HUGE water leak problem :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HUGE water leak problem :(

Hey guys,

I was getting my sound system install today and the installers found a pretty serious problem. There's a huge puddle of water in the trunk of the car and the bottom of the back seat (the exposed foam near the mats if you dig your finger under the seats) are drenched. I am still under warranty but my main concern is, can this be due to my rims / Tein Basics install? I'm worried that they are going to try to pin this on the custom suspension somehow. Oh, and it is a 2006 Acura TSX with around 10k miles on it.

Pics:

Bottom of the tire well lid:
Name:  toolbin.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  115.8 KB

Tire well full of water:
Name:  tirewell.jpg
Views: 1610
Size:  35.6 KB

Right side of car, all the way in the indentation on the side on the floor (looks darker than the rest) is wet:
Name:  rightsideofcar.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  105.1 KB

Same on the left side:
Name:  leftsideofcar.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  113.1 KB

Thanks for the help!
Old 03-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
I don't see how installing wheels or the suspension could have resulted in flooding in the trunk.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Where did my garage go?

how does the weatherstripping under the back window look? I can't figure out how water got in there.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM
Got Phó?

I think you can have AC leak, contact the deal for this. My back seats was flooded, they fix it no questions asked and i have custom suspension .
Old 03-13-2007, 09:19 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What does the liquid look and smell like? Its not water no?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:28 PM
Drifting

you may want to double-check your sunroof drains.

these pics were taken by Rocket_man:

Old 03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by afici0nad0

these pics were taken by Rocket_man:
I was going to suggest the same thing. I think these drain out of the rear wheel wells. Take a cup of water and open your moon roof and run the water down the drain (if you can) and see if it comes out of the bottom of the car near the wheel. There is actually a drain in each corner, but if yours are causing this problem then it is likely the rear drains. Maybe the drain was somehow knocked loose or came loose. Try to get this dry as fast as possible to reduce the risk of mold and mildew.

The drains could also have clogged up if you get debris in them. This would likely only happen if you have the roof open a lot and park under a tree for example. But it could get blocked and back up and have no where to go.

Did you haul a water cooler somewhere and it might have leaked?

If you can't get water down the drain you may want to peel back the liners in the trunk and take a peek. It is not hard. There are some pics in my Cargo Net install if you can find it that show where the clips are. Probably long buried somewhere now but you can search for it.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:09 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many people have had this happen to them?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
If you can't get water down the drain you may want to peel back the liners in the trunk and take a peek. It is not hard. There are some pics in my Cargo Net install if you can find it that show where the clips are. Probably long buried somewhere now but you can search for it.
here you go:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...+install+trunk
Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Racer

I really appreciate the responses guys,

I'll peel back the trim, get some pics, and let you know what goes down. I would assume that it's those drains that run along the side of the car, one, or both, is causing the problem.

I'm going to try to run by the dealership also, hopefully this is a quick fix.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xenonhid
What does the liquid look and smell like? Its not water no?
The water does not smell bad, it just looks cloudy. It seems fresh enough, the weather just got a lot warmer here so whatever frozen water that was around has melted and caused this huge lake in my well.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Use all 3 Pedals at once

...didn't even know we had sunroof drains.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Racer

UPDATE:
I went out (it's 12 AM lol) and tried pouring a little bit of water down the ledge of the sunroof. The water DOES come down out from the rear of the car BUT when I looked inside the trunk I did see water trickling in. What really bothers me is that it's coming from both sides. The path that the water took is below (red arrows):

Name:  toolbinwaterpath.jpg
Views: 1481
Size:  116.0 KB

I'm gonna run this over the the dealership. My main concern now is how much water is in the seats and whether or not it's going to make my car smell like mildew.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:56 PM
Racer

I just noticed that the first post is made from a different account, I made the first one from my friend's computer, I apologize for the confusion.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:30 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ishakir
UPDATE:
I went out (it's 12 AM lol) and tried pouring a little bit of water down the ledge of the sunroof. The water DOES come down out from the rear of the car BUT when I looked inside the trunk I did see water trickling in. What really bothers me is that it's coming from both sides. The path that the water took is below (red arrows):

I'm gonna run this over the the dealership. My main concern now is how much water is in the seats and whether or not it's going to make my car smell like mildew.

If/when they fix the drains (the cause of the problem), have them fully vacuum out the trunk and any wet areas with a shop-vac and then air dry the area with a fan for at least a few hours, to try and dry it out as much as possible. I'd also recommend you asking them to Lysol (unscented) any area that was wet, to try and combat the potential of mildew and mold.

I'd also keep a thing of arm-n-hammer baking soda in the trunk for a week or two --> they sell the "fridge" ones that are able to be opened w/o spilling the baking soda all over the place. I think they're under a buck. That should help any potential odours from taking over the trunk.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by drunkenbuda
I think you can have AC leak, contact the deal for this. My back seats was flooded, they fix it no questions asked and i have custom suspension .
Old 03-14-2007, 10:20 AM
where is my garage?!

Originally Posted by Ishakir
UPDATE:

not to belittle your problem, but i see a smiley face in that picture. haha. hope you get it fixed.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Drifting

^

my thoughts exactly.

it's cool, Ishakir has identified the source.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by xjohnkdoex
not to belittle your problem, but i see a smiley face in that picture. haha. hope you get it fixed.
LOL, I saw that too, maybe Yum will enjoy its robot like qualities.

I dropped it off at the stealership, I'll let you guys know what becomes of it.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:23 PM
Racer

OK guys,

I took the car in and I haven't had the best experience so far. I dropped it of Wednesday and they still do not know for sure where the leak is. They are claiming it is from the bumper area some place and it's apparently taking them 3+ hours to remove the bumper because "it has been removed before". I bought the car with 3500 miles on it certified from Acura. I haven't been in any wrecks or anything so I don't understand when the bumper would have been removed. The Carfax on the car shows no records so I am at a loss right now.

Is it even possible to tell if the bumper has been removed before? Even if it has, would it really take a trained professional 3+ hours to attempt to remove it? Lastly, where the hell is the leak coming from? I swear to God I saw water come into the trunk when I poured water into the sunroof ledge but they are telling me that it is definitely not that.

Ugh...
Old 03-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I fail to see how removing the bumper (front? rear?) will give them any insight into why the water is where you drew the red arrows.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

could it be that the stealership is pulling another fast one?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Drifting

can you demonstrate to the technicians the "pouring water onto the sunroof ledges" method?

maybe they'll see what's up at that point.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Drifting

my guess?

the sunroof drain hoses has somehow come loose from the wheel well drain attachments.

did you get a chance to see your trunk without the carpet lining?
Old 03-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Racer

OK guys, after some bitching, they suddenly got the bumper off...

I really hate to bitch at people but this is ridiculous. They apparently took off the bumpers, found some missing seals and replaced them. How the heck could these seals have been compromised??

They have some sort of mat on order for me for which I will have to take the car back. I will retry the sunroof drain test and see what I come up with. I, too, am doubtful on the success of the said fix...

I'll let you know what goes down...

Thanks again for the replies!!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Racer

my guess?

the sunroof drain hoses has somehow come loose from the wheel well drain attachments.

did you get a chance to see your trunk without the carpet lining?
Nope, I did not.

I'm not very happy with my first Acura service experience, I really hope this is a one time thing...
Old 03-28-2007, 04:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wish2k
Hey guys,

I was getting my sound system install today and the installers found a pretty serious problem. There's a huge puddle of water in the trunk of the car and the bottom of the back seat (the exposed foam near the mats if you dig your finger under the seats) are drenched. I am still under warranty but my main concern is, can this be due to my rims / Tein Basics install? I'm worried that they are going to try to pin this on the custom suspension somehow. Oh, and it is a 2006 Acura TSX with around 10k miles on it.

Pics:

Bottom of the tire well lid:

Tire well full of water:

Right side of car, all the way in the indentation on the side on the floor (looks darker than the rest) is wet:

Same on the left side:

Thanks for the help!
You know whats fucked up I have the exact same problem at first it was small so I thought mabe its because of something left in the trunk and the problem just got bigger like this week it rained like hell (I live in vancouver) and my whole trunk is all wet like its soaking through to the back seat. When I was outside I could see water dripping near the right tail pipe. Acura said I would have to remove my subs before the touch anything cause last time they checked the seals.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Racer

Let me know what happens...

The seals that they replaced on my car seems to have fixed the problem.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:06 PM
boost owns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Was there ever a resolution to this?

I ask because I noticed something this morning in my 04 TSX. I went to get something that fell in my rear passenger footwell, and the entire carpet back there (and the carpet underneath it) were soaked clean through. No standing water, but they might as well have been sitting underwater, that's how wet things were.

I live in CT, and Sunday through yesterday, more or less, we experienced a huge nor'easter, with tons of rain.

How could this water have gotten into my car? I'm thoroughly befuddled here. There's no water anywhere else - not the trunk, not the seats - just the rear passenger footwell.

Any ideas??
Old 04-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Drifting

rear passenger footwell? iirc, that might be associated with an a/c leak.

others should chime in though, as i believe some had this problem.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Pro

the dealership is gonna give you so much garbage about yoru mods.. if worst comes to worst.. switch it back to stock and send it back
Old 04-19-2007, 09:14 AM
boost owns

I actually spoke with my dealership's service today, the head of the department told me that is most likely a clogged sunroof drain pipe. I'm going to test that theory this weekend.

Honestly, my dealership has been very cool about mods thus far, so that's not what I'm worried about. I just hate being without my car and dealing with going to/from the dealership, so whatever I can fix myself, I do, ya know?

If I can't find a blocked sunroof drain, it's probably an A/C leak, which I definitely will have the dealership take care of. Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Audioserf
Was there ever a resolution to this?

I ask because I noticed something this morning in my 04 TSX. I went to get something that fell in my rear passenger footwell, and the entire carpet back there (and the carpet underneath it) were soaked clean through. No standing water, but they might as well have been sitting underwater, that's how wet things were.

I live in CT, and Sunday through yesterday, more or less, we experienced a huge nor'easter, with tons of rain.

How could this water have gotten into my car? I'm thoroughly befuddled here. There's no water anywhere else - not the trunk, not the seats - just the rear passenger footwell.

Any ideas??
When I took my car into the dealership, they replaced some of the seals around the bumpers, apparently some were damaged and that was the source of the leak. My car, as you can see from the pics, had a flooded trunk, the foam in the seats and down into the rear passenger foot wells. The water somehow initially got into the trunk, soaked up the trunk liner and then soaked into the rear seats which allowed it to soak into the foot wells. I think your problem may be a bit different and I would try testing the sunroof drains first and see where that takes you, otherwise it's probably the A/C line.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 PM
boost owns

Yeah - I saw your posts, and checked my spare tire/trunk, and there's no water anywhere in there. Just the footwell (and only one footwell, at that, not both).
Old 04-20-2007, 04:13 AM
Racer

I sent mine in yesterday and in the afternoon after like 6 hrs since they had my car they called me and said they still couldnt find where the leak is coming from
Old 04-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Advanced

have they fix the problem yet?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:16 AM
Racer

I got back my car after 4 days and it had to do with the seams from the bumper the part where the bumper touches the metal of the car. The dealership isnt a 100% sure if its solved yet and i'm not sure either because the rear glass still fogs up for some reason while other cars on my block doesnt and it only started to fog because of the leak.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Big Pimpin
I got back my car after 4 days and it had to do with the seams from the bumper the part where the bumper touches the metal of the car. The dealership isnt a 100% sure if its solved yet and i'm not sure either because the rear glass still fogs up for some reason while other cars on my block doesnt and it only started to fog because of the leak.
That's really weird, I had the same exact problem with my car...

I bought my car certified pre-owned with 3500 miles on it with a clear CarFax and the dealership was saying that the car may have been in an accident before. Have you ever been rear-ended before? They were saying that there's basically no other way that this problem could have occurred.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:09 AM
Racer

not really rear ended more like a hit and run in the parking lot like on the side of the bumper i think mabe it wrecked the seams when they removed it to repaint
Old 11-29-2008, 01:33 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got back from an extended trip. My TSX was parked in the driveway while I was away and there was a rain storm a few days ago. Guess what? the rear passenger footwells are soaked. Its definitely NOT the A/C. Its got to be the sun/moon roof drains that are clogged.

Quick Reply: HUGE water leak problem :(