DC SPORTS HEADER Hissing Sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006 | 10:43 AM
2nd Gear

DC SPORTS HEADER Hissing Sound

Hey everyone, I have a little problem or at least I think i do. I just got my DC SPORTS Headers installed yesterday and i notices a hissing sound when i accelerate. Does anyone know what it is or is that normal? I read some of the treads on here but i didnt really find the same problem i have , i mean RIGHT after the install it was making that hissing sound. By the way i have a Injen CAI, Comptech Exhaust, and of the headers.

HELP!!
Old 11-04-2006 | 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

I would double check the installation and look for leaks, then tighten nuts/bolts if necessary. If that checks out, then the sound is most likely coming from the flex pipe design without the inner mesh.
Old 11-04-2006 | 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

As I understand it, its just the way it sounds due to the flex pipe design. My topspeed header is similar.
Old 11-06-2006 | 10:54 AM
Advanced

when I installed my comptech headers I had a similar problem. It truned out that the gasket on the down pipe was mis alined (leak). I fixed it and it went away.
Old 11-07-2006 | 12:00 PM
Cruisin'

hissing

About 8 years ago, I put a DC sport header in my 1997 Integra, and it made that same hissing sound during acceleration. It would appear to be a part of their design.
Old 11-07-2006 | 03:21 PM
Time to Climb

mine's fine
Old 11-07-2006 | 06:41 PM
MACura TSX

i just got mine installed a few weeks ago on my 2006 there is a hissing noise at low rpms but once i get some power goin it stops. i took it back to the body shop they checked everything they ssaid its fine. i kinda like it
Old 11-08-2006 | 05:40 PM
Advanced

I've had mine on for almost 2 years now and it has always made that "hissing" and its never gave me any type of problems.
Old 11-08-2006 | 10:20 PM
The Power of a Grill

it hisses.
Old 11-08-2006 | 11:11 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

ssssssssssssssssss
Old 11-09-2006 | 12:27 AM
The Power of a Grill

i have to say, it did hiss a whole lot at the beginning....but i had a broken gasket....now it just hisses a little. but it still hissessssssssssssssssssssssssss. it should be heard, but not overwhelming, just in low range when your getting the car going.
Old 11-09-2006 | 12:46 AM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I read a lot about the DC header hiss but I don't have it as far as I can discern. I'm not complaining, just saying I think a lot of them do and some don't but it's not indicative of a problem.
Old 06-23-2007 | 01:30 PM
Instructor

Thread resurection!

I just had a Topspeed/DC replica header installed on thursday. I do hear the hissing. However it's so bad that today we put the car back on the lift to check for leaks. We cannot find a leak so it may be normal.

My question is, how loud yours are? Mine is actually louder than the Injen CAI when I go full throttle, or mid throttle. Probably because the sound is closer to the cabin than the CAI. Would changing the flex pipe help this problem. I'm not sure I can keep this on with that awful noise.

Thanks.
Old 06-24-2007 | 02:39 PM
Senior Moderator

A double-walled flex pipe will significantly reduce the noise, assuming all other factors are equal. Before doing anything drastic, check to make sure it was properly installed, it isn't damaged, and you don't have any big air leaks.

I went ahead and did this on my DC header.
Old 06-26-2007 | 06:36 PM
Instructor

Like I said we put it back on the lift to look for leaks and could not find any. It sounds like that though, an air leak. There is also a broken whistling noise when more air is going thru (ie full throttle).

I knew I would have more sound but not like this. This sound does not belong on a car like that. It sounds like I need a muffler job!

Also Reach, did you change yours for a DC or Comptech? I can't remember. Did you change it for that problem? If it's the DC, does it have the same hiss than the Topspeed?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2007 | 07:02 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

^^ Yeah, change your flex pipe. I have an extra DC header a-pipe if you need a loaner one.
Old 06-26-2007 | 07:11 PM
Instructor

Interesting...
Old 06-27-2007 | 08:47 AM
Midwest TSXer

Anyone have the dimensions of the flexpipe on the Topspeed headers?? I am looking to find a replacement double wall flex to put in its place...thanks in advance....
Old 06-27-2007 | 09:23 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KingTSX
Anyone have the dimensions of the flexpipe on the Topspeed headers?? I am looking to find a replacement double wall flex to put in its place...thanks in advance....
I had Mr. Heeltoe put on the Topspeed header this past Friday. We quickly discovered that there is a hole in the flexpipe and it makes a horrible sound, like a fartcan exhaust with a hole in it. The header is on the car right now. I can feel the performance improvement although it seems to sputter a bit when I go from low throttle to full throttle (this is probably due to the hole). Anyway, I will be replacing the flexpipe as well. It should be identical to the DC Header since the Topspeed is a knockoff of that design. Here is a link to a post by JTso where he discusses the flexpipe replacement: https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...52&postcount=7
Old 06-27-2007 | 12:01 PM
Instructor

so dc finaly made headers for the 06? or do the 05 hook up jus fine? are they carb leagal?
Old 06-27-2007 | 02:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jlukja
It should be identical to the DC Header since the Topspeed is a knockoff of that design.
I'm not sure it is. Mine looks like only 4 inches for the flex pipe. It's definetaly not 6 inches.
Old 06-27-2007 | 03:49 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vilmar5
I'm not sure it is. Mine looks like only 4 inches for the flex pipe. It's definetaly not 6 inches.
I havent' measured mine, but I do know that it was a little short and Mr. Heeltoe had to "pull in" the cat a little bit (1/2" to 1") to make the connection.
Old 06-27-2007 | 04:43 PM
Team Owner

Where did you guys buy your Topspeed.
Old 06-27-2007 | 05:08 PM
Senior Moderator

I havent' measured mine, but I do know that it was a little short and Mr. Heeltoe had to "pull in" the cat a little bit (1/2" to 1") to make the connection.
There is a gap between the header (regardless of OEM, DC, Comptech or Topspeed) and the cat converter. The gap is not a problem with the OEM header as it has a spring loaded upper mount plus a flex pipe. However, this gap could potentially be a problem for other headers as it puts additional stress on the flex pipe.
Old 06-27-2007 | 05:35 PM
Midwest TSXer

I had Mr. Heeltoe put on the Topspeed header this past Friday. We quickly discovered that there is a hole in the flexpipe and it makes a horrible sound, like a fartcan exhaust with a hole in it. The header is on the car right now. I can feel the performance improvement although it seems to sputter a bit when I go from low throttle to full throttle (this is probably due to the hole). Anyway, I will be replacing the flexpipe as well. It should be identical to the DC Header since the Topspeed is a knockoff of that design. Here is a link to a post by JTso where he discusses the flexpipe replacement: https://acurazine.com/forums/sho...352&postcount=7
Thank you for the help with this...I just received my topspeed header today via UPS and I will be looking to change this out before I install it in the near future...
Old 06-27-2007 | 06:09 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JTso
There is a gap between the header (regardless of OEM, DC, Comptech or Topspeed) and the cat converter. The gap is not a problem with the OEM header as it has a spring loaded upper mount plus a flex pipe. However, this gap could potentially be a problem for other headers as it puts additional stress on the flex pipe.
J, When you installed your modified DC header did you have to pull the cat towards it a bit to make the connection? I wonder if some of that "play" is to allow for metal expansion at exhaust temperatures.
Old 06-27-2007 | 07:05 PM
Senior Moderator

J, When you installed your modified DC header did you have to pull the cat towards it a bit to make the connection? I wonder if some of that "play" is to allow for metal expansion at exhaust temperatures.
Actually, I've added 1/4" to the custom cat to take up the gap. This is to prevent the flex pipe from breaking and it seems to work. I still have the very first DC header without any problems. The entire exhaust system does expand a little (approx. 1/4") when hot but the rubber exhaust mounts will provide enough flex to allow such movement.
Old 06-27-2007 | 07:14 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Hey Jlukja, it seems like all DC header owners have had to pull on the CAT/exhaust a little bit to bolt it up. When you change your flex pipe, you might want to have them extend the apipe or cut off less piping if possible, so that the new a-pipe is longer than the previous one. Good luck man. Once you get that fixed, I think you'll be a lot happier and hopefully be able to recognize any power gains a little better. Good luck man
Old 06-27-2007 | 07:18 PM
Senior Moderator

^^
Extending the flex pipe may not work because that moves the hanger away from the rubber mount. The trick is to add a spacer between the header and cat, or cat and exhaust.
Old 06-27-2007 | 08:50 PM
Instructor

So should I get a 4 or 6 inches flex pipe? 6 inches does not seem like it would fit.
Old 06-27-2007 | 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

JTso, I had the shop that did my weld job add 1/2" to the overall length of the a-pipe when they did my re-weld. The end effect was that I now had to actually push the exhaust just slightly backwards to bring the components together. That being said, it still fits just fine on the rubber hanger.

As a side note, I made markings on the pipes to compare initial and final length after re-weld. Unfortunatly the guy destroyed them. So, I have no idea what the actual, measured, added length was. I asked him again at the end and he says he was careful to extend it 1/2" exactly, but I cannot be sure. Either way, its a good system now, quiet and efficient at 26mpg primarily city driving w/ my mods.

Also, I know JTso is using the original DC flex pipe, but with all due respect, it seems (correct me if I'm wrong man) that he does not rack up as many hard driving miles as some of us depending on the TSX as our only car for 12K+ miles a year.
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:23 AM
Team Owner

I measured my Topspeed this afternoon. The mesh portion of the flex pipe is exactly 3" long and it has a 3/4" lip on either side. It appears that each lip slides over the solid pipe on either side and is welded at the joint. The solid pipe I measured at 6-5/8" circumfrence which would indicate a 2"OD solid pipe and a 2"ID flex pipe. If the repair requires the cutting of the straight pipe right at each weld line then the replacement would need to be at least 3/4"+3"+3/4" plus, lets say 1/2" on either side to allow the new lip to overlap the solid pipe for welding. That gives a total of 5-1/2" from lip edge to lip edge. To that, if I want to add another 1/2" to the overall lenght then I would be looking at a flex pipe that is 2"ID and 6" long, edge-to-edge.

JTso, Reach, does this make sense?
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:25 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by EuRTSX
Where did you guys buy your Topspeed.
I bought mine used from a member of this board.
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:28 AM
Senior Moderator

6" overall length flex pipe should be fine. It allows the flex pipe to slip over the existing pipe for easier welding/alignment.
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Reach
JTso, I had the shop that did my weld job add 1/2" to the overall length of the a-pipe when they did my re-weld. The end effect was that I now had to actually push the exhaust just slightly backwards to bring the components together. That being said, it still fits just fine on the rubber hanger.
I'm glad that it works for you. Does the rubber hanger stretch much toward the back with the extended length?
Old 06-28-2007 | 10:20 AM
Senior Moderator

No, the hangar is still straight down. The extension on the DC flange is more than long enough to cover the distance.
Old 06-28-2007 | 10:58 AM
Instructor

I measured my Topspeed this afternoon. The mesh portion of the flex pipe is exactly 3" long and it has a 3/4" lip on either side. It appears that each lip slides over the solid pipe on either side and is welded at the joint. The solid pipe I measured at 6-5/8" circumfrence which would indicate a 2"OD solid pipe and a 2"ID flex pipe. If the repair requires the cutting of the straight pipe right at each weld line then the replacement would need to be at least 3/4"+3"+3/4" plus, lets say 1/2" on either side to allow the new lip to overlap the solid pipe for welding. That gives a total of 5-1/2" from lip edge to lip edge. To that, if I want to add another 1/2" to the overall lenght then I would be looking at a flex pipe that is 2"ID and 6" long, edge-to-edge.

JTso, Reach, does this make sense?
Thanks. So the Topspeed has a 2" pipe versus of the 2.25" for the DC? I'm about ready to order the new flex pipe. I'll have to confirm this before I do.
Old 06-28-2007 | 11:26 AM
Team Owner

Thanks. So the Topspeed has a 2" pipe versus of the 2.25" for the DC? I'm about ready to order the new flex pipe. I'll have to confirm this before I do.
That's the way it looks to me. Please confirm for yourself as I'd hate to be the reason you ordered the wrong size.
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

All of the headers move down to a 2" (not 2.25") internal diameter, as that is the size of the port into the cat. I'm not sure that 0.25" at the flex pipe section is going to make much difference, since it still goes down to the correct 2" at the flange.

Johnny?
Old 06-28-2007 | 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Jan,

Sorry I somehow missed your earlier comments. I would use a 2" x 6" double walled stainless flex pipe from performance curve. This is what I used when I did my DC re-weld. In fact, I have both 2.25" and 2" pipes at my house, let me know which you'd prefer.

Quick Reply: DC SPORTS HEADER Hissing Sound