 AM
Just dial 1911

One other thing: if you choose to reinstall, drive the car (preferably around some curves) before judging whether your clearance has improved. I noticed that once I drove the car after the install, the clearance improved as the sway bar assumed its natural position. I had jacked up my car and removed the Pass. rear wheel for ease of installation (as other DIYs had suggested), which in turn had loaded the rear suspension on the driver's side.

Good luck!

Will do!

Here is a thread I found on another board regarding sway bars being installed upside down, I guess its possible then

Link
Old 06-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Will do!

Here is a thread I found on another board regarding sway bars being installed upside down, I guess its possible then

Link
I'm pretty sure its not possible for ours. I actually tried one time just to see what happens. The way its bent, its more or less impossible to connect the end links to the bar. I didn't try however, just lined it up.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by xizor
I'm pretty sure its not possible for ours. I actually tried one time just to see what happens. The way its bent, its more or less impossible to connect the end links to the bar. I didn't try however, just lined it up.
Well, Im willing to try anything at this point...Im gettin desperate
Old 06-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Well, Im willing to try anything at this point...Im gettin desperate
what do you mean by "causing bumps", I'm not quite getting what the exact problem is
Old 06-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Just dial 1911

what do you mean by "causing bumps", I'm not quite getting what the exact problem is
Anytime I go over bumps, or uneven surfaces, I get a loud "thump" "bump" or "clank" what ever you want to call it. Like metal is hitting or shifting. Its been there since the day I installed it.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Got Milk???

Originally Posted by Alin10123
Yes, since there's less flex in the thicker one.
Even if it drove the same. i'd be paranoid enough to make them the same.

now i'm praying that my right rear link breaks too so i can have dealer replace it :
Old 06-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Anytime I go over bumps, or uneven surfaces, I get a loud "thump" "bump" or "clank" what ever you want to call it. Like metal is hitting or shifting. Its been there since the day I installed it.
sounds like the end link, maybe loosen the bolt up and grease it?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Just dial 1911

sounds like the end link, maybe loosen the bolt up and grease it?
Dude, I've tried many things with those bolts. I've come to the conslusion that the bar isnt sitting flush with the end link, thus causing shifting, thus causing the clanking.

And I think the reason why its not sitting flush is because its in upside down...has to be...

I'll find out this weekend...
Old 06-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Got Milk???

Dude, I've tried many things with those bolts. I've come to the conslusion that the bar isnt sitting flush with the end link, thus causing shifting, thus causing the clanking.

And I think the reason why its not sitting flush is because its in upside down...has to be...

I'll find out this weekend...

My left and right end links dont sit exactly the same. Actually it looks like right side is more squeezed to the side while left has a full range of space. I do notice a "clank" sound going over speed bumps on the right side only, so that may be the problem. Are you going to be at the meet on saturday? If you are, then we can take a look at it.

-KC
Old 06-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by kaikai114
My left and right end links dont sit exactly the same. Actually it looks like right side is more squeezed to the side while left has a full range of space. I do notice a "clank" sound going over speed bumps on the right side only, so that may be the problem. Are you going to be at the meet on saturday? If you are, then we can take a look at it.

-KC
I wish I could make it, but Im going to be down in SD on Saturday.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Team Owner

I wish I could make it, but Im going to be down in SD on Saturday.
Where have I heard that before? j/k

jlukja, who looked for joerockt at the Irvine meet
Old 06-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Just dial 1911

Where have I heard that before? j/k

jlukja, who looked for joerockt at the Irvine meet

Hey, I never commited to this latest meet!

Well meet soon

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar Link TSB (98-05 Accord)