Driver power seat stopped working - warranty does not cover. now what?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Driver power seat stopped working - warranty does not cover. now what?

Car is 2004 TSX with extended "Acura care Warranty".

A month ago, i noticed that on the power driver seat, there is a problem with the reclining of the back portion. It could go only to a certain point when trying to move it closer to the steering wheel. Moving it back, towards the rear seat was working fine. 2 weeks ago, the back portion of the seat stopped moving completely. Now it's stuck at an "acceptable" driving position but it cannot be moved in any direction - back or forward.
When i push the button, i feel a small move, like it's trying to work, but then it does not budge at all. It does not feel like the motor is dead...just something is stuck (or broken).

Took it to the dealer. After they had the car for 2 days, they called me today to tell me that the Acura Care Ext. warranty does no cover this problem and that the seat repair will cost me $1200!!! I was shocked!! I told them that this not acceptable and that a basic component such a power seat should be covered under this Acura Care plan. The service adviser was friendly and he said that he'll try to do something after he talks to the Acura district manager, but no promises were given.

So, to make long story short ...
1. Does this even sound possible - Acura Care warranty plan that will not cover a defective SEAT?!?

2. If they tell me that there will be no exception and i need to pay $1200 to fix it, i'll take the car from them as is. I cannot spend $1200 on a seat repair. Question is.... has anyone here repaired such problem before on their own?

3. If i have to repair myself... would it be easier/cheaper to buy a used seat from junk yard for $300-400 OR should i attempt to repair the original seat?

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Unregistered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is that whole seat is kinda expensive bc of airbag. You would be lucky to pick 1 up for $300 from a junkyard. So, try to fix the problem rather than just swap a seat. Also, do not go to the dealership. private shops can do this type of job and they may charge waaaaaaaay less. just my opinions
Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
$1200 to repair the recline feature is crazy. Maybe this page can help you.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
Old 02-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds like they just want to replace the seat instead of actually trying to fix it. If it were me, I'd pulling things apart to figure out what the problem is.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 PM
Instructor

what you need to do is call ur extended warranty ppl and talk to a manager or something. because i had a similar problem. my hfl went out and the part alone was 1200. and my extended warranty did not want to cover it so i called and argued and they ended up fixing it. so that might be ur next step in what u do.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I would try a private shop as well.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
So, here is an interesting update.

Dealer calls me today and tells me that district manager did not approve the "free repair" of the seat and that if i want it fixed, i still need to pay $1200 for parts/labor. I was not happy and i told them that i will try to somehow fix the car myself. I also went there in person because i wanted to discuss something totally unrelated with them. Car was still in repair garage (they are working on replacing bad rear control arm).

I looked at the "defective" seat, tried to move it....and guess what - it WORKS now!!! It works just like it worked when we got the car years ago.
I asked the technician how come it works and he just replied (almost surprised that i am even asking) ... "oh yeah, it works. Something was jammed but i shook it a bit and it started working just fine".

I told the service adviser that now my seat all of a sudden works just fine, ... he acted all happy for me and told me that he is also surprised. !?!?!? I just left.

I don't know how to interpret this whole thing. Were they honest with me? Was my seat really in need for $1200 repair? Don't they talk to their technicians before they call me to ask for $1200 repair? I really don't get it!

I am happy that everything works now. Hopefully it will keep working.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Instructor

well thats good to hear that it is fixed. but the dealer is full of s*#t sometimes. they have been trying to fix a problem on my car for about the last 3 months. so now i am having someone else look at it and they have been looking at it for 3 days now and still cant narrow it down. so i guess u r lucky that it was jus "jammed" lol
Old 02-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool danmm7. You would of been the 1st I've heard of a defective reclining feature. Maybe a penny or nuts got stuck down there. But it sounds like SA and mechanic weren't communicating.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Unregistered User

Originally Posted by carcrazyboy68
... the dealer is full of s*#t sometimes. ...

they sure are.

My sister's husband drives Lexus LS430 and had a problem with one of the seats. I think he had to replace the electric motor and it cost him ~$400. I think the dealer wanted to replace the whole seat, but that barely justifies the price of $1200. Or does it justify the price at all ?
Old 02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Unregistered User

BTW, congrats, man !
Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would be calling the owner of that dealership and letting him know the shady ass bullshit that clown was trying to pull. The fact that he would even suggest to you that you need to pay $1200 to fix (replace) the seat without even giving it a half ass messing with is just plain asinine. He's either a hack or a con artist.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Unregistered User

^ I would rather call Acura headquarters and tell them about this dealer. But u r right for the most part, Luke. This was an outrage....
Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Sounds like one of your power control wires may have been jammed in hte seat movement mechanism.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:42 AM
Make a hole, coming thru!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Um ... none of you has the paperwork detailing what is and is not covered by your AcuraCare warranty? My fake AcuraCare warranty that a Hendrick auto dealer slipped me came with an "Acura Extended Warranty" brochure that detailed what's covered. Really, very little isn't covered. For the most part, it extends the original factory warranty.

The July, 2007, version of Acura's Pre-owned Certified brochure contains the following, which seems pretty transparent:

For even greater peace of mind, you might consider purchasing Acura
Care® Certifi ed Additional Coverage. This extends the same coverage
provided in the Acura 12-month/
12,000 mile limited warranty.*
So a dealer SA claiming, Oh, the power seat isn't covered.... I'm calling .

Last edited by davidspalding; 02-08-2009 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:18 PM
10th Gear

loose driver's seat

I have a similar problem, in that my driver's seat rocks back and forth without moving on the rails, about a quarter inch, with a muted clunk, so it's not the attachment of the rails. The power adjustments are ok. My dealer has ordered a seat kit and will instal it under warranty. They said it's not extreme, but they recognize the safety issue AND the annoyance factor.

What it looks like is movement of the backrest and upper seat, including the back and seat cushion, but not the base above the rails. I've never seen a seat do this! Something loose inside the seat.....