Headlight appears fogged/opaque. Replace it? If so, from where?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight appears fogged/opaque. Replace it? If so, from where?

Hello everyone.

First things first, forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong section. Anyways, I own an 04 TSX (2.4L 4-cylinder, manual transmission). This car's been great to me since I purchased it from a buddy a little over two years ago. Just yesterday, I noticed the first problem I've ever had with it. I noticed that the driver side headlight appears foggy and not transparent like the passenger side one. Upon a closer look I then found a tiny fracture running vertically from the base of the assembly. Could this crack have allowed moisture to enter the assembly, leading to the foggy appearance? Anyways, the easiest solution to this problem would be to simply replace the light. I've decided to purchase an aftermarket light online, and I've already done some browsing around for stores. After narrowing it down to two vendors, I don't want to make a purchase unless I'm sure that either of the stores is legitimate. I'm concerned that one may not be, since the difference in pricing is so significant between the two. Has anyone ever used either of the following companies and can verify that they are in fact legitimate? Thanks in advance.

http://www.go-part.com/0405-acura-ts...r-p-11510.html
or
http://www.jcwhitney.com/original-eq...61&zmap=335590
Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
There has been a TSB regarding our headlamps. The seal on the top of the headlight unit has been known to allow moisture or water to leak inside over time which caused condensation within the unit. The fix by Acura is to have metal clips installed to aid in the closure of these failing seals. Of course over time there will be cloudiness that forms with an aging headlamp (such as the case with mine). I tried various over-the-counter remedies, but it's not the same as having "new" headlamps.

I recently replaced both my OEM headlight assemblies with OEM replacements. I bought them from http://www.autolightsbulbs.com/Acura...autolight.aspx It took 3 days from the time of order by the time I got them via UPS.

I've heard of JC Whitney, but not the other site.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced

This happened to me, and my dealer replaced it for free, and I was out of warranty.

Before you open the materials you ordered, you might want to try and get it done for free at the dealership.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by philliesfan980
This happened to me, and my dealer replaced it for free, and I was out of warranty.

Before you open the materials you ordered, you might want to try and get it done for free at the dealership.
say what! Oh well.
At $300 for both assemblies and my free labor, I don't feel terrible. I feel quite good knowing I was able to DIY. If it were $1000, then I'd
Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PACman
say what! Oh well.
At $300 for both assemblies and my free labor, I don't feel terrible. I feel quite good knowing I was able to DIY. If it were $1000, then I'd
In all fairness, I should disclose that I had never gone to the dealer before, so they may have been looking at it like a "Hey, here's a chance to possibly get a customer for life", and used it as a goodwill opportunity. Heck it worked, I've been back for a few oil changes since that happened.