Rear rattle/creak fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear rattle/creak fixed!

Just wanted to share how Lindsay Acura (Columbus OH) fixed my rear deck creak. First the problem: Very noticeable creak/rattle every time I took a turn at low speeds (traffic light/parking lot speeds, 10-25mph). Very irritating to say the least.

The spot the creak was coming from seemed to come from the metal frame behind the rear seats. Seats were removed and EPT tape placed under the rear shelf - no luck. Rear interior trim panels, rear shelf, rear windshield and even the trunk lid and hinges removed - no luck. They contacted Acura and apparently there have been reports of this problem from a number of dealers and no one has been able to figure it out.

Rear speakers and seatbelt assemblies were removed - no luck.

Eventually (this was after they had the car over a week and a half), with all those parts out, they narrowed it down to a spot weld on the frame behind the left rear seat. They massaged the metal in that spot and finally, finally got rid of the problem!

Regardless to say I am very happy with my rattle/creak-free TSX. So if you have this same problem, let your dealer know to contact Lindsay Acura - what was done for my car hopefully might solve your problem.

BTW, I did have that infamous windshield/dashboard rattle previously - it has since worked it's way out somehow without any fixes - it disappeared before I took the car in for this rear deck problem, which was a good thing, otherwise they might have had the car for 2 weeks . Hopefully it stays away .
Old 03-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

Originally Posted by divenow
Just wanted to share how Lindsay Acura (Columbus OH) fixed my rear deck creak. First the problem: Very noticeable creak/rattle every time I took a turn at low speeds (traffic light/parking lot speeds, 10-25mph). Very irritating to say the least.
I have a really bad creak in my rear winshield. I can't tell if its the same sa what you're experiecing. It occurs when going over uneven great, basically the rear equivalent to the front winshield rattle. Do you think that'd be the weld point you're referring to? I've never taken it in for the creak, but I plan to soon.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by xizor
I have a really bad creak in my rear winshield. I can't tell if its the same sa what you're experiecing. It occurs when going over uneven great, basically the rear equivalent to the front winshield rattle. Do you think that'd be the weld point you're referring to? I've never taken it in for the creak, but I plan to soon.
You never know - tell your dealer about my problem and have them contact Lindsay Acura if possible.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Registered Abuser

Did a search and found this thread because I have an occasional creaking sound from my rear deck. Can't tell eactly where it is coming from but the base of the rear glass is my best guess. The strange thing is it comes and goes, it is not always there. I notice it mostly when going over speedbumps at slow speed. Basically anything that causes the chassis/body to flex. For some reason, it doesn't bother me too much maybe because it isn't always present.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Advanced

What exactly does massaging the weld entail? Obviously I know jack about welds..
Old 12-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xizor
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but xizor did you ever find out what was causing this? I've JUST started to develop the same problem, and I already checked that it's not any broken tabs on the brake light. It only occurs when driving on uneven surfaces.