How to fix condensation in headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005 | 10:45 PM
Instructor

How to fix condensation in headlights

Hey everyone,
I'm currently at 51K miles with condesnation in my driver side headlights and acura won't let me squeeze by and fix it. So I guess its either givce them 600 bucks to fix it or try to do it myself.

I was wondering if there is a way for me to remove the condensation myself? Maybe a tutorial on how to open the headlight, tips and tricks, or do you think I should just get a whole new headlight unit?

Is there a way i can remove the HID lights and gain access to the housing so I can maybe vacum the water out or let it air out? I saw the area where he HID is, but it had a warning label of "high electrical voltage that may kill" so I got kind of wiery about opening it up and experiementing. So do you guys have any ideas or instructions on how to gain access to the inner housing? thanks in advance!
Old 10-07-2005 | 11:36 PM
9th Gear

Sorry to hear about this issue...

Hey Lax,

I am having the same issue with my headlights. But I only have 7800 miles on my TSX. I called my dealership and they said that it should be covered under warranty. I hear a lot of people have this problem with their headlights. Acura should really hook you up and fix your issue at their cost. I mean, it's a faulty sealant issue, right. I believe that they should cover that. Well, I hope you get a good resolution to your issue.

Anthony
Old 10-08-2005 | 02:51 AM
Racer

It could be a faulty sealant issue, true. But, it could also be a hairline crack in the plastic of the headlight itself. I had one in my Eclipse that I just beared with for 4 years. Whenever it rained (i.e. every day in Pittsburgh), I'd get condensation. You'll most likely have to replace the headlight. Try looking around junkyards or eBay for a spare headlight in good condition. Either that or visit the stealership.
Old 10-08-2005 | 10:20 AM
ABP TSX

Originally Posted by theElio
Try looking around junkyards or eBay for a spare headlight in good condition.
I would check out eBay as well. After you get a set, I would seal the assemblies before installing on the car. They obviously have a problem.
Old 10-08-2005 | 10:53 AM
tsxy

You shouldnt have to replace the entire headlight housing. Just the cover and make sure they seal it better.
Old 10-08-2005 | 10:56 AM
tsxy

Originally Posted by LaxTSX
Hey everyone,
I'm currently at 51K miles with condesnation in my driver side headlights and acura won't let me squeeze by and fix it. So I guess its either givce them 600 bucks to fix it or try to do it myself.

I was wondering if there is a way for me to remove the condensation myself? Maybe a tutorial on how to open the headlight, tips and tricks, or do you think I should just get a whole new headlight unit?

Is there a way i can remove the HID lights and gain access to the housing so I can maybe vacum the water out or let it air out? I saw the area where he HID is, but it had a warning label of "high electrical voltage that may kill" so I got kind of wiery about opening it up and experiementing. So do you guys have any ideas or instructions on how to gain access to the inner housing? thanks in advance!

Ok do you actually have condensation in the light itself or the plastic covering the light. Big difference. Most people have condensation forming on the plastic cover and in that case you dont replace the entire headlight housing just the cover and they re-seal it better. If it has ruined your light in any way then water has actually gotten to the bulb, but there is the plastic covering all of the lights and then the bulb is actually protected by another cover so which one is it?
Old 10-08-2005 | 12:38 PM
I am Ahab!

You could try calling corporate since this is a pretty common problem maybe they'll take care of it.
Old 10-08-2005 | 01:20 PM
Racer

Is the condensation problem only on 04's??

Do some of you think the new 06 tsx also have this problem?
Old 10-08-2005 | 02:21 PM
tsxy

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Is the condensation problem only on 04's??

Do some of you think the new 06 tsx also have this problem?

I have an 05 and mine had problems, only passenger side tho
Old 10-08-2005 | 06:44 PM
Instructor

Angry

Hey .... the condensation is in the plastic case ... but now recently the HID light itself went out so I think there is condensation in that also .. I can't really tell if there's condensation i the HID themselves until I take it apart, but from a quick look I think I see condesation on the HID housing.

So to answer your question I def. see condensation in the plastic housing and maybe in the HID light itself considering it went out and its only 51K miles.

On another note, I'm starting to see condensation on the other side also. This is starting to get ridiculous

I'm gonna try to take off the bumper tonight to get the light out to see if I can clear some of hte condesnation out and see why my HID went out. I'll keep you guys updated. If there is anything I should watch out for please let me know. I think I can take the bumper off, but the HID housing might be another issue since I haven't seen any instructions on the forum. Thanks
Old 10-08-2005 | 07:04 PM
tsxy

Hey .... the condensation is in the plastic case ... but now recently the HID light itself went out so I think there is condensation in that also .. I can't really tell if there's condensation i the HID themselves until I take it apart, but from a quick look I think I see condesation on the HID housing.

So to answer your question I def. see condensation in the plastic housing and maybe in the HID light itself considering it went out and its only 51K miles.

On another note, I'm starting to see condensation on the other side also. This is starting to get ridiculous

I'm gonna try to take off the bumper tonight to get the light out to see if I can clear some of hte condesnation out and see why my HID went out. I'll keep you guys updated. If there is anything I should watch out for please let me know. I think I can take the bumper off, but the HID housing might be another issue since I haven't seen any instructions on the forum. Thanks
LAX listen you should really go into a different dealer or something or even call up ACURA and tell them the situation, I mean there are tons of people with condensation problems with the TSX and they know it! Whats the worst that could happen? more "no's" but its worth a try. If the condensation is effecting the light itself you have bigger problems and if I were you I would definitely try to get that taken care of by warranty (even tho yours is out) work. Its worth another try.
Old 10-08-2005 | 08:04 PM
Instructor

I'll give your suggestion another try .... we have 3 dealers around the Northern Virginia area that I know of and I've tried 2 out of the 3, Pohanka Acura and Karen Radley Acura (where I bought the car from). I've even tried to call the number that is located on the acura owners website thing, I forgot the name of it, and they all said the same thing. "We're sorry, but there is nothign we can do ..... the warranty is stated cut and dry." The Pohanka Service rep said no right off that bat so I tried to call again to get another rep and they still the same answer.

Karen Radley asked me to bring it in so I did, but the next day they called and said they tried everything they could. The rep seems to be sincere when he said that he tried everything he could. He said he tried to call the warranty department of acura serveral times asking to cover this under the warranty, but they said they couldn't.

I think its pretty bad public relations and this may be the last time I buy an acura .... well the new RL does look pretty nice .. ha ... we'll see.
Old 10-08-2005 | 08:45 PM
Instructor

ok .... I just took off the bumper and remove the headlight .... its really really bad ... when the headlights were on the car it just looks like condensation, but when you take the headlights off and move it around alittle bit, there must be atleast half a cup of water in there. A fish could litterally survive in that thing. Worst news for me, the ballast is full of water and that was my worst fear. I was hoping it was just the bulb that got wet. So I'm not really sure what to do now.

Do you think if I pry open up the ballast and try to air it out it'll work? When I shake it around i can litterally hear the water move.
Old 10-08-2005 | 08:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's sux! I have OEM headlight selling because I have JDM headlight on TSX already. Let me know if you interest then PM me or Email at gsgomez@hotmail.com.
Old 10-10-2005 | 02:18 PM
Intermediate

ok .... I just took off the bumper and remove the headlight .... its really really bad ... when the headlights were on the car it just looks like condensation, but when you take the headlights off and move it around alittle bit, there must be atleast half a cup of water in there. A fish could litterally survive in that thing. Worst news for me, the ballast is full of water and that was my worst fear. I was hoping it was just the bulb that got wet. So I'm not really sure what to do now.

Do you think if I pry open up the ballast and try to air it out it'll work? When I shake it around i can litterally hear the water move.
I say your best bet is to take it to a different dealership and complain. This is a known problem for the Acura TSX. There is a TSB (service bulletin) out there.

It's a MFG's defect. Complain to Acura HQ's if you don't get anywhere with the dealership.
Old 10-10-2005 | 03:29 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

I have an idea. But itz ghetto. Anyone else you know have a TSX that is still in warranty?
Old 10-10-2005 | 04:23 PM
Canuck

Originally Posted by Tsx536
I have an idea. But itz ghetto. Anyone else you know have a TSX that is still in warranty?
will that work since all parts on the car has a part # or serial # on them these days?
Old 11-03-2005 | 11:05 PM
Por Favor?

blah...this is why I wont be driving any new car beyond its factory warrantee. Late model cars are too damn expensive to risk having to fix out of pocket.