AT fluid change recommendations: Please read:I have searched

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT fluid change recommendations: Please read:I have searched

I have just searched/read for 2 hours and am still a confused.

My car is an 06 5AT with ~62K on it. The tranny fluid has never been touched. I have read numerous posts; some are saying just drain and fill with approx 3 qts and others are recommending taking it to a dealership or reputable shop and having the whole system not 'flushed" but drained and filled but using a certain machine to get all of the fluid out in one shot (not sure how many qts total.)

I do want to get some service performed but am not sure what to do. My car is SC'd and I don't mind pushing the pedal to the floor on occasion but all-in-all I would say the car is not driven hard.

I don't want an Acura dealership to try to bend me over moneywise to do the job... what is a reasonable cost for the LI, NY area to get this done at the dealership? Is it more advisable to go to a reputable shop with the Honda/Acura ATF in hand and just have them do it? I read a post on the 2G TSX side that mentioned a synthetic fluid; anyone ever heard of such a product that may be more applicable to my cars needs?

I just want to have the CORRECT service perfomed for a reasonable price. I am dropping my car off to have an auto tensioner put on with a new belt and I can have them do the tranny fluid service if need be. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Changing out the AT fluid is super easy. Drain, fill 3 qts, drive a little, drain and re-fill, this would replace most of the fluid. I would stick with Honda ATF, I'm SC'd as well and do track my car several times a year in my AT. I've probably changed my ATF 4 times already and I'm only at 70k miles. I'll be replacing my ATF filter soon too. You don't have to change it but it is only a $15 part and it looks super easy to change. The hardest part of changing the ATF fluid is removing the under body tray which gets in the way. Since I change my fluid so often I actually cut out a small opening to get to the drain bolt and help it drain with less mess.

Last edited by evenq; 11-10-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I recommend using nothing but Honda ATF and changing every 15000 miles. Honda AT are not the most resilient.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
15k is a bit overkill. I usually change it every 30k miles (one drain and fill) and the color of the transmission fluid is still cherry red on our 95 Accord with 135k miles. To the OP, if you don't want to do this yourself, have the dealer do a drain and fill. Run it for a week or two and then get another one done. That should get you going for the next 60k miles. I don't know what it runs for labor but the fluid from a Honda dealer usually runs me a little over $3/qt and you need about 2 1/2 -3 qts for an auto and 1-2 qts for a manual (depending on model).
Old 11-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
15k miles is over kill, every 60k is more then enough. I think there was a TSB or something that stated not to use any machines when doing the transmission fluid. The recommended way to do it is by changing the fluid three times in a roll. Unplug tranny plug, fill, plug, run through gears and repeat two more times.

I did this and find it a big pain in the ass, not difficult but just long and tedious and the tranmission fluid at $7 a quart x 9 = almost $70 with tax.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by carmagnut
I have just searched/read for 2 hours and am still a confused.

My car is an 06 5AT with ~62K on it. The tranny fluid has never been touched. I have read numerous posts; some are saying just drain and fill with approx 3 qts and others are recommending taking it to a dealership or reputable shop and having the whole system not 'flushed" but drained and filled but using a certain machine to get all of the fluid out in one shot (not sure how many qts total.)

I do want to get some service performed but am not sure what to do. My car is SC'd and I don't mind pushing the pedal to the floor on occasion but all-in-all I would say the car is not driven hard.

I don't want an Acura dealership to try to bend me over moneywise to do the job... what is a reasonable cost for the LI, NY area to get this done at the dealership? Is it more advisable to go to a reputable shop with the Honda/Acura ATF in hand and just have them do it? I read a post on the 2G TSX side that mentioned a synthetic fluid; anyone ever heard of such a product that may be more applicable to my cars needs?

I just want to have the CORRECT service perfomed for a reasonable price. I am dropping my car off to have an auto tensioner put on with a new belt and I can have them do the tranny fluid service if need be. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
agree, i also cut a hole for easy access. i change mine at 45k km, because i can feel it took longer upshift on the highway. i want to change atf filter too but dont know how!!!
Old 11-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the info....
Old 11-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I was quoted $89 for trans fluid change at Precision Acura in Princeton, NJ. I'm getting mine done Nov. 30th along with my 60k service.

In the online maintenance schedule for my 2004, it states first trans fluid change at 60k, then every 30k thereafter.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Racer

Sorry I have been slow to post back. I appreciate all the chimin' in. I got a one drain/fill done by the shop that put in the auto tensioner. They said it took alittle over 3 qts. Maybe the fluid was down a bit...?? Either way the car does feel like it shifts alittle smoother and I plan to have the next session of drain/fill done soon. I do feel better that I got the initial one out of the way. Thanks again.