problem: clicking on steering wheel while turning...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 09:28 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
problem: clicking on steering wheel while turning...

hi,

so i just noticed something yesterday and wanted to see if anyone else had similar issues.

while i make a turn, there seems to be a "clicking" sound as if the turn signal is clicking back into default position before i'm finished w/ my turn. on a right turn, it'll "click" 2 times and on a left turn, it'll "click" 1 time. i guess its safe to say it "clicks" for every 90 degree turn of the steering wheel.

this only seems to happen if i have my turn signal on left or right. i'm pretty sure this didn't happen before (have had my car for 10 months now), but can anyone verify that it doesn't "click?" anyone have any suggestions how i can make it go away? thanks...
Old 03-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Racer

anyone?
Old 03-26-2004, 09:55 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Moved to Car Problems and Fixes since it does'nt seem to be normal.

Hav'nt experienced this problem or even heard of it happening to others.

Anyone else?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Instructor

I had a similar problem in my 03 TL-S. It was a terring wheel pulley.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Advanced

ebcheon, i am noticing this same thing in my TSX. i seem to remember there being a subtle series of clicks earlier in my car's life, but it is much louder now. i took it to the dealer and drove a manager around the block so he could verify the problem. he heard the clicking, but said he wasn't sure it was out of spec. we went back to the dealership and took out a test drive TSX to compare. that TSX was much quieter in regards to the clicks. the manager agreed that my car should be fixed.

however, when i came to pick up the car, i was told that the problem could not be reproduced. (could've sworn i reproduced it for them, hmmm...) anyway, the clicking was not resolved, so i am going to live with it until i bring it in for scheduled maintenance.

well, that's my experience with the clicking. did you resolve the problem, ebcheon? anyone else encountered this???
Old 08-11-2004, 08:53 AM
Advanced

anyone else have loud turn signal clicking on his/her TSX?
Old 08-11-2004, 09:00 AM
04 remembrance

Doesn't it make a clicking sound once the steering wheel has turned enough to reset the signal lights?
Old 08-11-2004, 09:34 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this problem, and took the car in. They replaced some pulley but I think I can still hear it. Its definately more quiet now.

On a similar note, I can still hear something rattling inside my steering wheel. I hear it over certain bumps and if I bog the car in first. Its like a buzzing sound. To check it they will have to pull apart the air bag, and I'm not sure I want them to do this.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Hmmm....I'll have to listen for this on my way home tonight...
Old 08-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Advanced

this is the sound that indicates when the wheel has turned enough to disengage the turn signal... it happens 3 times when rotating the wheel fully to the left or right. i don't mind a subtle click, but volume has increased atleast 4 times over since getting my car.

looks like it's definitely a pully problem... i'll ask the dealer about that. thanks.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:23 AM
9th Gear

I have had my TSX a month and a half and have had this clicking noise the past month as well. I have taken it in four times and am now on my third loaner car. It is still in the shop and they keep making fixes that are not working. At first they reffered me to Acura tech support because they said there was nothing more they could do. I refused to take that for an answer so my dealer is working with tech support to fix this problem It is really frustrating. They first replaced the middle console, then they put more insulation and glue, then they replaced the entire middle console and now they say they are switching parts from a rental that does not have the noise. If it is ever fixed i'll def let you know how it get resolved! good luck :o)
Old 08-27-2004, 10:28 AM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cloredo
I have had my TSX a month and a half and have had this clicking noise the past month as well. I have taken it in four times and am now on my third loaner car. It is still in the shop and they keep making fixes that are not working. At first they reffered me to Acura tech support because they said there was nothing more they could do. I refused to take that for an answer so my dealer is working with tech support to fix this problem It is really frustrating. They first replaced the middle console, then they put more insulation and glue, then they replaced the entire middle console and now they say they are switching parts from a rental that does not have the noise. If it is ever fixed i'll def let you know how it get resolved! good luck :o)

Your poor car See I'm not sure I want to put my car through this ... Id rather live with the noise.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
after reading this.. i'm not getti where the click is coming from. Is the click coming form the ouside of the car or inside?

If you hear the click coming from outside of the car while turning, then you might want dealer to check the axle. The axle bearing is either dmg or not enough grease for it to spin, or the rubber boot is dmg to where it's releaseing all the grease. Mainly the section where the axle connecs to the hub assembly. If your rim looks like it was blasted with black goo, then mostlikely it's your axle that is making the clicking noise.

Note: your car must be in motion. Apparently, you and the manager noitce the click while you guys were driving and turning at the same time .. that's an axle problem mostlikely. Dealer probably coudlnt noitce it bc they probably didnt test drive it, they probably just sat in the car and turn the steering wheel.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Intermediate

have it in my tsx too

I have been having it in my tsx too and too annoying. My dealer told me it is just the turn signal disengaging. But so loudly and that too recently. irritating.

guys inform us if this prob is fixed anyway.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Advanced

i have yet to take my TSX in about this, so i can't answer any questions about how the dealer dealt with this.

the problem occurs whether or not the car is in motion. i can feel the clicking throught the steering wheel, so i assume the cause is fairly local to that area. sounds like the issue is a pulley.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

got the clicking sound fixed. The dealer changed the turn signal switch and now there is absolutely no clicking sound. what about the others.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:38 PM
04 remembrance

Whoa, now my cars infected with the clicks. Everytime I make a hard-moderate turn, or when I turn the car at a sharp angle, it makes a clicking noise each tmie the steering wheel turns back to its default place!

Now I have three reasons to bring my TSX to the dealerships..

Should I mention the pulleys? Or would the dealers know by the sound description?
Old 09-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Cruisin'

metallic rattle in steering wheel...any takers??

Originally Posted by fdl
I have this problem, and took the car in. They replaced some pulley but I think I can still hear it. Its definately more quiet now.

On a similar note, I can still hear something rattling inside my steering wheelundefined. I hear it over certain bumps and if I bog the car in first. Its like a buzzing sound. To check it they will have to pull apart the air bag, and I'm not sure I want them to do this.

yep, I also can hear this annoying rattle in my steering wheel or somewhere around the cockpit area. It's definitely metal on metal, I wonder if someone else has already posted stuff on this.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:47 PM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump, blast from the past.

My car just started to have this problem today. When I have the indicator on and I turn the wheel, I get 2 clicks per quarter turn. So for a full turn it goes CLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICKCLICK. It's loud and has not happened before. Today is the first day. Going to have to bring it back to the stealer.