Is this Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this Normal?

Looking for some input here on my exhaust. I have an 06 AT

I'll preface this by saying I have Injen CAI, Comptech Headers, RT Cat and Comptech Catback, and in case it makes a difference, Comptech RSB.

Anyway, here is the possible problem? My girlfriend said the other day while she was driving behind me in her car she noticed my the tip of my mufflers were sort of vibrating or shaky.

Anyway, today I had here drive the car while I stood outside and wathced. This is what I observed: When moving the car from Park to Drive, and then accelerating away, I didn't notice any vibration at all in the mufflers, everything seemed great (And it sounded great to!!!)

However, when she pulled back around and came to a stop, and the car was still in drive and she had her foot on the brake, after about 1 sec of being stopped, the mufflers or especially the tips (well I guess the whole thing since the comptech catback's mufflers the tips are welded to the muffler) anyway the muffler was vibrating quite heavily. It was vibrating very very fast, and the total vibration looked like the tips were moving between a one inch area, if that make any sense, in other words the total movement caused by the vibration appeared to be about an inch back and forth while they were vibrating, and again, vibrating very heavily back and forth, almost like a sputtering. I dont' want to make it sound like they were coming loose or anything, but the vibration was really really noticeable.

So in conclusion, I'm thinking that when it's just idling in drive, and no acceleration is applied, that air is just resonating heavily and causing the intense vibration? Does that sound right?

Again, soon as brake is release and even slight acceleration applied, vibration goes away?

Does it sound like maybe the rubber hooks that the exhaut is mounted to are stretching or coming loose? I haven't had the time to go out and get under and fully inspect, but I wanted to check here if this is normal and what I should expect with intake/headers/cat/exhaust etc.

Thanks for the input in advance!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 PM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
this is normal due to the face that there is only one flex point in your entire exhaust setup not. the factory exhaust has two points, one where the two headers pieces join and then the flex pipe. all the pieces you added all all slightly larger than factory even if only by like 1/8 of an inch it means that they take the engine vibrations more and pass them through the only lose point which is the back of your exhaust.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The AT has lower idle rpm which contribute to slightly more vibrations to begin with. In fact, Honda added an extra vibration damper on the lower subframe by the flex pipe mount on the AT model. The exhaust hangers are made of soft material to help dampen vibrations. Therefore, the exhaust tips will move around a bit under certain condition, including the MT. You could replace the soft exhaust hangers with slightly harder ones but you may experience slightly more cabin vibration as a result. Additionally, the stock header uses a spring loaded connector plus a flex pipe vs flex pipe only on the aftermarket header. This could also contribute to the increased of vibtation, which CCC has also pointed out.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Acurasrule, not sure I can add anything more to the thread. I think these guy got it pinned for you.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again, I can't figure out why it's making the mufflers vibrate so bad, but I notice with the comptech catback setup, it looks like the pipe coming back from the cat seem to dip down around where they split, and then curve back up where they are welded to the muffler.... I was thinking since the car only idles at around 600rpm, maybe because of the downward slope, it causes the air just to build up, and not fully flow out? The stock exhaust pipes seem to be more straight, and don't slope down as much on the way to the muffler, anybody have any thoughts on this ?

Thinking about putting my OEM exhaust back on, for some reason, I think even with the Injen CAI/RT CAT/Comptech Header....if I put the OEM exhaust back on, I won't have this vibration problem, could the downward the upward slope I described in the comptech catback, pared with a low idle rpm (600) cause this vibration to be excesive?

Anyone think it will go away with OEM exhaust?