Random Technology Cat / Cusco Type II Road Damage

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006 | 07:42 PM
ABP TSX

Random Technology Cat / Cusco Type II Road Damage

So I was on my commute home today....

This Sebring has just cut in front of me in stop and go traffic. I see a brief flash in front of me. The next thing I hear is thunk, thunk, thunk, and more thunk. Because of traffic and no turn offs, I have not choice but to drive almost home. My wife and I went back to the scene of the crime and found a large ass rock from road construction. It even has blue paint from the Cusco Type II bar.

The pictures below show the damage. I am not that concerned with the Cusco Type II bar. However, I am worried about the damage to the RTC. If has 2 nice dents in the body, and I expect that this will ruin the piece. The bar seemed to prevent my Comptech Header from taking a direct hit. I could not find any damage on the header. I guess that is a little luck. I also found some slight damage to the exhaust pipe and the resonator on my Comptech Exhaust. That damage is very slight though on the exhaust. I looked over every inch on the car and could not locate any other damage.

Anyone care to agree or disagree on the cat being ruined?

Cliff Notes for the lazy:
Hit rock on commute home. I think I damaged the cat. Do I need a replacement? See pictures below.

Damage to the Cusco Type II Bar

Damage to the RTC

Another view of the RTC

Close-up of the RTC

This is a view of the roadway when I went back to retrieve offensive material. It is the rock right by the curb.

The rock I retrieved from the scene.

Close-up for the blue paint from the Cusco Type II Bar.
Old 01-17-2006 | 07:51 PM
Professional Newbie

wow, sorry to see that happen. You seem to have flawless proof of what actually happened, too bad its not damage the city can cover (such as damage from a pothole). I think the cat should be fine though
Old 01-17-2006 | 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

I would remove the cat to inspect the core. Since the core is metal substrate, it might very well be intact and no internal damage. Once you have the cat off, shake it to see if the core is loose. If not, then you are fine.
Old 01-17-2006 | 08:07 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Yeah, sorry to see those pics man. That's one big ass rock. At least everything is under the car so it can't really be seen by most people.

Hearing stories like this makes me wonder if I should lower my car more like I had planned to. I've been seeing a lot of dead animals on the road lately, and I would hate to hit one of those
Old 01-17-2006 | 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

HOLY SHYT!!! Wonder if it is possible to get that construction company to pay for the damage for not keeping the road clear.

Definitely take the cat off and shake it. Also watch your water temp guage. If it climbs in the near future, then you have a restriction issue, but for as high flow as this cat is, I doubt that would even create an issue.

The Cusco can be bent back potentially.
Old 01-17-2006 | 09:05 PM
ABP TSX

Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess I should update the Timeline. Anyway, I took the Cusco bar off this evening. Hopefully, the weather cooperates, and I can take off the cat for a good shaking this weekend.

I found a "foreman" at the construction site and got the "what do you really think you are going to do" attitude. They have an office on down the highway that I am going to visit tomorrow. I took about 70 pictures as evidence, but I do not expect much in the way of compensation.

I am really pissed that none of these parts are even 45 days old.
Old 01-17-2006 | 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gsclifton
I found a "foreman" at the construction site and got the "what do you really think you are going to do" attitude.
Just pick up a bigger rock on the ground and ask him where he parks his car.
Old 01-17-2006 | 10:34 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Originally Posted by JTso
That's friggin' funny
Old 01-18-2006 | 01:21 AM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Old 01-18-2006 | 07:46 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

You could certainly take them to small-claims court as your damage is fairly minimal. With as much documentation as you have, plus your wife as a witness, plus the actual rock, my guess is a judge will be more inclined to see it your way. As opposed to the rock being put in the road by someone else or the construction company has never seen the rock before, or whatever they come up with as their version.

It's possible that, presented with the evidence and knowing you intend to pursue it in small-claims court, the construction company will agree to compensate you. Don't talk to the foreman or anyone at the site -- they're in no position to negotiate anything. Go to the offices where the executive-types are, or, if they aren't local, start calling.
Old 01-18-2006 | 08:01 AM
ABP TSX

^^^

We are going up to the construction offices after work today. I am hoping they will be reasonable. I have about 70 other pictures as evidence as well. There are rocks sprawling across both sides of the "zone" and I happened to encounter one traveling across the road way.

Now we are on the same page if they are unreasonable.
Old 01-18-2006 | 09:43 AM
Suzuka Master

^^^

We are going up to the construction offices after work today. I am hoping they will be reasonable. I have about 70 other pictures as evidence as well. There are rocks sprawling across both sides of the "zone" and I happened to encounter one traveling across the road way.

Now we are on the same page if they are unreasonable.
Yeah, it doesn't feel good to have to seek litigation, but do whatever it takes. I wouldn't be the slightest hesitant to ask for a legal contact at the company so that your lawyer knows who to contact should the conversation become ineffective.
Old 01-18-2006 | 09:55 AM
Master Graphic Artist

Hope you get your $$$ for that damage.
Old 01-18-2006 | 11:10 AM
OG

call your local dept of transportation
they will reimburse you if you submit a claim
Old 01-18-2006 | 11:23 AM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by Type X
call your local dept of transportation
they will reimburse you if you submit a claim
Update
- Contacted the City of Frisco and they punted to NTTA (North Texas Toll Way Association).

- NTTA punted to the construction company that is extending the Toll Way.

- I called the construction company and gave a report. They are contacting the Main Office to schedule a time to look at the damage. I am waiting on the call back.

I also called RT and they said more than likely the cat would need to be replaced. I am leaving early this afternoon to take it off when I get home from work, unless the construction company calls beforehand.
Old 01-18-2006 | 12:29 PM
Former Sponsor

I would remove the cat to inspect the core. Since the core is metal substrate, it might very well be intact and no internal damage. Once you have the cat off, shake it to see if the core is loose. If not, then you are fine.

Agreed
Old 01-18-2006 | 01:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Update
- Contacted the City of Frisco and they punted to NTTA (North Texas Toll Way Association).

- NTTA punted to the construction company that is extending the Toll Way.

- I called the construction company and gave a report. They are contacting the Main Office to schedule a time to look at the damage. I am waiting on the call back.

I also called RT and they said more than likely the cat would need to be replaced. I am leaving early this afternoon to take it off when I get home from work, unless the construction company calls beforehand.
Your 1000 post should be "They're paying for it"
Old 01-18-2006 | 01:53 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Old 01-18-2006 | 01:57 PM

yeah you defintly should get them to pay for it cause that is over 500 dollars in damaged parts. it'll teach them to keep the roads clean.
Old 01-18-2006 | 02:00 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I hope everything works out for you Gsclifton. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction. Good luck
Old 01-18-2006 | 08:19 PM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by moda_way
Your 1000 post should be "They're paying for it"
Damn, I was close

I got home today and pulled the cat.

All of the little "specs" are what substrate came out of the cat after a good shaking.

This is the best straight on shot of the substrate I could take:

So I think the RT cat survived the rock attack. I am still going to pressure the Construction Company to replace the Cusco Type II and the RT cat.

BTW
2 years and 1 month = 1000th POST w00t, yeah I post slow.
Old 01-18-2006 | 09:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I just thought of something....

It is illegal to remove a functioning cat off a vehicle, and I doubt the Random cat is certified for use on your OBD2 TSX. Make sure it is even legal for you to have that cat berfor you ask the government to buy you a new one!

Marcus
Old 01-18-2006 | 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe

It is illegal to remove a functioning cat off a vehicle, and I doubt the Random cat is certified for use on your OBD2 TSX. Make sure it is even legal for you to have that cat berfor you ask the government to buy you a new one!

Marcus
Hmm good point.

and I was just about to offer to buy the dented one.
Old 01-19-2006 | 05:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Marcus

Well, the specs of stuff coming out of it are a good reason for replacement not to mention the huge dent.
Old 01-19-2006 | 07:18 AM
Instructor

is the cusco bar cracked...?? it looks like it....if so i think its useless now!!
Old 01-19-2006 | 09:16 AM
Driver/Detailer

Marcus
The OBD2 and aftermarket cat rulling applies to CA only I think, according to Random.

I think the general ruling is that you can only replace the cat if the original was damaged or worn (over 50,000miles).
Old 01-19-2006 | 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

A sledge hammer can make putting the RT cat on "legal". Just need to think outside the box.
Old 01-19-2006 | 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

I thought the rock has already qualified it to be legal for the next replacement.
Old 01-19-2006 | 01:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by moda_way
A sledge hammer can make putting the RT cat on "legal". Just need to think outside the box.

Haha, why would you sledge the good stock cat? Just to get a new one. Yeah, 'I am going to destroy a $700 cat so I can install a $300 one.
Old 01-19-2006 | 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor

I thought the rock has already qualified it to be legal for the next replacement.

I was referring to the need for replacing the original equipment cat. They might wonder why you put the Random one on if the OEM cat was good..and I don't think 'more horsepower' is a legal reason. It may be ok to install a Random cat on if the original one was worn, in certain states. But I think it is federal law that you cannot remove an operating cat. State or regional laws may not require a cat for emissions testing, but you still are not supposed to take it off. Even if you are replacing it with another one.

Just some food for thought.
Old 01-19-2006 | 01:14 PM

Haha, why would you sledge the good stock cat? Just to get a new one. Yeah, 'I am going to destroy a $700 cat so I can install a $300 one.
the factory cat is 700?
Old 01-19-2006 | 01:15 PM

I was referring to the need for replacing the original equipment cat. They might wonder why you put the Random one on if the OEM cat was good..and I don't think 'more horsepower' is a legal reason. It may be ok to install a Random cat on if the original one was worn, in certain states. But I think it is federal law that you cannot remove an operating cat. State or regional laws may not require a cat for emissions testing, but you still are not supposed to take it off. Even if you are replacing it with another one.

Just some food for thought.
is this the case in every state?
Old 01-19-2006 | 03:25 PM
ABP TSX

You guys are great. I have considered dropping the rock off the roof of my house onto the OEM cat and then taking pictures.

Yep, the stock cat = $625.14 from Sunnyside.

BTW
The construction company responded today and are faxing me a claim sheet. I wonder how involved this is going to be. I have already ordered a $500 Cusco Type II Bar from Marcus as a replacement. I wonder if this claim can net me a Comptech SC?

Old 01-19-2006 | 03:28 PM

You guys are great. I have considered dropping the rock off the roof of my house onto the OEM cat and then taking pictures.

BTW
The construction company responded today and are faxing me a claim sheet. I wonder how involved this is going to be. I have already ordered a $500 Cusco Type II Bar from Marcus as a replacement. I wonder if this claim can net me a Comptech SC?

the bar is 500. how much you charging for the cat. $1350
Old 01-19-2006 | 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

BTW

That's what I'm talking about!!!
Old 01-19-2006 | 06:48 PM
Former Sponsor

BTW

Karma is a mofo man.....more food for thought...

PM me if you are interested in one of these bars for yourself
Old 01-21-2006 | 10:46 AM

any update on your replacements
Old 01-21-2006 | 10:50 AM
Driver/Detailer

Tell them your original cat was damaged because your engine burnt oil and choked the cat.
Old 01-21-2006 | 11:05 AM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
any update on your replacements
I faxed over the paperwork yesterday. They said it takes 2-3 days to process. Then I think a problem will arise becuase they will probably want an estimate. The dealership will laugh and I doubt they will accept something from a tuner shop. I do have receipts from all of the parts though via PayPal. I guess I should think positive and not expect a problem from a construction company.

Old 01-21-2006 | 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

I faxed over the paperwork yesterday. They said it takes 2-3 days to process. Then I think a problem will arise becuase they will probably want an estimate. The dealership will laugh and I doubt they will accept something from a tuner shop. I do have receipts from all of the parts though via PayPal. I guess I should think positive and not expect a problem from a construction company.

Printouts of your paypal receipts will be fine.

Quick Reply: Random Technology Cat / Cusco Type II Road Damage