Help - Taking Apart Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Help - Taking Apart Center Console

Let me start at describing what I plan on doing. I just picked up my Tein FLEX with EDFC, and want to install the EDFC unit in the lower section of the Center Counsel, where the faux ashtray resides. From looking at diagrams I have been able to find, it looks like there are four screws holding the whole compartment in place.

I have been trying to figure out how to get to these screws, as they are covered by other plastic pieces. I tried applying moderate force to 'snap' the pieces off, but with no success. It's quite possible I need to strong-arm it, but I want to see if anyone else has already performed this task, as I'd prefer to not break anyting.

So If you have performed this taks, can you please share some advice.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I would highly suggest looking at this Comptech short shifter installation document for how to get access to the area.

http://comptechusa.com/store/media/i...hifter2005.pdf

First rule: BE GENTLE.
Second rule: Don't force things to bend too sharply, or you'll be in the market for new trim pieces ($).

I installed my short shifter without problems (read above rules), but others have damaged the plastic trim pieces following the same instructions.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:30 AM
The Power of a Grill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first, pull out center console (top pocket under ac/radio buttons). do this by pressing out on the inside walls and pulling out. this will expose the screws. you also need to pull out the lower center trim (around shifter) in order to take out the ashtray bit. when i say pull out, i mean stick your fingers in there and pull - they are held in by tension clips.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:52 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WOW...Thanks for the help guys! The Comptech instructions were just what I was looking for. I will heed your warnings on being gentle, yet firm ; )