Rear speaker rattle with bass

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear speaker rattle with bass

My driver side rear 6x9 has been rattling for a couple years now with bass. Is there an easy fix for this that you guys can recommend?

I play music at about 15-20 with an ipod and bass at +2.

thanks
Old 02-12-2010, 12:18 PM
5th Gear

I upgraded all the speakers in my TSX to Alpine S-series, solved the problem I was having with bass rattle. I dont know if there is an easy way to fix the rattle with the stock speakers though.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Racer

damn.. i was figuring there was maybe some screws or some kinda shimmy i could squeeze next to it to get it to stop.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:03 PM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Sumner Collins
I upgraded all the speakers in my TSX to Alpine S-series, solved the problem I was having with bass rattle. I dont know if there is an easy way to fix the rattle with the stock speakers though.
I have found a cure for AIDs. That is all.....

Cmon man you gotta share the information

I upgraded my 6x9 with Polks and my rear deck rattled like crazy. I found what was rattling and it was the seat belt unit of the middle seat (Located on the rear deck). If I held onto it, the rattle would be gone. I tried stuffing a towel around it but it never really worked. Then I got the whole rear deck dynamat'ed and from 80% rattle became 5% rattle.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Racer

for me its the speaker itself i believe. if i press down on the speaker the rattle goes away. that's why i was thinking maybe there's something i could tighten up or try to wedge something in between it and the deck..
Old 02-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Cruisin'

You'll find a lot of references on the forum regarding how crap the 6x9 are. Only last week replaced mine with some Sony's picked up on the cheap last summer.Spent a week suffering the dreaded rattling. At first thought it was coming from the center brake light,but found it was coming from the seat belt as mdkxtreme mentioned.Bit of a job getting the black plastic cover off , jammed pieces of cloth on the sides of the unit. I would say rattle gone about 70% but liveable for now till weather gets warmer I'll do a more permanent job.What's this "dynamat'ed" ?
During my research on rattles some found bad welds causing rattles,some vehicles have a mystery black unit near the center which also rattles.
I actually think Acura purposely put in crap speakers so that people wouldn't complain about all the rattling !!!
Old 02-15-2010, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chelsea John
You'll find a lot of references on the forum regarding how crap the 6x9 are. Only last week replaced mine with some Sony's picked up on the cheap last summer.Spent a week suffering the dreaded rattling. At first thought it was coming from the center brake light,but found it was coming from the seat belt as mdkxtreme mentioned.Bit of a job getting the black plastic cover off , jammed pieces of cloth on the sides of the unit. I would say rattle gone about 70% but liveable for now till weather gets warmer I'll do a more permanent job.What's this "dynamat'ed" ?
During my research on rattles some found bad welds causing rattles,some vehicles have a mystery black unit near the center which also rattles.
I actually think Acura purposely put in crap speakers so that people wouldn't complain about all the rattling !!!
Dynamat is a material that absorbs vibration. it's actually a pretty heavy material too. at first I thought I would loose some "bump" on the bass because they say it absorbs vibration, but I actually don't think it did. i got my whole rear deck laid with dynamat. just google dynamat or go to any audio shop.

I was such a happy camper after the installation because the rattle that drove me crazy was completely gone.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Chelsea John
what do you mean by black plastic cover? Is this from inside the trunk, something you took off?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by alucardx
what do you mean by black plastic cover? Is this from inside the trunk, something you took off?
The black plastic cover that covers the whole rear deck, where the 6x9's are. Basicallly, if you don't know how to access the top of the rear suspension, you shouldn't be trying to take the rear deck cover off. It's a doozy.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
The black plastic cover that covers the whole rear deck, where the 6x9's are. Basicallly, if you don't know how to access the top of the rear suspension, you shouldn't be trying to take the rear deck cover off. It's a doozy.
well i hear that.. i guess when it gets warm out i'll try to screw around with it and see if i can add some padding or cloth or something near where the speaker attachs itself. i just need to some how add pressure to a certain side of it to elminate the rattle.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:40 PM

well i hear that.. i guess when it gets warm out i'll try to screw around with it and see if i can add some padding or cloth or something near where the speaker attachs itself. i just need to some how add pressure to a certain side of it to elminate the rattle.
You're gonna have to remove the bolt that holds the sides of the rear seats (the piece closest to the door). Then pry off the side airbags, pop off the rear brake lights, and pop open the rear deck cover. They're all tabs, so you don't need to worry about any screws.

Sorry the description might be hard to understand, but someone showed me how it was done and that's how I know how to do it.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Guys im sitting in my car right now on my laptop, I took the inner liner out and got in there and stuffed ripped up old T shirts in there and it seems to help a little but it still rattles. The middle seat belt thing is def the biggest issue, i shoved as much stuff in there as I could.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Crestwood1001
Guys im sitting in my car right now on my laptop, I took the inner liner out and got in there and stuffed ripped up old T shirts in there and it seems to help a little but it still rattles. The middle seat belt thing is def the biggest issue, i shoved as much stuff in there as I could.
I stuffed my rear deck with towels too and still had rattles, so I resorted to getting dynamat installed and the rattle was gone.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Cool

Originally Posted by mdkxtreme
Dynamat is a material that absorbs vibration. it's actually a pretty heavy material too. at first I thought I would loose some "bump" on the bass because they say it absorbs vibration, but I actually don't think it did. i got my whole rear deck laid with dynamat. just google dynamat or go to any audio shop.

I was such a happy camper after the installation because the rattle that drove me crazy was completely gone.
Thanks. I'll definitely look into this. Sounds just like what we all need.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Cruisin'

Should have been a bit more descriptive. Talking about the black cover for the center seat belt retracting unit accessed from inside the trunk. You should be able to push on the cover to see if this is where the rattle is coming from.