My steering column rattling/vibration is fixed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
My steering column rattling/vibration is fixed!

OK, I just got the car back today, so I should not say this too fast.... still, I am very happy for now!

My TSX was driving me nuts with this rattling/vibration noise from the steering column intermittently when I accelerated from a stationary position, or when I went over bumps. I took it to the dealer last week and got it back today. They said that they found loose bolts in the steering column and so they tightened them and added EPT tape to cushion. Well, I drove for about 50 miles today and there was not a single noise! The amazing thing was, even the rough idling vibration at the steering wheel was gone too!

Let's hope this will last.... I'm in love with the TSX again!
Old 07-18-2004, 01:08 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey do you have any way to know where the screws were? I have this same problem, and thank god the only problem with the car and it drives me nuts. sounds exactly like loose things floating around in the back area of the steering wheel. It happens if i accelerate (6mt) and stutter a little, or when going over perticular bumps.

Your the only one who has so far claimed to have had it fixed completely. Someone in another post said the dealer claimed that the noise was caused by horn springs and was unfixable. B.S if you ask me...

Thanks
Old 07-18-2004, 09:16 AM
04 remembrance

Were any parts replaced?
Old 07-18-2004, 06:38 PM
Keeping emos out of

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ostrich
OK, I just got the car back today, so I should not say this too fast.... still, I am very happy for now!

My TSX was driving me nuts with this rattling/vibration noise from the steering column intermittently when I accelerated from a stationary position, or when I went over bumps. I took it to the dealer last week and got it back today. They said that they found loose bolts in the steering column and so they tightened them and added EPT tape to cushion. Well, I drove for about 50 miles today and there was not a single noise! The amazing thing was, even the rough idling vibration at the steering wheel was gone too!

Nice job by the dealer, i hope that this is the end of your problems with the TSX.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Racer

Hellooooooooo which parts?
Old 07-20-2004, 04:53 PM
bleh...

My TSX had a knocking noise coming from the steering wheel about 7 months ago....and parts were replaced.

Here is the link to my thread:
http://www.acura-tsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6262
Old 10-01-2004, 11:34 AM
Cruisin'

rattling in steering wheel/column

Originally Posted by ostrich

are those loose bolts accessible without taking the steering wheel apart?
thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Did this worsen as the weather got colder? I have a creaking/shudder coming from my steering column but tends to only make itself known in low 60s or below. I've not had it through winter, and if it sounds like it does at 60 degrees, I'm not looking forward to hearing it at 20 degrees. It's driving me nuts.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:06 PM
Master in Science

Originally Posted by scheißterhöffer
Did this worsen as the weather got colder? I have a creaking/shudder coming from my steering column but tends to only make itself known in low 60s or below. I've not had it through winter, and if it sounds like it does at 60 degrees, I'm not looking forward to hearing it at 20 degrees. It's driving me nuts.
Are you sure it's the steering wheel? It's a known problem for the windshield area to crackle in low temperatures. The dealer needs to add some material around the seal to stop it.

I actually have this problem, and it acts up at low 60's too.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by slo007
Are you sure it's the steering wheel? It's a known problem for the windshield area to crackle in low temperatures. The dealer needs to add some material around the seal to stop it.

I actually have this problem, and it acts up at low 60's too.
I've read those threads. I'm just not sure. It really sounds like the steering column. I don't hear it all the way across, and it sounds too low down to be windshield, but it's really hard to say. I'll probably ask about it when I have the car in for service, or it gets too frequent to bear. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Cruisin'

Question

I know its been about 3 years since anyone wrote on this topic but I haven't been able to find this anywhere else on the forum and I figured it was better to continue this thread...

Recently my 2004 at tsx developed this steering column rattle I can tell it is in the steering column because of I loosen the steering wheel adjustment and don't lock it into place again the rattle stops. I'm at about 80k miles so its out of warranty and any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Instructor

is your steering column loosing happened while your driving?

or was it when your idle too?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

The rattling only happens when I hit bumps. Nothing when I idle. i had loosened the adjustment and just let it go as low as it goes and while that is loosened it doesn't rattle, its only when I lock the steering wheel into a position... doesn't seem to matter where, just whenever its locked it will start rattling again.

Thanks