Engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine vibration

Hey Guys,

My 2004 TSX has engine idle vibration problem. I live in Calgary,Canada and have 24k on it and I love this car. Since last summer I noticed that when I am idling in front of traffice light and the car is on "Drive" once a while it suddenly will have very noticable vibration ( like shivering ).
I took it back to dealer last summer and they told me it was the air conditioning motor turning on & off and it is normal.
It was - 36 degree C last week in Calagry and I have the temp. turn up to +28 degree C in the car . The vibration was still there and I don't think the A/C was on when it was - 36 degree C out side . I took it back to the dealer and they checked all spark plugs and engine mounts and they told me my car is fine and did not notice any vibration.
I was told that because it is 4 cylinder V-tech engine it is kind of supposed running a bit rough than any other 4 cylinder . Can any one answer this question or any one have the same problem.

P.S. I called the Acura tech line and the rep. was not much helpful and keep telling me talk to the Service Manager at the dealer. This is the kind of service I received from Acura.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vitus
My 2004 TSX has engine idle vibration problem. I live in Calgary,Canada and have 24k on it and I love this car. Since last summer I noticed that when I am idling in front of traffice light and the car is on "Drive" once a while it suddenly will have very noticable vibration ( like shivering ).
I took it back to dealer last summer and they told me it was the air conditioning motor turning on & off and it is normal.
It was - 36 degree C last week in Calagry and I have the temp. turn up to +28 degree C in the car . The vibration was still there and I don't think the A/C was on when it was - 36 degree C out side . I took it back to the dealer and they checked all spark plugs and engine mounts and they told me my car is fine and did not notice any vibration.
I was told that because it is 4 cylinder V-tech engine it is kind of supposed running a bit rough than any other 4 cylinder . Can any one answer this question or any one have the same problem.

P.S. I called the Acura tech line and the rep. was not much helpful and keep telling me talk to the Service Manager at the dealer. This is the kind of service I received from Acura.
"I called the Acura tech line and the rep. was not much helpful and keep telling me talk to the Service Manager at the dealer. This is the kind of service I received from Acura."

No one is going to try to try you what the problem is over the phone. You have a problem that can be very difficult to find; especially if everything seems okay under hard acceleration and at cruise. It could be anything from water in the fuel to a misfire by one of the spark plugs (but not necessarily caused by the spark plug) to perhaps even a fuel injector. I can't tell you want to do, either. But, here is what I would consider if it was my problem:

1) Live with it for a while to see if it disappears or gets worst.
2) Change sources of fuel (different station) and upgrade to higher octane if available.
3) Add a bottle of fuel injector cleaner to the fuel. See if the auto parts store has any additive to eliminate water (or moisture) from the fuel.
4) Change the spark plugs (not just check them). Check the tips for proper burning and upgrade to higher temperature plugs if indicated (if they appear fouled).
5) Clean all ignition components around the plugs (I normally use lacquer thinner, but have never done anything to a TSX). Note: lacquer thinner will eat many plastics.
6) Add electric grease (make especially for spark plugs and ignition systems) to the spark plug boots, and any extenders, to seal out moisture and dampness.
7) Check fuel pump pressure.
8) Have the gas tank drained and steam cleaned (will require removal) and change fuel filter (in case of water in fuel). I know, you didn't leave your cap off -- it sometimes gets into the supply and the inline filters fail to trap it.

If you are normally an easy driver, find a safe place to go WOT (Wide Open Throttle) for a few seconds and repeat the procedure at least a dozen times. And, if you drive 95 percent in town, take your car on a road trip of at least 200 miles roundtrip.

And, as a remote possibility on SOME cars (like GM), a bad solenoid in the transmission can cause vibration at idle while in gear. It can even cause the engine to stall.

I would say it is most likely an inigition problem, but I would certainly not rule out other considerations.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Racer

For whatever-its-worth, my engine has very little vibration (I consider it sewing machine smooth). And, I am unable to detect when the A/C compressor cuts in.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:35 PM
10th Gear

Thank you Jim,
I changed 4 different gas stations and I am using 91 Octane gas . I did put in two bottles of fuel injection cleaner in two different tanks of gas. I might try to put a bottle of gas line anti-freeze in my tank and try it. You may be right I will try a new set of high quality spark plugs.

Thanks again and I will let you know
Old 01-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Instructor

im having the same problem.First time i took it in thry said it was normal.since then its gotten worse,i feel vibration while crusing,braking,and acceleration between 1500-3000 rpm.Im taking it in again wednesday.It starting to piss me off since i only have 9500km on my car.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Ask them to check the front engine mount and engine mount control solenoid valve. They can't just look at it. They need to use the Honda diagnostic tool to verify some settings and use a vacuum pump to verify the operation of the control solenoid.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:45 AM
Racer

Thank you Jim,
I changed 4 different gas stations and I am using 91 Octane gas . I did put in two bottles of fuel injection cleaner in two different tanks of gas. I might try to put a bottle of gas line anti-freeze in my tank and try it. You may be right I will try a new set of high quality spark plugs.
Apparently, the spark plugs that come in the engine are very good plugs since they are supposed to be good for 100 thousand miles. But, sometimes, a new plug will break down. I would suggest changing the plugs with the service manager. Ask him if Acura has plugs with more than one heat range for the TSX.

The plugs I use with my GM cars are the Bosch Platinum (about $1.80-$2.00 each) at AutoZone. In the Grand Am and 6000, they did produce a noticeable increase in performance -- and perhaps allowed the Grand Am engine (Quad 4) to run a little smoother at idle. But, I can not, at this time, recommend using any plug other than what Acura recommends for the TSX.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Audi Driving Snob

Does anyone have a service manual that indicates what "heat rating" the stock plugs are?
Old 01-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

NGK IZFR6K11

The 6 indicates a medium heat range. I used to have the actual chart to decipher all those numbers and letters. I'll post it if I can find it...
Old 01-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Race Director

I get it all the time. If i turn my steeringwheel it goes away, its annoying as fuck!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Okay, here is the spark plug chart.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Instructor

just took my car in.It shaking like crazy and they say its fine.Now im really pissed.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Well, did you ask them to check the motor mount? This front motor mount is unlike any other motor mount. It's controlled by the ECU via the solenoid and it's a source of vibration problem.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Pro

hmmm, I've recently noticed the same type of engine vibration at idle. It definitely wasn't there a month ago or before. It appeared coincidently with the arrival of some really cold weather...I'm going in for an oil change in a month, I'll inquire at that time
Old 01-24-2005, 04:20 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
I find the vibartion goes away completely once the car warms up.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:20 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by domn
I find the vibartion goes away completely once the car warms up.
I think you're probably right. I'll pay attention and see if that happens
Old 01-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ same here, no vibration after warm up. I hope mine has no engine problems other than rattles!
Old 02-21-2005, 09:23 AM
4th Gear

Unhappy engine vibration issues

HELLO

same problem here as well with annoying engine vibration,pretty well all the time.

i'm just getting into having it looked at,so will hopefully have more detailed info as to the cause.

(CAR IS A AUTO TRANS.)

mine feels like a bad plug,vacuum leak or engine balance issue. most noticeable cold but really never goes away. just over 16,000 kms (canadian car)

i have heard from other owner's that they have pulled the factory plugs and found them to all be inproperly gapped!!!

as well,i have also heard of tons of other people with same issue,with varying degrees of seriousness.

i.e.

one plug at .41 another at .45 for example.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:46 PM
5th Gear

Hi guys, I'm having the same problem. Have not talked to the dealer yet but by adjusting the 2 rubber screws on the hood I've minimized vibration. It seems that vibration from motor causes the hood to vibrate and make more noise at the point it can be felt at steering wheel and pedals. Now its almost gone.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:06 PM
Banned

I think that's rubbish.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xtremepr
Hi guys, I'm having the same problem. Have not talked to the dealer yet but by adjusting the 2 rubber screws on the hood I've minimized vibration. It seems that vibration from motor causes the hood to vibrate and make more noise at the point it can be felt at steering wheel and pedals. Now its almost gone.

Can you be more specific,what did you do to the screws?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Pro

I get the same vibration issues from a cold start.. after the car warms up the vibration goes away. It is weird. The only issue i'm having is this damn noise the car makes sometimes while I am idling in "drive" at a stop sign or traffic light... it sounds like a fast tapping sound but it doesn't happen all the time. When I shift to neutral, the sound goes away.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:45 AM
5th Gear

rubber screws

Maybe theres a different word in English for what I call Rubber Screws (sorry my main language it's spanish) but basically they're just that, two rubber screws you can tighten or loosen to adjust the space between the hood and the grill. When your hood is a little loose it will make your car vibrate when idle.

I noticed it started happenning after my car came from 9k Maintenace. So probably they messed with them by mistake. I'll upload a picture tomorrow to show what i mean (and maybe learn a new automotive word in English).

X.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:40 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by xtremepr
Maybe theres a different word in English for what I call Rubber Screws (sorry my main language it's spanish) but basically they're just that, two rubber screws you can tighten or loosen to adjust the space between the hood and the grill. When your hood is a little loose it will make your car vibrate when idle.

I noticed it started happenning after my car came from 9k Maintenace. So probably they messed with them by mistake. I'll upload a picture tomorrow to show what i mean (and maybe learn a new automotive word in English).

X.

I also have this question. colud you show me the picture??
Old 06-02-2005, 09:12 PM
Banned

Here are the steps you should take:

1) Go to the dealer

2) Let them fix it under warranty

3) If they can't fix it under warranty then pay for the parts and let the dealer do, or if you are knowlegable enough do it yourdelf...

Basically let a proffesional diagnose the problem and then it won't be hard...
Old 06-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Senior Moderator

It seems like all the reported engine vibration problems are from AT.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Intermediate

Is this a problem that is just occuring with ATs? I drive a 6MT and haven't had this, but my girlfriend's Passat is an AT and has this exact problem that you are describing.

By the way vitus, it's good to see another Calgarian TSXer on here. I haven't heard anybody mention they were from Calgary before.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:28 AM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by JTso
It seems like all the reported engine vibration problems are from AT.
that's not true. i don't have it......yet.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:49 AM
Racer

vitus,

Did you get the issue resolved? What was the solution?
Old 06-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mg7726
that's not true. i don't have it......yet.
Haha... I said "all the reported" are from AT. You have not reported yet... but please let us know when you do.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
vitus,

Check out this thread regarding TSBs. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23028

There is a TSB for the newer model Accord AT with engine vibration problem. The solution is to replace the front engine mount. Granted, it's not a TSX but the problem is very similar. Go check it out as reference.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Got Milk???

5AT here. I am able to feel extra vibration coming from the engine area whenever I turn on the AC. And also notice it when the car hasnt fully warmed up. It usually vibrates hard when I'm WOT or high in rpm
Old 06-03-2005, 02:02 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Jim Holloman
vitus,

Jim,

Finally I convinced the service manager the engine vibration is very noticable.
End up he re-torqued all engine mounts, It seem to be not so noticable on the steering wheel when the A/C kicks in & out, so far I just had it done 2 weeks ago and it is too early to say the vibration proble is resolved.
I will keep you posted.

Thank you

Vitus
Old 06-03-2005, 02:04 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by HPower
Is this a problem that is just occuring with ATs? I drive a 6MT and haven't had this, but my girlfriend's Passat is an AT and has this exact problem that you are describing.

By the way vitus, it's good to see another Calgarian TSXer on here. I haven't heard anybody mention they were from Calgary before.

Hey HPower,

Nice to see another Calagry TSXer on this board.
Will be in touch.

Vitus
Old 06-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Master in Science

I've had a little vibration at times, but it always went away.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:18 PM
Love Heated Seats!

I have a AT with the same problem, vigrates at idle. You can feel it strongly in the steering wheel but also in both front seats. Dealer said it was "normal". I have a 12 year old miata the isn't as bad. So much for 'luxury"!
Old 06-13-2005, 08:02 PM
10th Gear

Hey Guys,

It looks like Honda has problem with this issue. we should all start to contact Honda US & Honda Canada. The more complains they received they will fast track to has the engineer to look into this problem.

Vitus