plastic part in shifter making noises when start/stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
plastic part in shifter making noises when start/stop

So forgive me if these pictures aren't very good, but I have to disassemble the entire center console to get at this part. My problem is lately I started noticing that I was hearing this "click" noise coming from my AT shifter area whenever I started from a stop or decelerated to a stop. The click was very quiet and only happens when I first press the gas or reach 1-2mph before coming to a complete stop. I finally got access to my shifter and saw that the noise was coming from a small horizontal plastic bar that had a spring around it. The bar engages and disengages when I first hit the gas and am about to stop while applying the breaks. What exactly does this part do? It seems to either be loose or rubbing against something. I put some shin etsu grease on it, and I tried pulling on the plastic sheath over the part to see if I could make the noise go away (circled in red). The grease helped for a few months, but the noise is back. Is this part replaceable? And what is it? I know it shouldn't be making any noise, but it seems it definitely should be engaging and disengaging at start/stop. But for some reason it's making a click noise as it locks into place and back out again. I'd appreciate some help fixing this. Hopefully, I can add better pictures, but the part I'm referring to is inside the red circled area in the pictures. So I don't have a direct shot unfortunately.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM
Pro

So it turns out this is the shift interlock solenoid that prevents the car from shifting into other gears without your foot depressed on the brake. Apparently, they typically do make a click noise, but mine has definitely gotten louder and more annoying. Has anyone had this issue or have any recommendations for a quick fix without replacement? It's a $90 part that would be a b*tch to replace.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
So it turns out this is the shift interlock solenoid that prevents the car from shifting into other gears without your foot depressed on the brake. Apparently, they typically do make a click noise, but mine has definitely gotten louder and more annoying. Has anyone had this issue or have any recommendations for a quick fix without replacement? It's a $90 part that would be a b*tch to replace.
If you replace it, the problem will be back in 10 to 15 thousand miles. There was a guy who overcame this problem on the boards. He put a piece of felt where the parts come into contact.

Should should also be hearing same exact noise if your transmission is in park and you tap on the brakes repeatedly.

Check out this tread

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-problems-fixes-128/2005-tsx-automatic-transmission-noise-671861/

Look at a post by forum member by name of Abqtsx.

Please take more pictures and post them when you try to fix it. I have this noise too and would like to fix it. Thanks and best of luck.

Last edited by Miamicarfan; 02-20-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Miamicarfan
If you replace it, the problem will be back in 10 to 15 thousand miles. There was a guy who overcame this problem on the boards. He put a piece of felt where the parts come into contact.

Should should also be hearing same exact noise if your transmission is in park and you tap on the brakes repeatedly.

Check out this tread

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671861

Look at a post by forum member by name of Abqtsx.

Please take more pictures and post them when you try to fix it. I have this noise too and would like to fix it. Thanks and best of luck.
Awesome find Miamicarfan! Thanks so much. It's hard to get to the part because of the plastic shroud covering it. I'll do my best to post pictures if I can get it fixed this time. I lubed it last time, but like you said, it comes back again. And you're absolutely right, I realized it was back by pushing on the brake pedal while in park
Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jottle
Awesome find Miamicarfan! Thanks so much. It's hard to get to the part because of the plastic shroud covering it. I'll do my best to post pictures if I can get it fixed this time. I lubed it last time, but like you said, it comes back again. And you're absolutely right, I realized it was back by pushing on the brake pedal while in park
It looks you you may be able to put glue or epoxy at the end of soft cloth or felt material and lower it in with long pliers, hold it in, and wait for glue to dry.

I would love to see video clip of what this plastic thing does when it is making this noise.