Power Steering Fluid and Coolant questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power Steering Fluid and Coolant questions.

Hi guys,

At what mileage are you all currently changing your power steering fluid? I noticed mine a tad low, so I topped it off to the upper level line. I did use Honda Genuine PS. It doesn't hurt to top off old PS fluid with new PS fluid, does it?

Also, at my last oil change, I had the dealer top off my coolant reservoir tank - a week ago. It was filled to the max line, and now today when the engine is cold, I noticed that it isn't still up at the max line - it's about 2 inches below it. Am I losing coolant, or is this normal? I currently have 51k miles on my 07 TSX.

Thanks much guys!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:44 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Max line is that...you're still above the Min line, so you may have dumped a little out. I wouldn't worry unless you are consistently below the Min line and falling.

I figure PS fluid every 60k or 4 years...but people will say 30k-90k and 2-6 years. All i do is get several containers of fluid and a turkey baster. Suck out all I can...top up...drive around the block, working the steering all the way, both ways...stop and suck/top...repeat. After about 2 or three goes the fluid becomes close to clear and I call it a day. Even assuming only a 40% change this way, three repeats and you've got only about 22% old PS fluid left.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted this in a thread a few years ago:
I can provide a conclusive report re. how the coolant level in the reservoir (overflow tank) changes as the engine warms up and cools down.
I had my ’04’s coolant changed at the dealership (along with the MT fluid and brake fluid) late last year. I’m one of those people who checks things under the hood every week or two, and, before the coolant was changed, the level in the reservoir was essentially constant from check to check, with the engine cold. The coolant was probably about 2 inches below the MAX line week after week, month after month.
A couple of days after the fluid changes were done, I opened the hood to check the fluid levels and was shocked to find that the coolant reservoir was empty. Needless to say, I returned to the dealership ASAP. They added coolant to the MAX line and sent me on my way.
Twenty-four hours later the coolant level was below the MIN line. Back to the dealer. This time they declared that there must be some air in the system. After about a one-hour wait, I was assured that the air problem had been taken care of. As I recall, I had to go back one more time just to have the coolant topped off, but since then, no problems, and constancy has returned.
When the engine is warm, the coolant level is right on the MAX line. When it’s cold, the level is about half an inch below the MAX line. (Maybe it’s three-quarters of an inch, but absolutely no more than that; I’m trying to avoid going outside to take a precise measurement.) Bottom line: From my experience, the notion that the coolant level moves way up and down as the engine heats up and cools down is incorrect.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:37 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
have all service on my tsx done by a acura dealer. They changed the coolant at 110,000 miles. They also changed the spark plugs, brake and MT fluid. did not change the ps fluid
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
in the 24th and a half...

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Yea, nj...they treat PS fluid as a lifetime fill, but it is hygroscopic (absorbs water) like brake fluid.