Paint Blemishes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 09:23 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Blemishes

Hello all.

Received my Black TSX last Monday & saw blemishes on the top of the right rear quarter panel. The dealer said he would buff them out no problem. We got it in the shop & the roof, trunk, and both rear quarters have spots that look like popped bubbles in the clear coat. The dealer is keeping the car (and giving me a new TSX loaner) to show to Honda Corporate people tomorrow & will get this fixed by the end of the week.

I am really bummed that now I have owned the car for 8 days & it's been in the dealer for 5 of them. Anyone else have paint problems?

Thanks!

Jesse
Old 09-02-2003, 09:38 AM
Jersey ---> Maryland

it may have gotten damage during shipping and repaired at the port. was ur delivery date delayed at all?
Old 09-02-2003, 12:53 PM
10th Gear

No delay. In fact, I had to ask the dealer to keep the car there 2 weeks while I was away on vacation.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Racer

my black tsx has the same problems. actually it occurs in about 3 places. however, the dealer i bought it from is 60 miles away, so i didn't ask them to fix it.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:41 PM
VTECSTASY!

mines black and i have the same problem. Hmmm... is this only happening to black TSXs???
Old 09-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Racer

My CG came with a few paint imperfections too. One little patch of what looks like small popped bubbles, and one circular patch (maybe 1/4 inch diameter) that's kinda like a rash. Both problems are on the hood, and probably too minor for anyone to notice but me, so I didn't say anything. Maybe I should have
Old 09-03-2003, 09:13 AM
10th Gear

Hopefully I will get the call today about the status. I will let all of you know the outcome.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Banned

I got a CG that the paint on the inner part of the door was still soft........wonder why.....i got the car end of August and the car was manufactured July
Old 09-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Instructor

My black TSX has a very tiny spot of primer showing on the driver's side quarter panel and a speck of orange(!) paint on the chrome portion of the grill. I've been wondering if it would do more harm than good to report them to the dealer. Each defect is much less than one milimeter. I only noticed them the second time I waxed the car.

After reading Consumer Reports for more than a decade, it seems that paint problems are the most common "sample defects" noted by their testers.
Old 09-05-2003, 09:10 AM
10th Gear

OK. Got the call from the dealer yesterday.

Apparently, several cars from the same shipment were damaged like mine. They cannot determine if it was from the Japan factory, the boat to USA, or the train to get it to Newark.

They believe the "protective coating" may have done someting to the paint. They are gonna re-clear coat it, buff & wax & all & hopefully I get it back by Wed. I will have owned the car 16 days, and it has been in the dealer 13 of them. That is a little aggravating. The dealer is doing a great job of taking care of me, but I am a bit dissapointed at Acura for letting this get out.

I will let you know of any outcome.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:39 PM
10th Gear

Hello all.

Outcome has not been so good. I received the car back "fixed".

What I got was hazy quarter panels & a hood with very obvious swirl marks, so much so that a basic garage door opener light shows them off well.

I complained to my dealer (who treated me very good by the way), who in turn got in touch with Honda corporate.

Making a long story short, I am getting a new car. Everyone is in agreement. They offered me incentives to keep the car but I am just not comfortable with it.

Their reason for the blemishes? Hydraulic fluid from the lifts got on the paint pre-protective coating & ate away at the paint. The actual paint & primer had to be "neutralized"
Old 09-30-2003, 10:58 PM
10th Gear

Anyone else having paint problems with their black TSX? Mine has been back to the dealership twice... they just keep buffing it and claiming it is fixed. I can't tell unless the sun hits it right but when it does the blemishes are very obvious.... looks like swirl marks very deep... underneath the clearcoat maybe? I am starting to wonder if it really can be fixed.

Other than this problem... I LOVE my car!

Sarah
Nighthawk Black Pearl/Ebony/6 speed manual
Old 09-30-2003, 11:03 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have what I call a "shimmer" effect. It is in many places around the car. I can't describe it other than to say it looks like a 3-D shimmer within the paint. The outside is perfectly smooth. It is only noticeable in direct sunlight. At the Chicago TSX meet, I noticed other dark cars with the same problem.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:30 PM
10th Gear

Thanks, Jason. So you think I should just live with it? It really isn't noticeable unless in direct sunlight but still bothers me... kinda feel like a brand new car should be flawless.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:38 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by sarahmorgan
Thanks, Jason. So you think I should just live with it? It really isn't noticeable unless in direct sunlight but still bothers me... kinda feel like a brand new car should be flawless.
I'm going to point it out to my dealer at my first service and see what they say. Other than that, I refuse to let a minor issue take away from what is otherwise the best car I've ever owned. Just my $0.02.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:09 AM
Still here

Originally posted by Jason
I have what I call a "shimmer" effect. It is in many places around the car. I can't describe it other than to say it looks like a 3-D shimmer within the paint. The outside is perfectly smooth. It is only noticeable in direct sunlight. At the Chicago TSX meet, I noticed other dark cars with the same problem.
Are you refering to 'Orange Peel'? Alot of cars have this from the factory, not just Honda/Acura. From friends I have that do body work, Orange Peel takes a fair amount of hand labor to get rid of (read: lots of sanding).

As far as the people with swirl marks and the dealer buffing them out... go to, or have them send, your car to a professional detail place. A buffer can make your car look great, or completely ruin it, and its all dependant of the skill of the user.

Kinda related to this, I had white road paint on my black Accord that got baked on in the summer heat. To remove it, the hood had to be wet sanded down. The car was buffed in the shade and looked great when I drove home. But once the car was in the sun you would see all of the swirl marks. I took the car to Ziebart to have the paint detailed, they got them out and it looked better than when it came off the dealers floor.

And dont think all of these problems are related to black paint, all cars have this, its just easier to see on a black/dark car. Oh well, the price we pay to look good
Old 10-01-2003, 12:12 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by e_lectro
Are you refering to 'Orange Peel'? Alot of cars have this from the factory, not just Honda/Acura. From friends I have that do body work, Orange Peel takes a fair amount of hand labor to get rid of (read: lots of sanding).
I don't think it is "orange peel." The surface is smooth but you can see the "shimmer" within the paint. What is Ziebart?
Old 10-01-2003, 01:39 AM
Still here

Orange peel is almost always in the color portion of the paint, not the clear. So the top would be smooth. I know that both my TSX and RSX have some.

Ziebart is an all around car place; tint, bed linings, trailer hitches, detailing, etc.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by e_lectro
Orange peel is almost always in the color portion of the paint, not the clear. So the top would be smooth. I know that both my TSX and RSX have some.

Ziebart is an all around car place; tint, bed linings, trailer hitches, detailing, etc.
OK Thanks, but if it is orange peel shouldn't Acura be responsible in fixing it?
Old 10-01-2003, 05:29 PM
STC
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by JessterTSX
Making a long story short, I am getting a new car. Everyone is in agreement. They offered me incentives to keep the car but I am just not comfortable with it.

Their reason for the blemishes? Hydraulic fluid from the lifts got on the paint pre-protective coating & ate away at the paint. The actual paint & primer had to be "neutralized"
Congrats for getting a new car, but SOL to the guy that they sell your old TSX too. I bet they'll sell it as used, but say "the owner bought it and didnt like it after the purchase" or something like that.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Instructor

I've been wondering about the orange peel too. I noticed it at the dealership when I was picking up my CG a week ago, and they told me it was supposed to be like that, the all the cars were. Both at the dealership and around town, every dark colored (CG and NB mostly) acura and honda I've seen seems to have it. I'm wondering if what I'm referring to isn't orange peel, the paint doesn't look totally flat (though it feels it), someone on this thread called in "shimmer", that might be a good description, being it's on every car and seems to be the same across the car (doors, roof, hood, etc). Does anybody know if the paint is supposed to be like this, or if it should really look totally flat?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Mine is black and had the same problem on the front bumber. Very small bubbling. Dealer had front end repainted. Looks great. Definatley an issue here with black cars!
Old 10-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

I have the CB with the shimmmer or orange peel effect. Again only in certain lighting. Assummed it was normal but looking for continued comfort here in this forum to assure myself that it is normal.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

JessterTSX, i have the same problem as you. BUt unfortunately for me, i was told that overspray from buildings ate up the paint. I have the same problem on the roof, rear quarter panels and hood. What should i do?
Old 01-20-2007, 12:58 PM
3rd Gear

YES! I am not getting any help from the corporate guy though. It's been 2 years since i bought the car and the paint looks awful. when did you buy yours? at least you noticed it early on, i have a lawyer i'm working through acura with b/c i can't talk to those guys anymore. they told me it's environmental damage even though i brought it to several paint shops who said it's defective paint. do you have pics of your issue you could send?
Old 01-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Instructor

the paint on my black tsx is sooo shitty...belemishes and chips EVERYWHERE. My old '93 prelude has original factory paint and still looks better than the paint on my TSX by far.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Cruisin'

I starting noticing the spots around 10 months after i purchased the TSX. It's a shame to buy a brand new car and worry about the paint popping like that. All you NHB TSX owners who have the same problem, we should all get together and sue Acura. Some how...some way...maybe they would replace out tsx with a NSX? hahaha...that would be awesome.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Cruisin'

Does anyone have pictures of this " paint pop"?