faint high pitched squeeling from outside

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
faint high pitched squeeling from outside

I have done a lot of google searching on this subject and it might be the brake wear indicator or heatshield however I thought I would state my issue in case I missed something.

A few days ago I was driving on a relatively high speed road that had lots of debris due to road construction. I noticed a high pitched metal on metal screetching noise which was pretty loud, I didnt take too much notice since I though it was the old Ford pickup truck driving next to me. Well, turns out it was my TSX.

The noise is much quieter and not as loud now, it appears to be coming from the rear area of the car. I cannot replicate the sound it comes and goes at it pleases. I tried to apply the e-brake and brakes when the noise appears however this made no difference, the noise would'nt go away if I depressed the brake pedal. So, my question is, can it still be my brake wear indicator? The rear pads have around 1/2" of pad material in them. I checked and pushed the heat shields around the brakes and even crawled under car and checked the exhaust heat sheilds to no avail.
Not sure if it makes any difference but the noise normally occurs above 40mph also I cannot prove it but I heard something that hit my car during the time this noise started. But not unsure if it happened before or after this noise started. Something like a rock or debris hitting area of car but unsure where exactly, was a loud thud by something hitting a non metalic area of car.

Hoping for some other areas that I could inspect. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it were the brakes, they should be temporarily quieter after depressing them. Maybe it's a wheel bearing? Does the pitch change with speed? Dang! your car has all sorts of sounds!
Old 11-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ferrisbueller
If it were the brakes, they should be temporarily quieter after depressing them. Maybe it's a wheel bearing? Does the pitch change with speed? Dang! your car has all sorts of sounds!
I think it was the rear brake pads. I remove the rear pads and noticed the inner pad was very thing. The edge of the wear indicator was a little shiney indicating that it was touching the rotor.

I need some rear pads now Irony is that I bought some front OE pads a couple months ago thinking they needed changing but they still have approx 45% life in them.

Anyone wanna trade?