Rattle from the engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004 | 01:30 PM
CeD

Rattle from the engine compartment

Hey all,

Does anyone here have a rattle coming from the engine compartment? In my TSX, it only occurs on certain types of pavement -- but when it happens it is . At first I thought it was my AEM SRI heat shield -- however, I lined the whole thing with neoprene.

I inspected all the other components and the only thing that I can make a similar noise with would be the fan assembly -- it's not fastened down very well and appears to be done so by design (probably a reason for this). I am not particularly sure that this is the problem though.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-16-2004 | 08:31 AM
CeD

It appears that I am the only person experiencing this issue -- any ideas?
Old 11-16-2004 | 08:43 AM
Quattro in.....

Did you read through this thread: VTEC rattling

Not sure if it relates to your question, but if it does post over there to keep the discussion on one thread.
Old 11-18-2004 | 07:30 AM
CeD

Hi,

It's not related to the engine. I get it when I am at a stop light, however, when the car is in park it is gone. I also get it when I go over bumps or roads that aren't smooth.

It's something in the engine compartment that is moving...
Old 11-18-2004 | 07:31 AM
Race Director

None, except for that damm windshield.
Old 11-18-2004 | 11:28 AM
CeD

The funny thing is that it doesn't always do it. I have not noticed any pattern such as ambient temperature, engine temperature, etc.

For instance, I just returned from lunch; on the way to Chic-Fil-A I stopped at 4 stoplights and also drove over many bumps -- the noise was completely absent. However, on the way back it was present -- I don't understand.

The only pattern I have noticed is that once it starts, it doesn't stop for the remainder of the drive.

Here are a couple things I have noticed:

1) When at stop lights, it starts making the vibration noise. When I let go of the brake it stops. When I turn the AC off, it stops. (This is a slight vibration noise)

2) When I go over bumps the same noise as the one mentioned above happens, except it is louder. I am not great at diagnosing sounds, but it sounds like metal hitting another piece of metal.

I'm thinking that it might be the AEM heat shield, but the portion that sits on the engine mount is lined with neoprene... so I am not sure. I inspected the heat shield several times and it is secured very tightly. After many attempts, I cannot reproduce any noise at all while shaking or pounding on it with my hand.

Any ideas? It is driving me nuts!!
Old 11-18-2004 | 12:52 PM
Quattro in.....

was it making this sound before you brought it in for service?
What kind of service did you have done? Maybe they forgot to tighten something?
Old 11-18-2004 | 01:28 PM
CeD

Hi Viking,

Yes, it has been doing it for quite a while now. I am fairly certain that it started when I installed the AEM SRI.
Old 11-18-2004 | 01:39 PM
Quattro in.....

Take a look at this thread. Mentions something about rubber spacers to help keep vibrations down and allow movement with the engine.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=AEM+install
Old 11-18-2004 | 01:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Check the clearance between the intake pipe and the throttle body. There should be a little clearance so the pipe doesn't touch the TB.

Try this... loosen the big hose clamp at the TB where it connects to the intake pipe. Push the pipe against the TB until it touches. Then pull back slightly like 2 to 3mm. Then finally tighten down the hose clamp.
Old 11-18-2004 | 02:06 PM
CeD

Hi guys,

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try them all and report back.

I just returned from my 15 minute break from work... I went to take a look at the intake and noticed something:

There are scratches on the pipe right behind the heat-shield. So this tells me that the heat-shield is rubbing against the pipe. There is a lot of clearance space but I guess with the engine vibration and throttle that it reaches it somehow. For now, I inserted a small piece of rubber in between the pipe and shield.

I will try the other suggestions when I get home tonight since I need some tools.

Later,
Cedric
Old 11-18-2004 | 02:10 PM
CeD

When inserting little peices of rubber, do I need to worry about using stuff that can't catch on fire? Or is it not a concern?
Old 11-18-2004 | 02:25 PM
Quattro in.....

Originally Posted by brerpie
When inserting little peices of rubber, do I need to worry about using stuff that can't catch on fire? Or is it not a concern?
I wouldn't recommend inserting pieces of rubber just anywhere.

I would recommend seeing how other have installed their AEM SRI. JTso and others who have mods on their car should be able to guide you in the right direction.
Old 11-18-2004 | 03:27 PM
Quattro in.....

I see that you noticed earlier there might be a problem earlier but couldn't diagnose it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=AEM+SRI

You might want to post there, maybe others who have the AEM SRI will spot it. (The thread title in that other thread may get more views, b/c I thought this thread was going to be another "rattles" thread).

I would mention the "type of sound" you are hearing and this part about

Originally Posted by brerpie
"There are scratches on the pipe right behind the heat-shield. So this tells me that the heat-shield is rubbing against the pipe".
Old 11-18-2004 | 05:10 PM
CeD

Alright -- I went ahead and reseated the pipe and I think it's gone!!

Is there a general rule to how much I want the pipe to be inside the coupler? I don't want my car to get messed up =P
Old 11-18-2004 | 05:23 PM
Quattro in.....

The installation instructions didn't specify? You may want to post that question in this other thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...EM+SRI+Install

I think it is has a better thread title for this question, maybe even PM the member who also did the install. That is if you don't get your answer in this thread.
Old 11-23-2004 | 09:57 PM
1st Gear

I have the same damn thing. I hear a rattle when I am at a stop sign and sounds like it is coming from behind the dash. Like a fan belt or something that is loose. I also have the creak in the windshield and it is driving me nuts!! Otherwise I love the car.

Any suggestions on these problems? I have read the other threads and have gotten some great ideas that I am going to have to try out.
I would appreciate all the help!!
Old 03-25-2005 | 09:59 PM
Intermediate

I started getting this too. Seems to happen only over grooved concrete and where the concrete is uneven, normally at moderate speeds. It's as if there were a loose piece of metal rattling against metal, and sounds like it's coming from the right front wheel well area. At first I thought it was something in the glove box, like the glove box rattling up and down inside the mounts. But after some testing, that wasn't it. I've checked inside the engine compartment from the top and can't find anything loose. At a loss where to check next.
Old 04-05-2005 | 11:58 PM
Racer

Behind the Dash Rattle

I noticed that I had a rattle seeming to come from inside the dash today too. It seemed to come from the drivers side and I could only hear it when I was in neutral. It is a slower rythym clicking and it doesn't change with engine rpms. any ideas what it could be??