Found Rattle spot, need help getting to it

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 07:56 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Found Rattle spot, need help getting to it

I have pinpointed a rattle that is KILLING me. It is in the steering wheel, kinda behind the horn. I need to take off the plastic housing so I can get to the area and secure whatever is loose.

Only problem is I don't want to set off the airbag so I don't want to just start pulling and unscrewing things.

Anyone tell me what exactly has to be done to get to the innerds of the steering wheel safely?

Thanks peeps
Old 03-31-2005, 08:30 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a similar problem. I had the dealership install the fog lamps and I think they might not have secured the wires when they changed the light switch.
Anyways...I don't know if this will help but have a look; it shows disassembled steering wheel.

http://www.acuraparts247.com/sunnyside/jsp/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=TSX&catcgry2= 2004&catcgry3=4DR+TSX+NAVIGATION&catcgry4=KA6MT&ca tcgry5=STEERING+WHEEL+(SRS)&ListAll=All&vinsrch=no
Old 04-01-2005, 06:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I have pinpointed a rattle that is KILLING me. It is in the steering wheel, kinda behind the horn. I need to take off the plastic housing so I can get to the area and secure whatever is loose.

Only problem is I don't want to set off the airbag so I don't want to just start pulling and unscrewing things.

Anyone tell me what exactly has to be done to get to the innerds of the steering wheel safely?

Thanks peeps
There is a dealer TSB for this probelm - have them deal with it. It has to do with the airbag resistor I believe.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:15 AM
My Garage

How do I find the TSB?
Old 04-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i didnt think there was a tsb for this buuuuut... I posted awhile back that my only rattle was the steering wheel one. I brought it in to be fixed and they found that one of the airbag wires wasnt snapped into its clip, so they snapped it in and said it was fine. Next day I picked up the car and it still made noise.

I brought it back the next week and the svc guy calls me and says its the headlight stalk and that he can hear it when he taps on the wheel (airbag removed). I said I was aware the stalk has a slight jiggly feel to it, but it did that since the day i got it and im positive its not the noise. I told him if you smack the wheel with your palm, you can hear it come from behind the airbag.

Long story short, he replaced the entire airbag/horn assembly and the noise has been gone ever since (knock on wood). If I were you I would just nag and nag until they swap out that part and call it a day. They obviously dont have enough sense to consider it might be inside the assembly...

Good Luck
Old 04-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
i didnt think there was a tsb for this buuuuut... I posted awhile back that my only rattle was the steering wheel one. I brought it in to be fixed and they found that one of the airbag wires wasnt snapped into its clip, so they snapped it in and said it was fine. Next day I picked up the car and it still made noise.

I brought it back the next week and the svc guy calls me and says its the headlight stalk and that he can hear it when he taps on the wheel (airbag removed). I said I was aware the stalk has a slight jiggly feel to it, but it did that since the day i got it and im positive its not the noise. I told him if you smack the wheel with your palm, you can hear it come from behind the airbag.

Long story short, he replaced the entire airbag/horn assembly and the noise has been gone ever since (knock on wood). If I were you I would just nag and nag until they swap out that part and call it a day. They obviously dont have enough sense to consider it might be inside the assembly...

Good Luck
Also, theres a TON of posts about this on this forum. Most say different things about how they were fixed, but point blank, its the airbag assembly. Use your best judgement and better ear.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:47 PM
My Garage

I do hear it when i smack on the steering wheel, so we probably had the same rattle huh.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:47 PM
Instructor

damn, i just started noticing the same noise.