CV Axle Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 01:50 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CV Axle Questions

I've got a new one for me. Axles... Everything I've learned about working on a car has been my Acuras, and surprisingly compared to a lot of posts on here I've never really had a transmission problem with one.

My TSX recently had a oppsie and I've pin pointed it down to my passenger CV axle/joint. Bare with me if my knowledge isn't spot on, again this is the first time I've ran into such problems. I've done alternators, radiators, compressors, etc etc. But when it comes to real engine and drivetrain work I shy away from it.

Anyway, last Friday after dropping the kids off at school I came up to a stop sign, right when I was taking off (casually) I get a loud pop and dragging type sound. My first reaction was f**k I actually lost a tranny. Get it towed home and get to researching. After reading, listening, thinking, and trying I start to lean towards my axles. For these reasons below.

1. My D light is NOT blinking.

2. I was getting the the weird vibration on accelerating but couldn't put my finger on it for about 3-4 weeks.

3. My tranny has never given me problems, smooth shifts(hot or cold) nor nothing out of the ordinary.

4. Just about all the posts and videos I seen pointed at the CV axle/joins. One major symptom being after I shift (automatic btw) to any gear below reverse it would NOT let me shift back up to park without bypassing the shift lock.

Saturday, I was being lazy and only looked under and around the axles and didn't see any breaks. Discouraging. Sunday, I got around to putting it on stands and taking the wheels off. Got the front in the air and shifted it to drive. The moment of truth for me. I hop out and see the driver side still spinning (oh God) walk around to the passenger and it's not doing nothing and making some ugly sounds. I can spin it with my foot and it trying to spin but not nearly like the drivers side.

So my question(s) are
1. Will my passenger axles being toast still result in the car not moving at all? May be a dumb question or poorly worded, but a lot of the threads I seen, it was the drivers side being toasted.

2.Am I going the right direction replacing the axles? Would it be the intermittent shaft, I think it's called causing my passenger side to be done-zo? I checked my diff with the car off by spinning the one wheel to see if the other wheel spins the other way.

3. What's are your/yalls opinion on the issue?

Any and all information is helpful. If you need more details let me know and I'll try and chalk it up for you. Will update as I go. Thanks for reading and hope to hear from y'all soon!

Peaceee ✌️
​​​​