Oil Consumption and My TSX

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Received 108 Likes on 84 Posts
Oil Consumption and My TSX

Here's my story:

I bought a Certified Navi TSX 6mt in June, and absolutely love it, except one thing> I keep having an oil comsumption problem. I average an oil change once every 5-6 weeks, and I noticed on my first 2 changes that the oil light would come on close to 3750, when I change the oil. I take it to Acura and let them know about it, but they simply changed the oil and said they couldnt spot anything external with it, so they would change the oil and send me on my way.

The next time the oil light came on, I was about 1250 miles away from my next oil change, and I immediately went to Acura and let them know about it, and showed them the light (as they requested). They tore apart the engine and found the piston rings werent moving like they were supposed to, and that was causing the engine to burn oil.

They replaces the rings (all four) and again sent me on my way. However today, I'm about 1.7k away from my oil change AND THE OIL LIGHT COMES ON AGAIN!!! I dont know what it could be now, but I'm kinda tired of having to drive 30 miles to the dealer to deal with the issue. Does anyone know what the prob could be?

I do drive pretty enthusiastically, but not shifting every redline (shift about 3-4k most of the time, some runs to 6k, not engaging VTEC). I searched and saw some people drive a little more harder than me and experienced oil loss, but i dont thing its on my level....
Old 10-10-2007, 05:06 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
what year is your tsx. i have an 06 that used oil when i first had it. i had to put a quart in before it had 4,000 miles on it. it has not used oil since then. the oil life is at 15% now and it has gone a little over 5,000 miles since the last oil change. I also have 6speed that is never redlined.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do a search on oil consumption by curls. It will scare you but also be very enlightening.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by moda_way
Do a search on oil consumption by curls. It will scare you but also be very enlightening.
BOO! Mwa ha ha ha!

Yeah read my story (sorry I'm too lazy this morning to search for it, but you'll find it pretty quick). I'm happy to report that not one problem has come up with the oil consumption since the resolution of my problem.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by curls
BOO! Mwa ha ha ha!

Yeah read my story (sorry I'm too lazy this morning to search for it, but you'll find it pretty quick). I'm happy to report that not one problem has come up with the oil consumption since the resolution of my problem.
So secretive.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by coolcarguy
Here's my story:

I bought a Certified Navi TSX 6mt in June, and absolutely love it, except one thing> I keep having an oil comsumption problem. I average an oil change once every 5-6 weeks, and I noticed on my first 2 changes that the oil light would come on close to 3750, when I change the oil. I take it to Acura and let them know about it, but they simply changed the oil and said they couldnt spot anything external with it, so they would change the oil and send me on my way.

The next time the oil light came on, I was about 1250 miles away from my next oil change, and I immediately went to Acura and let them know about it, and showed them the light (as they requested). They tore apart the engine and found the piston rings werent moving like they were supposed to, and that was causing the engine to burn oil.

They replaces the rings (all four) and again sent me on my way. However today, I'm about 1.7k away from my oil change AND THE OIL LIGHT COMES ON AGAIN!!! I dont know what it could be now, but I'm kinda tired of having to drive 30 miles to the dealer to deal with the issue. Does anyone know what the prob could be?

I do drive pretty enthusiastically, but not shifting every redline (shift about 3-4k most of the time, some runs to 6k, not engaging VTEC). I searched and saw some people drive a little more harder than me and experienced oil loss, but i dont thing its on my level....
Shouldn't make any difference how you drive; you've definitely got an engine problem. I've got 60K miles on mine and it doesn't and never did use a drop of oil between 5K mile oil changes. I'm a little confused about the oil light thing. Have you ever actually checked the oil (with the dipstick)?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

I did the search and read your thread curls. I do check the oil and plan to check it in the morning as well...The car is an 04 with 74k miles on it. I also left the car running so that the dealer would see the OIL light on, and they checked it as well before tearing it up the first time.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:28 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

Just for an update, I took the car back to the dealer, and they are tearing down the engine again. They did leave me a msg telling me something about the circumference of the cylinders were wayyyy off...anyone heard of that problem, and does it sound like a new engine going into the TSX? (Since they said an Adjuster was coming out to look at the engine)
Old 10-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that is strange, I certainly never heard of anything like that, especially with newer cars, and especially from an Acura! I drive conservatively and only had to add 1/2 qt oil after 800 or so miles. Zero oil consumption after that point.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:03 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by coolcarguy
Just for an update, I took the car back to the dealer, and they are tearing down the engine again. They did leave me a msg telling me something about the circumference of the cylinders were wayyyy off...anyone heard of that problem, and does it sound like a new engine going into the TSX? (Since they said an Adjuster was coming out to look at the engine)
If you don't mind answering this, what are the last 5 digits of your VIN#, and what year is your TSX?

My speculation and somewhat confirmed with speculation from two operations managers I know (above the service manager) is that the cylinder bore was messed up on some early-run TSX's and no matter what they did to fix it (new rings, etc...), you cannot fix an out of spec cylinder wall unless you just replace the bottom end. That's what they did with me after the rebuild didn't do anything at all to help.

I'd definitely bring it up with them -- the fact you know a few people that have early VIN#'s that have had the EXACT problem you have, and a rebuild did NOTHING for them either, but engine bottom end (short block) replacement did.

If they don't tell you what they did, you can simply look down there and if the block is shiny and new, it's probably a new crate shortblock.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Quarterlife Crisis....

I'd have to look up the vin, but its an 04 6mt