Rattles investigation - PLEASE PARTICIPATE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 12:52 AM
TSX, baby!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattles investigation - PLEASE PARTICIPATE!!!!

Everyone who owns a TSX:

I thought about a way that will provide a relatively accurate (pardon the pun!), scientific analysis about what is causing the rattles and whether or not everyone has them, or possibly if they were addressed/fixed in newer builds.

My car does *not* have any rattles, so it's either because it's brand-new (I have less than 160 miles on it) or because it's a newer build date or because it's automatic or because it has navigation, etc.....

But, we'll never know until a good sampling of data is collected and this thread is the place to do it. After a good sampling, I'll summarize the data and let everyone know "what's up"!

Reply to this post with the following info:
(cut and paste between the ='s)
==
1) Do you have rattles?
2) What is your build #? (last 5 digits of your VIN)
3) What is your build date (this is found on the label on the drivers door jamb with the VIN on it. LOOK VERY CLOSE - it will say something like 7/03)?
4) Is your car a US or Canadian model?
5) Is your car an automatic or manual?
6) Do you have Navigation?
7) Amount of mileage/kilometers on your car?
8) Length of time owned?
==
I know people in other countries (Japan and Europe) have reported rattles, but for the sake of simplicity and to have a focused investigation, I only want to deal with the US and Canadian cars. Once we figure out if it's "only manuals without navigation systems" (that's a just a wild, random thought) then we can open another new post asking other countries!

Please be 100% honest and don't give any extra info other than what the 7 questions ask. Tracking this down to build #'s, transmissions, and the other criteria listed above should really give us a good database that we can work with to narrow down the issue.

Thanks!

I'll kick it off...
==
1) Do you have rattles? No.
2) What is your build #? (last 5 digits of your VIN) #12238
3) What is your build date (this is found on the label inside on the drivers door jamb with the VIN on it. LOOK VERY CLOSE - it will say something like 7/03)? 7/03
4) Is your car a US or Canadian model? US
5) Is your car an Automatic or Manual? Automatic
6) Do you have Navigation? Yes.
7) Amount of mileage on your car? 165 miles
8) Length of time owned? 2 weeks
Old 09-10-2003, 02:10 AM
Racer

1. Yes
2. 9505
3. i'll find out teh build date tommorow
4. US
5. Auto (with Sequential Sportshift might i add)
6. No Navi... i have maps from AAA
7. 2k miles
8. 5 weeks

FYI, my car did NOT rattle for the first 200 miles.... at least i didn't think it did. After a few people sat in the passanger side, rattles started. I think if no one touches the passanger door, u will not get rattles from that door.

I have pinpointed the rattles in my car.

---Driver's Door---
>The lock knob
>The window controls

---Passanger Door---
>The area closest to the passanger side view mirror
>The lock knob also
(passanger door rattles 90% of the time. for some reason, it rattles a lot more listening to news radio then when i listen to hip hop)

---Rear---
>The rear deck has rattles on the left speaker somewhere, real bad
>The rear deck in general is real bad...

---Misc---
>My glove compartment rattles like hell in the 5k to 7.1k rpm range
>not really rattle, but i wish the rear view mirror wouldn't shake as much when the bass is up

My solution: when i get new speakers (and when i have enough money) , i am going to get a huge dynamat kit and try to put that on much of the doors and rear deck as i can. I've read enuff about you guys going to dealers and not having very much luck. I don't think i'll have much luck either. I'll just do this myself.

EDIT: all these rattles i am talking about can be heard at various times with stereo off. so these are real rattles, with stereo off. I can hear the rear deck click, door click...etc. These rattles progressivly worsen when music is played louder and louder
Old 09-10-2003, 06:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
1) Yes
2) 00370
3) ?
4) US
5) 6MT
6) Non-Nav
7) 6800
8) 18 weeks
Old 09-10-2003, 08:30 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful throwing around the word rattle. The main "Rattle" problme in the TSX is the pass door problem that comes out when high volume bassy music is played. So some may have it and never realize it, and more importantly I know for a fact alot of people have this problem but dont consider it a "Rattle". So lets be specific...which problem we are trying to solve here?
Old 09-10-2003, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

1. Yes
2. 12171
3. 07/03
4. US
5. 5AT
6. No Nav
7. 78
8. 3 weeks

There's some kind of rattle on my rear deck. It's definately NOT a stereo bass issue, b/c I hear it without the stereo on. But I need a co-pilot in the back seat to pinpoint the exact spot.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:52 AM
Instructor

1) Do you have rattles? hell yeah i have rattles.
2) What is your build #? 05931
3) What is your build date? unknown
5) Is your car an automatic or manual? Automatic
6) Do you have Navigation? Yes
7) Amount of mileage/kilometers on your car? 3900 m
8) Length of time owned? 3 months
Old 09-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1) Do you have rattles? Yes
2) What is your build #? 06400
3) What is your build date? May 19, 2003
5) Is your car an automatic or manual? 6MT
6) Do you have Navigation? No
7) Amount of mileage/kilometers on your car? 4300
8) Length of time owned? 2.5 months

*********EDIT**********
Driver's Door - around the lock area
(not there if windows are open; thinking its torque from the window)

Passenger Door - around the speaker area
(usually don't notice it b/c the music is up too loud, not there if no music is being played)

Radio settings - Bass -2, Treble +4, Fader R2
Old 09-10-2003, 09:39 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by fdl
Be careful throwing around the word rattle. The main "Rattle" problme in the TSX is the pass door problem that comes out when high volume bassy music is played. So some may have it and never realize it, and more importantly I know for a fact alot of people have this problem but dont consider it a "Rattle". So lets be specific...which problem we are trying to solve here?

Guys...as I said in the above post. If we are all talking about diff rattles this thread isnt going to tell us much. We need to be very specific on what rattle we are talking about and exactly how we can test for it. (i.e. play song X at bass + 5 and sit in pass seat).
Old 09-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Drifting

The intention of this thread is good, but the execution blows. I totally agree with fdl about what he's saying. We need to list what the rattles are and not confuse a rattle with a low-frequency vibration noise. There is a difference.
Old 09-10-2003, 10:24 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
The only rattle or vibration noise I have is from lisening to AM radio Throwing in a CD and blasting it produces nothing.

But again its a vibration, so how will this thread be defined?
Old 09-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Registered AssHat

1) Yes. In the driver, passenger, driver rear door, and one in the dash on the passenger side.
2) 00577
3) 4/03
4) US
5) 6MT
6) No NAV
7) 6000 miles
8) 4 months
Old 09-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Ok, so it looks like there is no pattern between nav/no nav or new/old. There are serials from the beginning to recent.
Old 09-10-2003, 02:30 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

There is probably 1 drunk Japanese guy on the line screwing up all our cars. Maybe the guy putting in the pass door panel. I hope they find him and fire him.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:54 PM
Instructor

1) No
2) 12314
3) 7/03
4) US
5) AT
6) Yes, have nav
7) 950m
8) 4 days
Old 09-10-2003, 06:21 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1) Do you have rattles? no
2) What is your build #? (last 5 digits of your VIN) 0764
3) What is your build date 3/03
4) Is your car a US or Canadian model? Canadian
5) Is your car an automatic or manual? auto
6) Do you have Navigation? no
7) Amount of mileage/kilometers on your car? 11,800 km
8) Length of time owned? since April 23
Old 09-10-2003, 06:24 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by domn
The only rattle or vibration noise I have is from lisening to AM radio Throwing in a CD and blasting it produces nothing.

But again its a vibration, so how will this thread be defined?
I have the same issue but only when the bass and volume is turned way up esp while listening to talk radio ie Howard Stern...this does not produce rattles though; more of a vibration...
Old 09-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Don't listen to me.

1) No
2) 1610
3) 7/03
4) US
5) automatic
6) Navigation Yes
7) 1200
8) Aug 8
Old 09-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Banned

1) Just the buzzing noize in the doors when bass is turned up
2) 02184
3) Don't know
4) US
5) 6MT
6) Non-navi
7) 6000 miles
8) Delivery date 4/21/03
Old 09-13-2003, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
1) Do you have rattles? Yes, I have one coming from the dash on the passanger side.
2) What is your build #? 2355
3) What is your build date? 3/03
5) Is your car an automatic or manual? AUTO
6) Do you have Navigation? Yes I love my NAVI
7) Amount of mileage/kilometers on your car? 11,000 miles
8) Length of time owned? 5 Months

By the way, the rattle started within the first few days I had it. It only does it sometimes (2-3 times a week).
Old 09-15-2003, 01:34 AM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
No rattles.
8500 miles
Old 09-19-2003, 02:34 PM
Pro

1) Do you have rattles? Yes,
2) What is your build #? 577
3) What is your build date? don't know
4) Is your car a US or Canadian model? CDN
5) Is your car an automatic or manual? manual
7) Amount of mileage/kilometers on your car? 9000 km
8) Length of time owned? 5 Months

Metalic-like rattle emanating from the steering column when I go over certain bumps in the road.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:22 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by crisco

Metalic-like rattle emanating from the steering column when I go over certain bumps in the road.
Hmmm...thats a new one.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:37 PM
More On

Originally posted by fdl
Be careful throwing around the word rattle......Some may have it and never realize it, and more importantly I know for a fact alot of people have this problem but dont consider it a "Rattle". So lets be specific...which problem we are trying to solve here?
I've wondered about this, and I don't recall that it's been seriously addressed before. Like Jason said, it has seemed like maybe much of what people have been talking about are VIBRATIONS rather than "rattles" -- and, maybe that's not even a problem?? Or if it is, it's a different problem.

My car sounds completely perfect to me, but I can't help wondering if maybe some of y'all would get in there and say, "Sure as hell you have the rattles."
Old 09-19-2003, 11:41 PM
More On

Originally posted by lshenretty
......4 days
ISH HAS HIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!

And, NO RATTLES!!!! (Double congrats!)

(Remember, Ish, you gotta tell us how this car feels to a former 528 guy.)
Old 09-19-2003, 11:43 PM
More On

1) Do you have rattles? NO
2) What is your build #? 02754
3) What is your build date? 03/03
5) Is your car an automatic or manual? AUTO
6) Do you have Navigation? YES
7) Amount of mileage/kilometers on your car? 7900 MILES
8) Length of time owned? SINCE 4/28

P.S. Thanks for doing this. I've wondered myself.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:46 PM
TSX, baby!

I'm starting to think the rattles "problem" isn't such a problem. This is *supposedly* the #1 issue that people with TSX's post about, yet this thread only had 14 replies (15 if you count mine)!?

With how many members this forum has and how vocal people have been about this problem, it either means that:

1) Very few people have this problem
2) There are trolls who are making a big stink about these so-called "rattles" to deter future buyers of TSX's or
3) You MF's is lazy!

Out of the 15 replies, here's what I deduced: 11 people have rattles of some sort, but with the lack of a sufficient sample (c'mon 15 out of THOUSANDS of cars), this doesn't seem like a problem, but rather a SUBJECTIVE issue.

Since my car doesn't have rattles (but yes, it DOES buzz around the lock area when I listen to Howard Stern!) I don't believe it to be a widespread/major problem.

If YOU do, then start your own damn thread. My attempt to investigate is ova'.
Old 09-21-2003, 08:47 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Y2K4 TSX
I'm starting to think the rattles "problem" isn't such a problem. This is *supposedly* the #1 issue that people with TSX's post about, yet this thread only had 14 replies (15 if you count mine)!?

With how many members this forum has and how vocal people have been about this problem, it either means that:

1) Very few people have this problem
2) There are trolls who are making a big stink about these so-called "rattles" to deter future buyers of TSX's or
3) You MF's is lazy!

Out of the 15 replies, here's what I deduced: 11 people have rattles of some sort, but with the lack of a sufficient sample (c'mon 15 out of THOUSANDS of cars), this doesn't seem like a problem, but rather a SUBJECTIVE issue.

Since my car doesn't have rattles (but yes, it DOES buzz around the lock area when I listen to Howard Stern!) I don't believe it to be a widespread/major problem.

If YOU do, then start your own damn thread. My attempt to investigate is ova'.
Y2k...this issue has been beaten to death, and most people havent responded. For example..i have many rattles but I didnt respond. I felt this thread was far to general to be of any use which is the main reason I didnt post, and other may have felt the same.

The bottom line is the TSX has a definate rattle problem. To think otherwise would be somewhat ignorant.
There is a poll that is stickied in this section which has 105 responses and the results are very conslusive. It shows that roughly 2/3 cars has a rattle in some form or another.

LOL. Dude...I hate to break the bad news to you..but you DO have rattles. This "buzzing" is one example of the problem that is plaguing the TSX. You may find itacceptable...but I defiantely don't. When I read things like this I even think our 2/3 cars conclusion is even too optimistic. I think many people have noises, rattles, buzzes, creaks, but simply dont consider it a big deal and vote "no" in the polls, ,, or like you have done...claim you have no rattles when in fact you do. You can argue its not a big problem, and i agree its not a BIG problem...but that doesnt mean its not a problem.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:08 PM
TSX, baby!

fdl,

Talk about trying to start a pissing contest. So you only reply to posts when your emotions are involved? I hate to break the news to *you* but the buzzing doesn't bother me and since I'm the one that paid for my car, it's not a problem to me. If you still feel that it's a problem - do something about it instead of trying to lecture someone who TRIED to help others on forum.

And before you get all pissy, look at your offensive post. I'm the one that started a thread to help the entire forum, and when I posted the pathetic results and my disappointment about who didn't participate, you reply with "it's a problem to me, screw you since it doesn't bother you". Real nice.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:10 PM
TSX, baby!

..and oh yeah - the poll doesn't mean shit - people can make fake names and vote - like I said, it could be trolls. The point of this thread was to get people to post with their nicknames and their actual car data. Again, I'm surprised that it's such a problem, yet you wouldn't contribute to a thread that was trying to find a common thread. :
Old 09-21-2003, 10:32 PM
More On

Not to try to be mediator or anything, but I consider both of you dudes to be sort of buddies, so:

The poll DOES mean shit (by which I mean the opposite of "doesn't mean shit" ), and I'm not just saying that because I started the poll. Even if you don't think the sheer number of votes means something (which IMHO it clearly does), just look at the posts on that thread -- the number of them and the nature of them. I think it would be awfully hard to argue against the legitimacy of what is being expressed there. And, BTW, I personally DON'T have rattles, and to the extent that I had an agenda in starting the poll, it was because I started out thinking exactly what you're thinking, i.e. that perhaps the impression about the rattle problem was exaggerated (although I never thought the problem might be trolls). But I quickly saw that there really IS a problem.

But on the other hand, I've got to say that it also matters quite a bit whether it's "rattles" or "vibrations" or "buzzes," because: It suggests that MAYBE the issue isn't well-defined in many people's minds, and so it's possible that some number of the "yesses" are about different things, including maybe some instances of NO problem. I'm not yet convinced the problem exists in quite as much as 2/3 of the cars, but for sure it's A LOT -- I don't see how you can doubt that if you look at the whole picture. Even if it's only 1/3, which is probably an absolute rock-bottom figure, isn't that significant?

But besides that -- as a not-so-great sage once said, Can't we all get along? We all love the car, and some of us have certain complaints which to us are valid, and others of us don't. So what?
Old 09-21-2003, 11:03 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Y2K4 TSX
fdl,

Talk about trying to start a pissing contest. So you only reply to posts when your emotions are involved? I hate to break the news to *you* but the buzzing doesn't bother me and since I'm the one that paid for my car, it's not a problem to me. If you still feel that it's a problem - do something about it instead of trying to lecture someone who TRIED to help others on forum.

And before you get all pissy, look at your offensive post. I'm the one that started a thread to help the entire forum, and when I posted the pathetic results and my disappointment about who didn't participate, you reply with "it's a problem to me, screw you since it doesn't bother you". Real nice.

Y2k4, If you actually read my post..I said that the buzzing may not bother YOU, but it bothers me, and many others on this board. Just because a problem isnt big for you, doesnt mean the problem doesnt exist, or isnt a big deal for others.

So the most bass you listen to is howard stern?..now imagine if 50% of the music you listened do caused the same buzzing. Would that be more of a problem? Maybe you still wouldnt care...but thats not the point. So because Y2K doesnt mind buzzing in his ears..i guess all the people complaining about rattles are "trolls" or making it up.

If you did enough research you would know that there is no doubting this is a problem. Between the poll, the literally thousands of posts, the fact that you yourself ADMIT to hearing buzzing sometimes; ... to say that maybe very few people have this problem..or to call the people complaining about it .. trolls is completely ignorant.

As for your thread...I never thought the point of it was to show how many people had rattles. The point was to see if there was some connection between rattles and build #. YOu intention was god, but your idea was bad. This could never work without limiting the specific rattle we are talkking about. For example...door lock buzz. If we just lump all rattles in together this doesnt work. And i posted about this earlier in the thread (so now this was not my first post).

I never said anything like "its a problem for me so screw you". I said...there is a problem..if you cant see it..you are ignorant and dont suggest that the people who actually care about these rattles are making a big deal out of nothing, or even worse...are trolls.

I appreciate your origional post..in that you were trying to help out. But there is a problem.

EDIT: And how can you accuse me of not helping out??...I have contributed to every rattle thread on this site. Believe me I want nothing more that to solve this problem...which is why I feel pretending it doesnt exist is extremely anti-productive.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:52 AM
Intermediate

stop fighthing please, we need to work together on this. What i was wondering is if the build numbers can be traced to where they were built.
Are they all built in the same place. Meaning maybe one production plant has a bunch of drunks in it and the other is good.
Not sure, but please dont fight, kiss and make up.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:35 AM
Racer

1) Do you have rattles? Not at all
2) What is your build #? 02929
3) What is your build date? 07/03
7) Amount of mileage/kilometers on your car? 2000km
8) Length of time owned? 3 weeks
Old 09-22-2003, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

1) no rattles
2) 12425
3) ?
4) US
5) Auto
6) no nav
7) 700 miles
8) since Sept 11
Old 09-22-2003, 08:57 PM
Drifting

I think someone in Japan should commit suicide over this. Besides the usual reasons, this means more sushi for me. Cheers.
Old 09-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Mud in your eye!

1) Very Minor
2) 00987
3) 3/03
4) CDN
5) AT
6) NO
7) 4400 km
8) Amost 4mos
Old 09-29-2003, 09:38 AM
1st Gear

1) No
2) 4587
3) 4/03
4) US
5) 6MT
6) No
7) 5185
8) since 6/11/03
Old 09-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Beaver Believer

1) Yes
2) 8363
3) 6/03
4) US
5) Manual
6) No
7) 2,050
8) 7-30-03
Old 10-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Cruisin'

1) Do you have rattles? YES

2) What is your build #? 012505

3) What is your build date? don't know

7) Amount of mileage/kilometers on your car?
850 miles

8) Length of time owned? 6 weeks
Old 10-14-2003, 08:43 PM
2nd Gear

1) Do you have rattles? Yes.
2) What is your build #? 02326
3) What is your build date? 06/03
7) Amount of mileage/kilometers on your car? 4500 km
8) Length of time owned? 2 1/2 months

Have a rattle/rubbing noise in drivers window, sounds like the glass is rubbing against the seal

Quick Reply: Rattles investigation - PLEASE PARTICIPATE!!!!