Problem with the cluster of the gasolin gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Problem with the cluster of the gasolin gauge

Hi guys,

I just wonder how many of you guys have this issue?!?! I found the buzzing noise back in half a year ago and it always goes on only when I turn the keys at the ignition and at first I always through it has something to do with the ignition. Until I took my TSX to the dealer and they found out the cluster underneth of the gasolin gauge making such noise while the needle of gauge actives, and needs to be replaced. At first, I thought it will be a replacement of the component only. When the job is done today, I found they replaced the entire panel.

The consequence is the odometer is now back into square one. To help to count the actual milage, I need to count whatever shows on the new odometer, plus the original milage that was taken on to a sticker to the door trim. I asked whether it is possible for them to adjust the new odometer back into the milage that my TSX supposes to have, but they said there is no way to do so. My point is, it is understandable to not allowing people to mod it backward. What make it as a bit deal to let ppl to change reading into a higher one?!?! It is gonna be a problem to me, some what, to keep track of the maintanence schedule.... pain in the butt..... I regret for getting it replaced now, which leaving me no way to turn around..... sigh
Old 01-22-2007, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Look at the bright side. Depending on your mileage before they swapped it out, you theoretically increased the value of your car as it now has "low mileage."
Old 01-23-2007, 01:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats wrong with using a calculator. Sheesh!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:22 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by etarui
Look at the bright side. Depending on your mileage before they swapped it out, you theoretically increased the value of your car as it now has "low mileage."

Nope..... everything is in record.... According to my knowledge this change has to be reported to the Ministry of Transpotation to ensure the owner will not be mis-lead the history of the vechile while reselling, accordingly to Canadian law... I hope I am wrong indeed.... Please correct me if so. I wish that is just the case and I can resale my car for a better value.

About the calculation.... nothing wrong with using the calculator but it is simply just inconvenience.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call your insurance company and find out about the consequences of what they did, at least in the US, your dealer just destroyed your car. Its called "not actual mileage", it goes on the vehicle's title, and it DESTROYS the resell value of a car. I would be furious if the dealer pulled this one on me.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

u mean the buzzing sound when u put ignition from 1-2? thats normal. i think its the fuel pump. my 88 civic does that too. after a few seconds on 2nd position it goes away.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ck123
u mean the buzzing sound when u put ignition from 1-2? thats normal. i think its the fuel pump. my 88 civic does that too. after a few seconds on 2nd position it goes away.
I know what you meant.... .it is not the fuel pump. It actually from the movement from the needle of the fuel guage. It is kindda like a clicking noise when the needles moving up and down.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm... interesting...

i guess this answers the debate that we had once about whether the odometer readings were stored in the cluster or in the ECU...

you would think though that being all electronic they could have upgraded the new cluster to with the original miles and then had it count up from there...
Old 01-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tumby
I know what you meant.... .it is not the fuel pump. It actually from the movement from the needle of the fuel guage. It is kindda like a clicking noise when the needles moving up and down.
for me its not clicking......just buzzing

i assume it the fuel pump because sometimes when people help each other troubleshoot they ask is your fuel pump priming when you turn your ignition from 1-2..so thats why i think its the fuel pump

in your case you say its clicking so i guess its just a minor defect on the fuel guage
Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I thought when a replacement of the cluster was made that they transferred the data from the old to the new. I was reading the service bulletins a couple weeks back and there was a procedure outlined on how to transfer the data. It was my interpretation upon reading that it included the odometer reading. The link to the bulletin is below (opens adobe pdf file). It's the very first write-up on page 1.

What do you guys think??

November 2006
Old 03-23-2008, 05:15 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Has anyone else experienced this issue? My fuel gauge has started making the same noise as described in the original post. It basically makes a clicking noise as it goes from E to F (or whatever amount of gas is in your car) whenever I start the car. Then when I turn the car off, it clicks as it lowers back down from to E. If it's just a noise, I can live with it, but I wonder if it means that my fuel gauge is about to go out. Any thoughts?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:53 PM
NBP/EBONY/6MT

Anybody? Is this something that I should have the dealer fix under warranty?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Racer

AS long as your tsx is still under warranty, they shall replace the cluster for free... but be expect it is not just the part for the fuel gauge, but for the entire assembly and your odometer's reading will start from 0 as there is no way they can re-program the reading back to your original one. Also, there will be a sticker to be put at the door trimp to dated the date of replacement and the odometer reading at the time of replacement. I hope this help!

Cheers,

T