My TSX has some wobble--anyone able to give me a guess on what the problem is?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My TSX has some wobble--anyone able to give me a guess on what the problem is?

So I recently put some new tires on my 2006 TSX. When I took it in, I did notice that there's a shimmy or wobble, especially in high speeds. I figured it might be a broken belt in the tire or just that they were old, but the shop said it might be something else. My dad's a mechanic and he suggested it could just be a loose tie rod but I think the shop said something about the drive shaft or something like that and said I'd be looking in the ballpark of $350 or so but they'd have to take it apart, yadda yadda. Oh..and I have around 80K miles on it right now.

It only does this while I'm accelerating and only right around 60mph. Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Lt. Gamble

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts
Loose lugnuts?

I only suggested this because you put new tires on your car, was there a wobble before you put new tires on?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,431 Posts
First check your lug nuts and make sure they are nice and tight. If you don't have a torque wrench, take the one out of the trunk and simply put in on the lug nut and try stepping on the end of it to tighten (wear shoes). If it moves easily then it's not toqued tightly. If it doesn't budge move to the one across from it!

If that doesn't work, then schedule an appt with whomever installed the tires at your convenience. The day before, clean up the wheels and tires so most of the brake dust, tar, etc is gone. About 30 mins before the appt, try to go on the highway and warm up the tires as best you can by simply driving at 60 for a few miles. Once that is done, go to the shop and have them rebalance the tires. Explain that you have a vibration while going 40 (if you say 60 they'll blame the roads) and the dealership said that it's the tires off balance.

It should be free of charge because they didn't do it right in the first place. Also are you feeling a shimmy in the steering wheel and a vibration in your seat? If yes, that means all 4 tires are off balance. If it's just the steering wheel, that would mean that it's just 1 or both of the front tires off balance.

I doubt your bushings or tie rods would have gone south right after new tires.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I bet its the weights used for balancing, it was probably rushed, just have them rebalance the wheel.

I actually had this problem once they put too much weight on one tire it felt like the wheel was going to fall off once I got past 45 mph.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:21 AM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
yup i was gonna say the wheels need to be balanced
Old 04-07-2011, 03:52 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Only at high speed or only under hard acceleration? If the latter, it's an axle/drive shaft.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Did it do it before you got the new tires?

If not, have them rebalanced. That should fix your issue.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Oh yeah check your lugnuts to make sure they are tight before you drive anywhere.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:06 AM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
I doubt your bushings or tie rods would have gone south right after new tires.
her issue sounds a LOT like when I needed new tie rods. New tires and the issues itself aren't necessarily mutually inclusive...
Old 04-07-2011, 07:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
When users who have been members for a while post in the wrong forum we send a transmission via AZ-Star (Acurazine's version of OnStar) to mess up stuff on the car

Seriously though... sounds like a balancing issue to me. Oh, and off to TSX we go
Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
or it could be a bad tire. i had my "new" toyos rebalanced on a roadforce balancer and 1 tire could not be balanced.

replaced all 4 with bridgestones and all is well.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by juniorbean
When users who have been members for a while post in the wrong forum we send a transmission via AZ-Star (Acurazine's version of OnStar) to mess up stuff on the car

Seriously though... sounds like a balancing issue to me. Oh, and off to TSX we go
Is that not a "car" discussion??? Sorrrrrry

Ok...so this was happening before the new tires and after. The installer is the one who pointed it out. I knew it was happening but thought it was the old tires but it continued to happen after the new ones were on. It only happens at high speeds (accelerating to 60mph to be exact).

I'm not sure if I should consider trading in my TSX since I have to buy a new work vehicle anyways. It's got 80K on it and starting to see repair issues coming up. Will prob need a timing belt soon too. Ugh...what to do??
Old 04-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Old Guy

Received 161 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SaraWI
Is that not a "car" discussion??? Sorrrrrry

Ok...so this was happening before the new tires and after. The installer is the one who pointed it out. I knew it was happening but thought it was the old tires but it continued to happen after the new ones were on. It only happens at high speeds (accelerating to 60mph to be exact).

I'm not sure if I should consider trading in my TSX since I have to buy a new work vehicle anyways. It's got 80K on it and starting to see repair issues coming up. Will prob need a timing belt soon too. Ugh...what to do??
Since the problem existed before you replaced the tires, and it still does, I'm with the crowd that suggests suspension, or a CV joint (my vote because of the "only under acceleration" clue) . Either way, it won't be too cheap, but it is somewhat of an aberration. Suspension or drivetrain, it shouldn't be happening, or certainly so soon, but it's water under the bridge. And 80K miles is nothing for any Honda (including the TSX). And.... you shouldn't have any extra maintenance concerns for quite some (and the TSX has a timing chain not a timing belt, and it's not a serviceable item). Of course you may encounter wear and tear item (tires, brakes, brake fluid, coolant, etc), but that comes with the territory; you'd deal with that with any car as it gets older and approaches high mileage. The owner's manual lists all the required maintenance. Hopefully you have access to a good dealer. I think they'd be your best resource to determine what the problem is. And you really can't sell it that way, so I'd guess you'll have to fix it no matter what you do.

Last edited by Simba91102; 04-07-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 168 Likes on 122 Posts
axle and/or engine mounts...my guess based on my experiences.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Simba91102
Since the problem existed before you replaced the tires, and it still does, I'm with the crowd that suggests suspension, or a CV joint (my vote because of the "only under acceleration" clue) . Either way, it won't be too cheap, but it is somewhat of an aberration. Suspension or drivetrain, it shouldn't be happening, or certainly so soon, but it's water under the bridge. And 80K miles is nothing for any Honda (including the TSX). And.... you shouldn't have any extra maintenance concerns for quite some (and the TSX has a timing chain not a timing belt, and it's not a serviceable item). Of course you may encounter wear and tear item (tires, brakes, brake fluid, coolant, etc), but that comes with the territory; you'd deal with that with any car as it gets older and approaches high mileage. The owner's manual lists all the required maintenance. Hopefully you have access to a good dealer. I think they'd be your best resource to determine what the problem is. And you really can't sell it that way, so I'd guess you'll have to fix it no matter what you do.
Timing chain...really? I can't believe I didn't know that. Well I guess that helps. I was expecting that around 80K. As for brakes, etc. I know those come up and fully expect that too.

I didn't expect this wobble problem but appreciate the feedback. I'll take it in asap since it's obviously not one of those things you can let go.