Need help on identifying bearing problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 12:31 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on identifying bearing problem

What are the symptoms for damaged/defective bearing?

How do I know if my TSX's bearing is no good?

My TSX is creating a noise when I slightly press the gas pedal. It only happens when the speed is accelerating from 10mph to 25mph. 100% sure the noise doesn't come from the brake rotors,and no shaking steering as well. But I'm guessing it's either from the bearing or the michelin tires...

It's very strange that if I let go the gas pedal, the noise disappears. And if I floor the gas pedal to accelerate hard, the noise is not there.

But if I just slightly accelerate the TSX at 1500 to 2000rpm, there's a humming noise down there, underneath the car. From 10mph is like "HUM, HUM, HUM ..." 20mph' is like "HUMHUM, HUMHUM..." 25mph is like "HUMHUMHUM, HUMHUMHUMHUM..."

Over 30mph, the noise will disappear.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A wheel bearing going bad will definitely do a sort of constant HUM, and accentuated very much when you take curves that create stress from the exterior of the car, ie: if your left rear is going bad, you will hear it humming when you turn right.

But that definitely doesn't seem to be your case. It looks more like you had some tires that would need to be re-balanced pretty soon, or at worst a noisy tranny, but I really don't believe the latter is the case.

Just try and get the tires balanced, and I'm pretty sure the noise will stop there.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2.4TSX-R
What are the symptoms for damaged/defective bearing?

How do I know if my TSX's bearing is no good?

My TSX is creating a noise when I slightly press the gas pedal. It only happens when the speed is accelerating from 10mph to 25mph. 100% sure the noise doesn't come from the brake rotors,and no shaking steering as well. But I'm guessing it's either from the bearing or the michelin tires...

It's very strange that if I let go the gas pedal, the noise disappears. And if I floor the gas pedal to accelerate hard, the noise is not there.

But if I just slightly accelerate the TSX at 1500 to 2000rpm, there's a humming noise down there, underneath the car. From 10mph is like "HUM, HUM, HUM ..." 20mph' is like "HUMHUM, HUMHUM..." 25mph is like "HUMHUMHUM, HUMHUMHUMHUM..."

Over 30mph, the noise will disappear.
I think I have the exact problem, except mine is a faint "whirring" noise instead of a hum. Exact same scenario as you though. Did you buy new wheels because mine started a while after I got my new wheels. When winter comes, I am going to switch back to OEMs and see if the noise is still there. It might be a balancing issue like sauceman said. If it is the bearing thats going to suck. Do me a favor and let me know if you find the cause. thanks!
Old 11-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
To check if your bearing is bad is .. jack up your car .. then spin your tire . .if it's making noise then yes your bearing is messed up. if it doesnt make a noise as it spin .. then it's can be either your bearing is becoming bad or your lug nuts are loose or having your wheels balance .. if not that .. then have your alignment check. if that doesnt solve it .. you got me stumped.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:49 PM
Intermediate

just had the same, low-pitched noise coming from my car. anytime i accelerated, sounded like something was lightly rubbing up against the tire or the equivalent of putting a baseball card in a bicycle spoke.

took it in and found that the bearings were bad. they're replacing them as we speak.

does anybody know what causes bearings to go bad?
Old 10-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Professional Newbie

Hey guys, bit of a thread revival here...but my gf's car ('02 Celica GT-S) is making a whirring noise that sounds like it might be a bearing problem. She's only gonna have the car for another 4 months though. Is this potentially dangerous or should she just let the next owner deal with the problem??
Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Racer

defected torque converter?!?
this is a well known problem and i have the same problem on my 2004 AT tsx.