Help! I short circuited my car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! I short circuited my car!

I thought I'd reach out to all the knowledgeable people here. I was trying to install a backup camera, but I screwed it up pretty bad. Lesson learned. I have no business doing anything like this, because I don't know squat about electronics. The DIY posted by PhiSigBrotha was simple enough, but I guess it was still beyond what I could do. I was 90% of the way there, everything functioning perfectly, when the camera had an outside power source. As soon as I tried to tap into the reverse lights for power, I think I caused a short or something. Turns out, I think the camera I purchased had a ground wire after all. I think if I cut the power wire, there were 2 wires inside that wire, one of which was the ground. I tapped into the outside wire, effectively tapping into both, so when I put the car in reverse, I think I got a short. Nothing wrong with the info posted here, just me being a dummy. I really hope it doesn't set me back too much. Anyone here that's pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, can you offer me some help/guidance? From the research I've done, I think I need a new reverse light switch. Here are my symptoms (pretty bad, actually):

1. Dash doesn't function. Lights up initially (welcome screen) then goes dark. No speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, temp, odometer, trip meter, trip computer functions, all gone.

2. Turn signals don't operate, reverse lights don't work, windows won't operate.

3. Car drives fine, navigation is fine, bluetooth is fine.

If anyone could offer me some help/guidance, I'd really appreciate it! I hope it's a simple fix and doesn't set me back several hundred dollars...

The price of stupidity...
Old 04-22-2007, 03:39 PM
East Coast Crew

Maybe fuses?
Old 04-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuses. Check your fuse box first, as I posted in response to where you posted it in A/V. Since this is serious (to you) the double-post is OK.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Check the fuse where you tapped for the camera power. If that fuse is blown, all circuits protected by that fuse will be down. You might want to consider adding a new fused circuit instead of tapping to existing fuse to isolate this type of problems.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:10 PM
日本国内市場の売春婦

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuses! Dealer may be nice and replace them for you!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Pro

yeah you probably blew few fuses, check the panel down in the drivers seat by the hood release.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:42 PM
kai!

yea i blew the same fuse when i was hooking up my radar detector to the power from the autodimming rear view power. i dont remember which one it was but i do remember taking my manual and pulling all of the fuses that i thought it could be using their description in the manual...took me a few minutes. also, when i replaced the fuse, everything was fine except i got a check emissions system light for some reason. i panicked and thought i blew another fuse but i gave up after i checked almost every fuse, including in the engine bay, and just decided id take it in later to the dealer just in case i screwed something up...but after i started the car a couple more times during the day the light went off and everything was ok again...lesson learned, dont try to hardwire stuff with your car on
Old 04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by n1ke5h
yea i blew the same fuse when i was hooking up my radar detector to the power from the autodimming rear view power. i dont remember which one it was but i do remember taking my manual and pulling all of the fuses that i thought it could be using their description in the manual...took me a few minutes. also, when i replaced the fuse, everything was fine except i got a check emissions system light for some reason. i panicked and thought i blew another fuse but i gave up after i checked almost every fuse, including in the engine bay, and just decided id take it in later to the dealer just in case i screwed something up...but after i started the car a couple more times during the day the light went off and everything was ok again...lesson learned, dont try to hardwire stuff with your car on
Hi n1ke5h,

Thanks for replying. Since you said you think you blew the same fuse, can I ask you if you had the same symptoms? Dash not functioning, no speedo, tach, fuel gauge, temp gauge, odometer, trip computer, turn signals, reverse lights, etc...?

I'm really starting to wish I didn't panic so quickly. Sounds like I could've taken care of the problem with the help and advice of all you here. Thanks everybody!
Old 04-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reach
Fuses. Check your fuse box first, as I posted in response to where you posted it in A/V. Since this is serious (to you) the double-post is OK.
Yeah, sorry for the double post, Reach. I was panicking at first, but it seems like the consensus is that I probably just blew a few fuses and that should be it. Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 04-23-2007, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Ok I'm gonna have another go at this. Do you guys foresee any problems if I were to try using the same adapter and camera? I think after the fuses are replaced, everything will be fine. I'm going to double check the camera, and use an outside power source to confirm everything is still working fine. Then I'll try to tap into the reverse wire. So I have some questions for the experts here.

1. The reverse wire is the green wire, correct?

2. Which wire do I need to tap for the camera? I think there are 2 wires, I don't have it with me at the moment, but I believe one wire is red and the other is black. Is the red wire the power wire? Is the black wire the ground wire? If I tap the green wire with the red wire, what do I do with the black wire? Do I tap into another wire? Or do I somehow attach the black wire to the chassis?

3. If replacing the fuses fixes the car, and the camera is still operational, can I go ahead and use the same camera and adapter? Or do you recommend I make a new adapter and buy a new camera?

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Old 04-23-2007, 03:35 PM
East Coast Crew

You'll probably need a higher rated fuse.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If everything is fine after replacing the fuse(s), you might want to seek the help from a professional to finish the job, unless you feel confident enough to continue on your own.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
uhhh...green wire is usually ground!! but it depends on the camara you are using... please seek professional help before you melt down your car!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdmturtleracin
uhhh...green wire is usually ground!! but it depends on the camara you are using... please seek professional help before you melt down your car!
I consider you guys my professional help!

But I will probably end up going to radio shack and ask them how to use a voltmeter/multimeter.

The green wire I'm referring to is running to the reverse lights for the car. I think this is the wire that supplies power to the reverse lights. it is not a camera wire.

I spliced the camera power wire and found a red wire and a bare copper wire. I'm assuming the red wire is the power wire and the bare copper wire is the ground wire. I'm planning on tapping the green reverse light wire with the camera's red wire, but not sure what to do with the bare copper wire. Just attach it to the chassis somehow? should i wrap the bare wire in electrical tape? Just think it looks odd with no shield/wrap of any kind.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeucla
Hi n1ke5h,

Thanks for replying. Since you said you think you blew the same fuse, can I ask you if you had the same symptoms? Dash not functioning, no speedo, tach, fuel gauge, temp gauge, odometer, trip computer, turn signals, reverse lights, etc...?

I'm really starting to wish I didn't panic so quickly. Sounds like I could've taken care of the problem with the help and advice of all you here. Thanks everybody!
I had the same problem when doing some sort of electrical install, I can't remember what it was but all those things went out, including the A/C. I think it turned out fuse number 16 blew. After replacing the fuse, all was fine, whew!!

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:20 AM
kai!

Hi n1ke5h,

yessir same symptoms...hope you got it all figured out
Old 04-24-2007, 08:21 AM
East Coast Crew

I consider you guys my professional help!

But I will probably end up going to radio shack and ask them how to use a voltmeter/multimeter.

The green wire I'm referring to is running to the reverse lights for the car. I think this is the wire that supplies power to the reverse lights. it is not a camera wire.

I spliced the camera power wire and found a red wire and a bare copper wire. I'm assuming the red wire is the power wire and the bare copper wire is the ground wire. I'm planning on tapping the green reverse light wire with the camera's red wire, but not sure what to do with the bare copper wire. Just attach it to the chassis somehow? should i wrap the bare wire in electrical tape? Just think it looks odd with no shield/wrap of any kind.

Thanks in advance for your help!
No problem...we're here when you need us.....now about those UCLA girls.....
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by visuelz
No problem...we're here when you need us.....now about those UCLA girls.....
Those UCLA girls are pretty fantastic.

Back to my camera install. I took some pics of the display, the reverse light wires, and the camera wires. If anyone can offer some advice, I'd appreciate it. I'm pretty sure I know what to do now, after making the mistake the first time, but it wouldn't hurt if I could get some confirmation from the experts. I went to radio shack and they were no help. 3 questions:

1. here is a pic of the reverse light harness and wires. looks like 2 wires, green and black. i think green is where the power is, black is ground. there is some electrical tape on the green wire where i tapped it the first time. if someone can confirm that green wire is the power wire and black is ground, that'd be great. also, is ground the same as negative?

2. here is a pic of the camera wires. i initially spliced the wire without the battery attachment and there were 2 wires, one red and one bare copper wire. electrical tape is covering that original splice. later i realized that was stupid and i should have used the battery attachment and clipped the wires there. i think the red is power and the black is ground. again, confirmation from an expert here would be appreciated.

3. last is a picture of the display. note that it is powered by a 9 volt battery at the moment. i haven't tapped any wires in my car yet. also, the camera is pretty poor quality. i'm planning on replacing it. just bought a cheapo to try out this diy. much thanks to phisigbrotha for the original write-up and to etonek for his tips. if anyone can suggest a good quality camera, with a mirror image, and wide degree of visibility both vertical and horizontal so i can see the bumper and what's directly behind me, i'd appreciate it.