Intermittent check airbag system/SRS light, electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 01:09 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent check airbag system/SRS light, electrical problem

Hi guys,

I have a very rare issue with my 2006 Acura TSX that has been ongoing for nearly a year now. I've had a few mechanics check it out and they have been unsuccessful in determining the cause, so hopefully I can get pick at your guy's brains to help solve this problem. The first signs of the problem started with an intermittent Check Airbag System/SRS light flashing on while I was driving. It would happen maybe once or twice while I would be driving then the issue would go away for a few months before returning. Coincidentally when this problem occurs, the radio would cut in and out as well.

Fast forward to today, the issue is now happening more often, nearly everyday the "Check Airbag System" will flash on for a brief second and radio cutting in/out, and it'll happen 3-4 times while I'm driving to work.

Another problem that started recently coming up, is Check VSA/ABS/Brake light will flash on for a second, one right after the other then go away. I'm not certain it is related, it could be completely off-topic.

One time about a month ago my lights inside the dashboard console ALL turned off, radio turned off while I was driving on the freeway. This includes the speedometer, tachometer dashboard and radio, HVAC system briefly shutting off for a second, then turning back on. The car was still driving without any issues. So far, this symptom has only occurred once.

My mechanic suspected it was an issue with the alternator, so we replaced the alternator a week ago but the problem is still there.

One thing I noticed is that the SRS light will blink on sometimes when I turn off/on the Radio/AC unit so the issue is most likely along the lines of electrical.

Any ideas??? I want to bring it into the dealer, but the issue is intermittent so if I bring it in and the problem does not occur I might be out the diagnostics fee.

Video of the occurrence:

http://youtu.be/nHPOvy49SRU?t=25s

Here is one with the radio cutting in/out when the problem happens:

Old 12-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Problem could possibly be a power supply issue. The Multiplex Integrated Control Unit (MICU) and audio system are separate systems and not directly linked.

I checked both systems (audio and ) and they only share one common fuse (#15 in underhood fuse box). They don't share grounds at all. Fuse could be intermittent. I would try replacing fuse and hope that's it.

Besides the fuse or fuse holder, it could be a poor connector pin (intermittent open/close) in the yellow wire out of underhood fuse box. A damaged wire is also possible (open/closing), but seems less likely.

If you want to diy this problem, you will need a wiring diagram. automanualsource.com has the e-manual available for $21.99. That's what I used for above.

good luck
Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Fairly common to have intermittant high resistance in the negative battery cable. Acura had a Service News article on it. Check this thread https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...+battery+cable
Old 12-21-2012, 06:29 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the response guys, I appreciate it. I swapped the fuses as TexasHonda suggested so we'll see how that goes. I'll also look into changing the negative battery cable.
Thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I had this exact problem on my 06 TSX...and after Acura replaced the alternator and driver's side airbag on two visits, (under certified warranty), it still occurred. They were mystified.

Finally, I found a thread here about this problem and it discussed corrosion in OEM negative (ground) battery cables...(much like the above mentioned thread posted by Poltergeist.)

I went and bought a new one from Autozone for $10 and installed it. --That was it! The old, corroded cable was causing a loss of power.

Try it...I'll bet that will fix your problems.

Last edited by Boulder TSX; 01-01-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:43 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi iamalexchung

I had the same problem on my 06 TSX, I swapped the negative terminal out as well as change out the alternator and that fixed the problem.

Hope that helps.

-tybo
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the advice everyone! I cleaned the negative battery cable ends and the issue has gone away. If it comes back, I'll definitely replace the cable since it looks like the cable is definitely causing the problem.