MID info button requires two presses to activate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008 | 03:37 AM
Pro

MID info button requires two presses to activate?

I've noticed this funny thing on my 06' tsx that I don't think is normal. My "i" button (top right button) on the steering wheel doesn't work the same way the manual says it should. Whenever I turn the car on, I have to press the "i" button twice (shows mpg, range etc) for the MID to turn on. Then from that point on when I'm using the button, it only require one press to make anything appear on the screen. If I shut the car off, I have to press the "i" button twice before anything appears on the screen and so on and so on. The button below it (shows trip computer, outside temp) only requires one button press to scroll through the info on the MID. It does not ever take two presses like the "i" key does. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 05-31-2008 | 10:16 AM
still plays with cars

Mine does it in one push. Try starting the engine with the driver's door open - does the MID display "door open"? When you shut the door the normal MID upper half should appear.

FWIW, I've always been annoyed that I have to push the "i" to get the display back the way it was the last time I drove it. Crappy human factors design.
Old 05-31-2008 | 11:15 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jottle
I've noticed this funny thing on my 06' tsx that I don't think is normal. My "i" button (top right button) on the steering wheel doesn't work the same way the manual says it should. Whenever I turn the car on, I have to press the "i" button twice (shows mpg, range etc) for the MID to turn on. Then from that point on when I'm using the button, it only require one press to make anything appear on the screen. If I shut the car off, I have to press the "i" button twice before anything appears on the screen and so on and so on. The button below it (shows trip computer, outside temp) only requires one button press to scroll through the info on the MID. It does not ever take two presses like the "i" key does. Has anyone else experienced this?
same happens to me....2nd push works
Old 05-31-2008 | 11:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by b4ceen
same happens to me....2nd push works
Interesting. So it's not just me. I noticed that sometimes if I push the button really hard it will work on the first push. Sometimes not actually. Pretty much all the buttons (voice command and hfl) seem to require much more solid pushes to activate. The system itself is slow, so it always feels like it's catching up with you.
Old 05-31-2008 | 01:03 PM
Advanced

Not sure about the 2006's, but the 2008's work on one push of the button. Also, FWIW, the 2008 allow you to program what appears in the InfoCenter when the car turns.
Old 05-31-2008 | 11:48 PM
Let me help you!

Once in a while it'll happen on my 06. What's more common for me is the bluetooth button...sometimes I have to hit it 4 or 5 times before it'll give me the beep so I can give a command, or to answer an incoming call
Old 06-01-2008 | 10:44 AM
still plays with cars

Originally Posted by nbtx
Mine does it in one push. Try starting the engine with the driver's door open - does the MID display "door open"? When you shut the door the normal MID upper half should appear.

FWIW, I've always been annoyed that I have to push the "i" to get the display back the way it was the last time I drove it. Crappy human factors design.
You can also turn the MID on by pushing the button below the gas gauge. If the MID turns on with one push there, the button on the steering wheel may be defective. If two pushes are required from both buttons, there is probably a software problem - either way see your local dealer, it should work correctly with one push.
Old 06-02-2008 | 05:48 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

These are old issues with threads about them. It's a bug in the programming, where the MID doesn't actually display unless there's some message displayed first, when you start the car. The message can be anything; service warning, door ajar, seat belt warning, DRL warning, etc. When the message clears, the MID will display as it should.

Not sure about the bluetooth issue. I get that sometimes, but only if my phone isn't really paired yet (which seems to take random amounts of time).
Old 06-02-2008 | 06:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by swirlie
These are old issues with threads about them. It's a bug in the programming, where the MID doesn't actually display unless there's some message displayed first, when you start the car. The message can be anything; service warning, door ajar, seat belt warning, DRL warning, etc. When the message clears, the MID will display as it should.

Not sure about the bluetooth issue. I get that sometimes, but only if my phone isn't really paired yet (which seems to take random amounts of time).

If it's software related, have people taken this to the dealership? I'm just surprised because I haven't seen this issue on here in a year. The two presses issue I mean. Most of this has to do with the screen starting out blank or not on the setting people left it won.
Old 06-03-2008 | 01:21 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Once in a while, the MID doesn't activate on the first press, I thought because I wasn't pressing hard enough.

The "(i)" button is the knob below the temperature range, the one under the gas gauge is the "select" or trip odometer (and gauge brightness) control.