OK to use battery charger-maintainer on '04 TSX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 11:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK to use battery charger-maintainer on '04 TSX?

Was gifted a "smart" charger/maintainer recently, and think I might like to charge the battery on a 2004 TSX Navi/Auto before winter kicks in fully. (Lots of short start/stop hops, hardly any long highway trips - voltage isn't as high as it could be.)

So … can I just hook it up under the hood (as per charger instructions)? Do I have to worry about setting off the anti-theft horn-blasting? (BTW does messing with the battery (with or without the key kept in the ignition) in general involve anti-theft?)

Has anyone used a smart charger on a first-gen TSX? The Acura manual says don't charge in situ - but I think 2004 was before chargers got smart:

"Charging the battery with the cables connected can seriously damage your car’s electronic controls. Detach the battery cables before connecting the battery to a charger."

Believe the max is listed as 14.4 volts/13.5V float for this Noco model.

Thanks for any insights.

Last edited by JamP; 10-28-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by JamP
Was gifted a "smart" charger/maintainer recently, and think I might like to charge the battery on a 2004 TSX Navi/Auto before winter kicks in fully. (Lots of short start/stop hops, hardly any long highway trips - voltage isn't as high as it could be.)

So … can I just hook it up under the hood (as per charger instructions)? Do I have to worry about setting off the anti-theft horn-blasting? (BTW does messing with the battery (with or without the key kept in the ignition) in general involve anti-theft?)

Has anyone used a smart charger on a first-gen TSX? The Acura manual says don't charge in situ - but I think 2004 was before chargers got smart:

"Charging the battery with the cables connected can seriously damage your car’s electronic controls. Detach the battery cables before connecting the battery to a charger."

Believe the max is listed as 14.4 volts/13.5V float for this Noco model.

Thanks for any insights.
Not quite sure what you're trying to accomplish. Unless you don't use the car for very long periods (a few months+), you shouldn't need to worry about the battery (in NJ anyway). As long as it's OK to begin with (and your 04 should be well into its 3rd battery by now), even the little driving you do will keep the battery charged. Remember, the car only uses it to start it. Once running, the alternator takes over; you could literally take the battery right out.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:19 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for commenting.

Accomplish?

Well, first, maybe, to scratch the itch to try a new toy . . . and maybe delay the expense of a new battery.

The battery is over three years old, and at least for the for the last several months never seems to measure more than 12.0-12.2 V. That said - the car has never failed to start.

It was rarely used at all last winter (often sitting at single digit temps encased in high piles of snow for weeks at a time), and since has been used mostly for local trips each with multiple stops. Assuming the battery is still good, just get the impression that the charge can't ever catch up after the last winter plus the cumulative drain of all those ignition starts.

And second, was really curious if anyone has used a smart charger/maintainer on a 1st-Gen TSX and if the manual's warning against charging with the battery still in the car is obsolete (or that Acura '04 electronics were really poorly protected - and it's not an outdated advisory.)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:45 PM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts
I use a battery tender/trickler all the time and don't have issues. 2 of my cars are hooked up right now. There's an inline fuse usually for protection. I just wouldnt start the car with it connected.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:14 AM
10th Gear

Appreciate the comment.
Leaning towards trying it. Thinking direct electricity must be cheaper than fuel to drive a few hundred highway miles.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I live in a place that gets a helluva lot colder than NJ (we're talking -35 or -40* CELCIUS!). The only time I've ever had a problem starting the car is when the oil was thick like molasses. A very cold start on a 3 year old battery takes some juice (and no you can't accurately measure by voltage - you need to measure CCA's with a special instrument). But, driving around for even 15 minutes one-way will easily charge that battery back up.
I wouldn't bother with a battery charger/maintainer unless I was storing the car for the winter, in which case I'd remove the battery, store it indoors (not on concrete) and have it on a trickle charger.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:38 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for the real (cold) life report.
Old 10-30-2015, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
If anything, you just need a new battery.

The trickle charger is meant for when your car sits for months without use. Even with short drives, if your battery is ok, it will remain charged.

If anything, a good investment is a battery warmer. It's like an electric blanket that surrounds the battery and keeps it warm (when plugged in). That will ensure you get the most cranking amps out of the battery when it is super cold out.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:01 AM
10th Gear

Interesting, thanks.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:20 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,538 Likes on 1,197 Posts
I use a maintainer/trickle charger for the Kid's TSX with aftermarket alarm/remote start. He is usually just back/forth to high school 6 miles down the road. Almost not enough time for the car to warm up. The aftermarket Viper alarm also draws some juice during the week (and the phantom driver map light problem that randomly comes on in the middle of the night). I have him top off the battery on the weekends or every other weekend. The battery usually hovers around 45%-60% by the time the weekend rolls around. It only failed to start one time; but, that was the reason why I got the charger. The longest I left the TSX on the charger was about 18 days when we were on vacation. I like the maintainers with the volts and % readings. I don't think you would need to leave it on 24/7; maybe just 1-2 times a month for a few hours to top it off. Maybe more if you have more aftermarket stuff like a dash cam, lo-jack type devices, or aftermarket alarm

Last edited by mrgold35; 11-02-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:24 AM
10th Gear

Now that's a birthday present! Great to know that the newer chargers are safe in real life. Thanks.