Does this sound like brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009 | 12:20 PM
Advanced

Does this sound like brake pads?

Last night, I noticed that my 2005 TSX is making a squealing sound, which sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car. The sound is intermittent, whether I'm braking or not, but is more consistent when braking. The car has 39K miles, which sounds like the time when the pads should go from reading posts here.

Does this sounds like the wear indicators on the brake pads even though the noise isn't only when braking?

Thanks
Old 06-26-2009 | 10:10 AM
9th Gear

Time for new pads

It sounds like you are going to need brake pads to me. I had the same issue not long ago. The sound is kind of like fingernails going over a chalkboard. It it intermittent at first, but will become more and more regular. Once in awhile I got the noise when I would hit the top of a hill or something like that, but generally it should be just when the brakes are applied.

It will become more and more regular until you can't stand the sound anymore.

Make sure you buy new pads from the dealer. They are way better of a metal then the junk you will find in the autoparts store. If you can find a local guy to put them on without turning the rotors, you are all the better.

My back pads went first at 100k miles. I am still on the original front ones. I coast a lot....
Old 06-26-2009 | 10:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tjpavlov
It sounds like you are going to need brake pads to me. I had the same issue not long ago. The sound is kind of like fingernails going over a chalkboard. It it intermittent at first, but will become more and more regular. Once in awhile I got the noise when I would hit the top of a hill or something like that, but generally it should be just when the brakes are applied.

It will become more and more regular until you can't stand the sound anymore.

Make sure you buy new pads from the dealer. They are way better of a metal then the junk you will find in the autoparts store. If you can find a local guy to put them on without turning the rotors, you are all the better.

My back pads went first at 100k miles. I am still on the original front ones. I coast a lot....

I've had great luck with Hawks on all 4 corners and consider the OEM pads to be shyte. Question is turning of the rotors as well. It should be done, but have found that new Brembo rotors are just as cost effective. Having said that, my rear rotors were worn very lightly and not grooves, so I put the Hawks HPS pads on. No complaints at all.
Old 06-26-2009 | 10:50 AM
Drifting

Hey Moda,

Do you get brake squeal with the Brembo and Hawk combo? I've been running this combo for a bit more than 30K miles and despite having good pad and disc thickness; and anti-squeal spray on the shimmies, I still get squeal. I've been chalking up the reason being the disc and pad combo. BTW, no loss in braking performance.