Front end shimmies....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 10:30 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Front end shimmies....

My husband has a 2004 TSX (34,000 mi) he's not home to drive it much.
When the car had 5000 mi on it, the front end started to shimmy. He took it in, they ground the rotors. Said it was fixed. No it wasn't. Took it back 3 more times, ground the rotors. Finally REPLACED the rotors and pads. He took it in to have it aligned and the tires balanced. It STILL shimmies. At ALL speeds. (and -I- think the clutch is slipping, but he says no. I've been driving longer than he has and have always driven a stick. I have an RSX-S)
Is there a fix for the shimmy and the clutch ??? ( I hate the darn car, but he wouldn't listen to me when I told him NOT to buy it, I had a feeling it was gonna be trouble and it is..)
We bought the car new, first one sold off the lot here in n.w. FL and we return to the dealer for all our service. You'd think they'd FIX the stupid thing.

Thanks for any and all help..

Chrys
Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 PM
B A N N E D

http://photos.imageevent.com/astrobo...sb/B07-021.pdf

you're in the same boat as me. new 2006 with shitty brake problems. everyone in here is going to suggest just getting aftermarket pads.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm an 04 6MT and love the car. Absolutely the most fun I've had with a FWD Honda.

Now, first off, it is a known issue that the OEM brake pads are leaving deposits, so I recommend going aftermarket. There are a few vendors on here selling great packages, so search for them (Excelerate and MrHeelToe). Secondly, I'm getting new axles because with all my mods I've gotten more HP and torque combined with heavier tires (damn those Avon Tech M500s 225/50s), an accident early in its life and quite possible cheap inboard CVs, they have failed at 75k miles. I get a shimmy under accel at 60 mph but if you let off the gas, it goes away. If you are getting a shimmy regardless of accel, then you need to look at new tires. Don't go cheap on the mount and balance. FYI, if you are still running the stock Michilens, they are shyt. Well known, well documented that a set of Bridgestones will make the world a better place.

As a point of curiosity, you didn't mention why you hate the car except for this one problem. I would hate your service department for not fixing it the first time.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:02 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by moda_way
I'm an 04 6MT and love the car. Absolutely the most fun I've had with a FWD Honda.

Now, first off, it is a known issue that the OEM brake pads are leaving deposits, so I recommend going aftermarket. There are a few vendors on here selling great packages, so search for them (Excelerate and MrHeelToe). Secondly, I'm getting new axles because with all my mods I've gotten more HP and torque combined with heavier tires (damn those Avon Tech M500s 225/50s), an accident early in its life and quite possible cheap inboard CVs, they have failed at 75k miles. I get a shimmy under accel at 60 mph but if you let off the gas, it goes away. If you are getting a shimmy regardless of accel, then you need to look at new tires. Don't go cheap on the mount and balance. FYI, if you are still running the stock Michilens, they are shyt. Well known, well documented that a set of Bridgestones will make the world a better place.

As a point of curiosity, you didn't mention why you hate the car except for this one problem. I would hate your service department for not fixing it the first time.
Not trying to jack this post, but i have a shimmy in the right front, mainly when cornering and accelerating hard out of a right hand corner. (When the RF wheel is unloaded) Steering wheel shakes a little but you can feel it in the chassis. Putting the new Tokico's on here today but i don't know of where else to look. I'm great on braking and any other time, just mainly pushing the car into and out of a decent right hand turn, off ramps are perfect examples.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:51 PM
5th Gear

Talking shimmy

I'm just not a fan of 4 dr cars...I like small cars I can corner and go fast in, in the TSX I feel like I'm lumbering around. ( my husband doesn't like MY car either, so we're even.)

I told him a long time ago to drop the Michelin's ( I have Bridgestone Potenza Pole Pos. 3's...love'em to death..). I also told him to have them check out those CV joints, but he never listens to me....so I'll print out what you all have to say and maybe he'll listen to YOU.

Thanks all !!!